The Student Room Group

Sleep rhythm

Hi, I've been in a very awkward rhythm in the past few weeks and it's been hell trying to get back on course.

I stayed up all night the other night and just had an hour at 8am, then stayed up until about 12pm and then went to bed. I woke up at 1:30am and couldn't get back asleep despite being exhausted.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't get a decent rhythm, it seems like the 4pm - 6am day is my body's 'natural' rhythm and it won't accept any other.

What can I do?
I don't know if this will help but here's a thread on some ways to help you sleep
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=272480
Reply 2
Anonymous
No matter how hard I try, I just can't get a decent rhythm, it seems like the 4pm - 6am day is my body's 'natural' rhythm and it won't accept any other.

I've had some advice for problems like this, don't know if it works but might be worth a try. If you've been going to bed later and later so that 4pm-6am is your daytime, just go with that and keep pushing back your bedtime all the way round the clock until you get back to a "normal" sleep time.
Reply 3
trouble with pushing back your bedtime is that you fall straight back into the routine VERY easily, been doing it for 2 years now.

what i suggest is having a very active day, don't give yourself time to relax. what i'm starting to do is getting up at 7-9am every day (apart from weekends/occational day off) and then filling the day with stuff to do, especially 1 hours excercise a day in that time. another thing is to look at diet, are you eating enough fruit/veg? too much sugar?

trying to get a balance might help if you can try to fit it in and you will feel better for it. (yes i am typing this at 2am because i've fallen back into the habit due to lazyness. it will require some willpower!)

edit: just read the thread above. i'd definately recommend reading the link!

Latest