The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does that make me sexist for not taking him seriously?
Reply 2
I don't want to demean the fact that men can and are raped by women, and this is certainly something feminists overlook. But I just can't take Shia Labeouf seriously. This just seems like a desperate attempt for publicity after his bag-over-head escapade at the Oscars.
Massive respect to Mr. Labeouf for having the courage to bring this appalling attack into the public domain. Rapists thrive on fear and intimidation to silence their victims. Mr. Labeouf has ensured that this evil raping woman will pay for her crimes.
Original post by Evening
I don't want to demean the fact that men can and are raped by women, and this is certainly something feminists overlook. But I just can't take Shia Labeouf seriously. This just seems like a desperate attempt for publicity after his bag-over-head escapade at the Oscars.

I believe this is actually impossible under current English law.
Reply 6
Original post by Birkenhead

It is but it shouldn't be.
Original post by Evening
It is but it shouldn't be.

If a woman does 'rape' a man but is convicted instead of serious sexual assault I believe the sentencings are usually of a similar severity to rape.

Really? Let's hope that's changed soon.
If a woman does 'rape' a man but is convicted instead of serious sexual assault I believe the sentencings are usually of a similar severity to rape.

It's easy to add to the definition of rape, under 'penetration' something along then lines or 'forced sex'. That's literally all they need to do.
Original post by BitWindy
Really? Let's hope that's changed soon.

Would be nice but I doubt it, the issue is it relies on you being penetrated (by a penis for rape, by an object for sexual assault with a foreign object, as I understand), so a man forced against his will to have sex would need a lot of re-wording of the law to classify what happened as rape.

Only thing I don't quite get about it is "A woman could not commit rape as a principal offender, by the nature of the offence, but she could commit rape as an accomplice."

I understand if she helps a man grab a women off the street and he rapes while she watches or films or what ever. But what if two or three women overpower a man and force themselves on him? There they are not all accomplices, they're either equally guilty or you'd surely have to name one of the woman as the instigator.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Evening

I can't take him seriously either. Another former child star who is falling apart. His behaviour has been bizarre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm what
Original post by Snagprophet
It's easy to add to the definition of rape, under 'penetration' something along then lines or 'forced sex'. That's literally all they need to do.

If it was a simple as that we would have done it many years ago.
Judging by this man's track record for being a general drama queen, I remain sceptical as to the validity of this story.
Insert inappropriate Transformers joke-'looks like she took him to the dark side of the moon', 'that should be an Optimus Crime', etc.

Wow the very fact that I even first thought of joking about it is symptomatic of the gender double standard with regards to rape. Hypocritical much :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Insert inappropriate Transformers joke-'looks like she took him to the dark side of the moon', 'that should be an Optimus Crime', etc.

Wow the very fact that I even first thought of joking about it is symptomatic of the gender double standard with regards to rape. Hypocritical much :/

It;s okay bro *bro hugs*, is all dat patriarchies fault...or something.

I imagine the biggest problem is many, and this is both men and woman, cannot accept a man could ever have an erection if he wasn't up for sex, so they see rape as impossible. Obviously though the same does not apply to a woman who orgasms during forced sex...cos....yeah.
It would be nice if we could have ONE thread about an instance of a man being "raped" by a woman without the

"It's impossible for a woman to rape a man under English law"
"Oh is it? That's an outrage!"
"Indeed"

conversation.

In any case I have no idea what to think about this particular claim, apart from the fact that Shia is clearly bat**** insane.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It would be nice if we could have ONE thread about an instance of a man being "raped" by a woman without the

"It's impossible for a woman to rape a man under English law"
"Oh is it? That's an outrage!"
"Indeed"

conversation.

In any case I have no idea what to think about this particular claim, apart from the fact that Shia is clearly bat**** insane.

It's an interesting quirk of the law that, to those who don't spend their lives on TSR reading every such thread, warrants observation and discussion.
Reply 19
Original post by joey11223

Only thing I don't quite get about it is "A woman could not commit rape as a principal offender, by the nature of the offence, but she could commit rape as an accomplice."

I understand if she helps a man grab a women off the street and he rapes while she watches or films or what ever. But what if two or three women overpower a man and force themselves on him? There they are not all accomplices, they're either equally guilty or you'd surely have to name one of the woman as the instigator.

It depends on the circumstances, but from what you've said they'd all be guilty of sexual assault.

Quick Reply

Latest