The Student Room Group

Shia LaBeouf raped by woman

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
It's an interesting quirk of the law that, to those who don't spend their lives on TSR reading every such thread, warrants observation and discussion.

It might be but it's not always particularly relevant to the thread. I don't believe the OP in this case is particularly concerned with legislation surrounding the issue - more the societal reaction to the event rather than it's legal definition.

Arguably the legal definition reflects societies attitudes to the crime, but the law will always be one step behind social attitudes. In any case I think threads like this get bogged down in the legal details when the main issue gets ignored.
When I first heard this I thought it was a joke. Now I'm not so sure.
I believe this is actually impossible under current English law.

This comes up everytime lol.
Original post by DErasmus
This comes up everytime lol.

Ironically, this comment has already 'come up' and been responded to. If people are going to continue to labour under incorrect understandings of the law despite the law's repeated clarification there is no reason not to keep clarifying it until it is understood.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It might be but it's not always particularly relevant to the thread. I don't believe the OP in this case is particularly concerned with legislation surrounding the issue - more the societal reaction to the event rather than it's legal definition.

Arguably the legal definition reflects societies attitudes to the crime, but the law will always be one step behind social attitudes. In any case I think threads like this get bogged down in the legal details when the main issue gets ignored.

Indeed, it does. And it's inevitable because laws are made from social attitudes and social attitudes are constantly changing.
Reply 25
If a woman does 'rape' a man but is convicted instead of serious sexual assault I believe the sentencings are usually of a similar severity to rape.

Can I ask where you have this idea from? The maximum sentence for sexual assault is nine years, half that of rape.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I asked my friend for his opinion and he just skirted the issue. I'm convinced most people will see a man who claims to have raped as a lesser man until they a) see video footage of it happening, b) are related to him/in a close friendship with him/enter a relationship with him
Original post by Wade-
Can I ask where you have this idea from? The maximum sentence for sexual assault is nine years, half that of rape.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The maximum sentence for sexual assault is ten years, the maximum sentence for rape is life imprisonment. I didn't say their maximum sentences were similar.
Reply 28
The maximum sentence for sexual assault is ten years, the maximum sentence for rape is life imprisonment. I didn't say their maximum sentences were similar.

My mistake, I thought they were shorter. Well what gives you the idea that the length of sentence is similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Genocidal
Judging by this man's track record for being a general drama queen, I remain sceptical as to the validity of this story.

This. Not to belittle rape victims and playing down those sort of attacks, but this is an oxygen thieving Hollywood attention whore we're talking about here.
Huge amount of respect for him, poor guy :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by thunder_chunky
This. Not to belittle rape victims and playing down those sort of attacks, but this is an oxygen thieving Hollywood attention whore we're talking about here.

Most of hollywood are attention seekers. If Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian said they'd been raped would you be so sceptical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Most of hollywood are attention seekers. If Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian said they'd been raped would you be so sceptical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably.
Reply 33
Original post by thunder_chunky
Probably.

Well then why believe any random woman who says they've been raped, you never know she might be an attention seeker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
Well then why believe any random woman who says they've been raped, you never know she might be an attention seeker

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose because that belief would be based upon the presupposition that she is an attention seeker, whereas there may be ample evidence to suggest that LaBeouf, Hilton and Kardashian are like to seek attention shamelessly.
(edited 9 years ago)
It would be nice if we could have ONE thread about an instance of a man being "raped" by a woman without the

"It's impossible for a woman to rape a man under English law"
"Oh is it? That's an outrage!"
"Indeed"

conversation.

In any case I have no idea what to think about this particular claim, apart from the fact that Shia is clearly bat**** insane.

It would also be nice to have a thread about a man being raped without the:

"Oh, he is clearly just seeking attention"
"I don't trust him, he is insane"

or the inevitable

"He clearly enjoyed it"
"What a lucky guy"

that will eventually show up.

Shame we can't just stifle the debate entirely, isn't it? If only we could shout down any and all discussions of these matters.
Original post by Arkasia
It would also be nice to have a thread about a man being raped without the:

"Oh, he is clearly just seeking attention"
"I don't trust him, he is insane"

or the inevitable

"He clearly enjoyed it"
"What a lucky guy"

that will eventually show up.

Shame we can't just stifle the debate entirely, isn't it? If only we could shout down any and all discussions of these matters.

I've already explained why I don't think that line of discussion is always relevant, not even mentioning the fact that this happened in the US and therefore had approximately zero to do with UK legislation.

The rest of your post is just indulgent hyperbole, deliberately misinterpreting the nature of my post to make yourself look cool.
I've already explained why I don't think that line of discussion is always relevant, not even mentioning the fact that this happened in the US and therefore had approximately zero to do with UK legislation.

The rest of your post is just indulgent hyperbole, deliberately misinterpreting the nature of my post to make yourself look cool.

The rest of my post doesn't even involve you, so I shall ignore your last sentence.

Your explanation is "discussing legal matters is too common, and not as important as discussing social matters". That may be the case, but they are too closely linked to suggest that we should just stop talking about the law surrounding this issue. Why can we not talk about both, and in the same sentence?
I'm sorry but

"LaBeouf did not explain whether he attempted to stop the alleged attack during his silent performance at the Stephen Cohen Gallery. He was reportedly unresponsive and silent during every one-to-one meeting."

He didn't even TRY to resist? I find it hard to be sympathetic here
Original post by Another
I'm sorry but

He didn't even TRY to resist? I find it hard to be sympathetic here

agreed, I understand that in some cases a rape victim may not be kicking and screaming and fighting back but there needs to be a reason for that, I'm happy for the reason in some cases to be an implicit threat (i.e. the victim believes force will be used if they fight back) but I find it quite hard to imagine that Shia would be so intimidated by a random woman (who he could easily push off him) that he would freeze in fear and be unable to do anything

if he'd said that everyone could do as they liked with him I think he needs to actually make it clear that he didn't mean to include sex in that or he's essentially consented

Quick Reply

Latest