The Student Room Group

Can I afford to move out?

I'm 21 & work full time, have done since I was 17/18. I never went to uni so have never moved out of the family home.
Currently I am earning £260 per week (after tax). We have a house on site at work (kennel/cattery) and the person living there is moving out soon. I've been offered the house, I wouldn't have to pay rent but obviously would have to pay bills.
For anyone on a similar wage, is it possible? I could find someone to live there with me to split costs but no one is very interested.
I do have a car so would have to factor that In too

Scroll to see replies

That's plenty. Rent is normally the biggest expenditure and you're not paying that
Reply 2
Thanks, I have no idea how much any bills cost as I've never had to pay them.
Anyone know how much electric etc bills cost for one person on their own?
Bills will be between 50-150 a month. Excluding phone and interwebs and tv etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the size of the house and how many people live there if it's by a meter! My house (5 people) costs £120 every three months so about £40 a month... Which would be doable on your income anyway but will be far less if it's just you :smile:
Reply 5
It's a 3 bed house but will most likely just be me living there.
You have a sweet deal not having to pay rent. It's easily doable. Move out! Independence ftw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Olderandwiser23
You have a sweet deal not having to pay rent. It's easily doable. Move out! Independence ftw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I keep changing my mind, one min I think just do it, then I think id be lonely on my own!
Easily.
Original post by izzy_xo
Haha I keep changing my mind, one min I think just do it, then I think id be lonely on my own!

You will be lonely at first and then you'll never wanna move back home ever again. It's the normal process when moving out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Next question- how much (roughly) will water/ electric/ gas/ tv & Internet cost? I have literally no idea
Original post by izzy_xo
Next question- how much (roughly) will water/ electric/ gas/ tv & Internet cost? I have literally no idea

Water is quite cheap. (In a 5 bed house unmetered in London it was £28/month) in a 3 bed house metered (most are metered) I would guesstimate anything from £5-10 a month.

Electric and gas will be your biggest expense and will be around £40-70 month.

Tv license is £12/month

And interwebs/extra tv (like virgin or sky) will be between £40-70/month depending on packages you want. OfCourse you could just have free view and therefor just internet would cost around £15/month depending on the deal you choose.

Then mobile phone bill is whatever mobile you have!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Water is quite cheap. (In a 5 bed house unmetered in London it was £28/month) in a 3 bed house metered (most are metered) I would guesstimate anything from £5-10 a month.

Electric and gas will be your biggest expense and will be around £40-70 month.

Tv license is £12/month

And interwebs/extra tv (like virgin or sky) will be between £40-70/month depending on packages you want. OfCourse you could just have free view and therefor just internet would cost around £15/month depending on the deal you choose.

Then mobile phone bill is whatever mobile you have!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great thank you! I will probably stick with freeview, don't watch a lot of tv anyway
Original post by izzy_xo
That's great thank you! I will probably stick with freeview, don't watch a lot of tv anyway

No problem! Those are just estimates based on 5 bed house in London!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
No problem! Those are just estimates based on 5 bed house in London!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only about 1 hour out from London anyway :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by izzy_xo

Freeview still requires a licence.
Reply 16
Original post by Reue
Freeview still requires a licence.

I know :smile: cheaper than something like sky though
Reply 17
Original post by izzy_xo
I know :smile: cheaper than something like sky though

This is very true!

To answer your question though, and as noone else has picked up on it: What about council tax? For a 3 bedroom property it is likely to be over £100 a month. Check into this before committing to the expense.
Original post by izzy_xo

If you don't watch a lot of TV you might consider not bothering with TV licence, connecting your computer/laptop up to the TV and using on demand services. So long as these are not watched live, you don't have to pay licence
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
If you don't watch a lot of TV you might consider not bothering with TV licence, connecting your computer/laptop up to the TV and using on demand services. So long as these are not watched live, you don't have to pay licence

I think you do need a license for that. I was told you only don't need a license when watching catch up on a battery powered device (which can be a laptop unplugged from charger), but if it's connected to your tv you have to pay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending