The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry and Biology thoughts please

I'm in year 12 studying chem and bio it's going alright I was just wondering how much harder or different is the A2 for these subjects ? Are they still interesting or does it just get tedious at A2
Original post by Reviloed
I'm in year 12 studying chem and bio it's going alright I was just wondering how much harder or different is the A2 for these subjects ? Are they still interesting or does it just get tedious at A2

I think the difficulty or interest of the subjects at A2 compared to AS is very much subjective.

Personally, I found A2 to be slightly harder than AS but fount A2 much more interesting than AS. :smile:
My grades don't really reflect this but I didn't really think the A2s were that much more hard than the AS. I'd say they were roughly 1.2 the difficulty.
For Biology, A2 is harder, but it's a very interesting subject. In some ways it can feel easier/the same, as you get very good at understanding what the examiner is looking for (so you end up writing less and gaining more marks). That probably accounts for some people saying it wasn't that harder, but you do need to know details about a lot of things.
Reply 4
Ahh so I'm seeing that the difficulty does increase but not by much okay thank you gives me a bit lore confidence to keep with these subjects for A2 if I don't fail the exams
Original post by Reviloed
Ahh so I'm seeing that the difficulty does increase but not by much okay thank you gives me a bit lore confidence to keep with these subjects for A2 if I don't fail the exams

Yeah I would agree with what the others have said. The content is probably a little more complicated but considering you have exam experience by A2, it actually can feel easier at times.
What I would say is aim for above the grade you want at the overall A Level. So, if you want/need an A overall, don't just try to scrape 80% UMS at AS, but go for above that. If you do really well you might only need a high C/low B in the A2 year to get the A for the full A Level, which would be a huge weight off of your shoulders.
Good luck
It is harder but I think if you can do AS you can most likely do A2.
Reply 7
Thanks for that advice pal, it seems like i need to try and go above and beyond at AS to make A2 a lot easier and in some ways more relaxed
I flopped AS Biology and Chemistry ending up with a C and D respectively. I struggled with the work all the time, however now that I have started A2 I have found it a lot easier.

Quick Reply

Latest