The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

English Literature with Creative Writing interview?

I was recently made a conditional offer from Lancaster University for English Lit with Creative Writing where I need AAB (I'm predicted A*A*A). Then I got a letter several days later from them inviting me to an interview which, if successful, will secure me an unconditional offer.

Because I'm doing a double honours degree, it says that I'll need to attend two interviews: in the English Literature interview I'll have to look at some passages and in the Creative Writing interview I'll have to bring my writing with me and talk about it - according to the interview.

Can anyone give me some advice for this interview or more information on what it will entail?

Thanks for any help!

Scroll to see replies

Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by charlea
I was recently made a conditional offer from Lancaster University for English Lit with Creative Writing where I need AAB (I'm predicted A*A*A). Then I got a letter several days later from them inviting me to an interview which, if successful, will secure me an unconditional offer.

Because I'm doing a double honours degree, it says that I'll need to attend two interviews: in the English Literature interview I'll have to look at some passages and in the Creative Writing interview I'll have to bring my writing with me and talk about it - according to the interview.

Can anyone give me some advice for this interview or more information on what it will entail?

Thanks for any help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by charlea

Thanks for any help!

Hey :smile: i'm so glad i found this!
I'm in the exact same situation (exept i am applying for english lit creative writing and practice!

My interview is feb 4th.. when is yours?..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The exact same thing has happened to me! I've been for my interview already( applied for joint honours English and creative writing) and can honestly say there is nothing to worry about! My English literature interview involved annotating a poem and discussing it, my creative writing one was to critique a poets work and then critique my own. All the people are so friendly and although I was nervous, don't be because I wasn't intimidated by them at all! The day as whole is great, got to attend a third year lecture and go on a campus tour! Enjoy
Original post by Natfish
The exact same thing has happened to me! I've been for my interview already( applied for joint honours English and creative writing) and can honestly say there is nothing to worry about! My English literature interview involved annotating a poem and discussing it, my creative writing one was to critique a poets work and then critique my own. All the people are so friendly and although I was nervous, don't be because I wasn't intimidated by them at all! The day as whole is great, got to attend a third year lecture and go on a campus tour! Enjoy

That's good to know :smile: how much writing did you send for your sample? And did they tell you the outcome of the interview straight away or? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I just sent a poem of about 28 lines and no, I'm still waiting to hear back they told me I'll know before Christmas 😕
Original post by Natfish
I just sent a poem of about 28 lines and no, I'm still waiting to hear back they told me I'll know before Christmas 😕

Oh ok :smile: best of luck! I'm thinking of maybe sending a short story or something..

Was the dress code like really formal?
sorry for all the questions btw :

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Haha it's no problem! Yeh a short story would be fine. I'd say I dressed quite formally but other people were in jeans so i don't think it matters!
Original post by Natfish
Haha it's no problem! Yeh a short story would be fine. I'd say I dressed quite formally but other people were in jeans so i don't think it matters!

Ok thanks :biggrin: do you think lancaster will be your first choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm really not sure! I do love it there but have also applied to Durham so shall see whether I get an offer from there first 😊 it is likely I'd firm it though!
Original post by Natfish
I'm really not sure! I do love it there but have also applied to Durham so shall see whether I get an offer from there first 😊 it is likely I'd firm it though!

Aw good luck :biggrin: ! Yeah i'm not sure if i will put lancaster as my firm.. i think it will be between uea lancaster and kent :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
Hey :smile: i'm so glad i found this!
I'm in the exact same situation (exept i am applying for english lit creative writing and practice!

My interview is feb 4th.. when is yours?..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Finally someone who is in my position! My interview is on 4th March :smile: good luck with yours!
Reply 13
Original post by Natfish

Thank you so much for giving us a heads up of what it's like! My interview isn't until March 4th but I've been worrying about it so I'm a lot calmer now thank you :smile: I hope you get good news back from it!
Original post by charlea
Finally someone who is in my position! My interview is on 4th March :smile: good luck with yours!

Thankyou!and good luck to you too :smile: do you think you'll firm lancaster? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Thankyou!and good luck to you too :smile: do you think you'll firm lancaster? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm pretty certain I'll be putting Lancaster as my firm, are you? :smile: we're possible future classmates haha!
Original post by charlea
Yeah I'm pretty certain I'll be putting Lancaster as my firm, are you? :smile: we're possible future classmates haha!

Aha yes we are :smile: i'm currently deciding between lancaster kent and uea.. but if i do get the unconditional at lancs.. it may sway me :'). Where else did you apply?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Hi everyone :smile: I'm in exactly the same position. I'm really nervous about the interview! I'll definitely firm Lancaster though no matter how it turns out :biggrin: Good luck with your interviews! We might end up being future classmates :smile:
Original post by Lawliet
Hi everyone :smile: I'm in exactly the same position. I'm really nervous about the interview! I'll definitely firm Lancaster though no matter how it turns out :biggrin: Good luck with your interviews! We might end up being future classmates :smile:

Good luck with yours :smile: is yours in feb or march :smile: im so nervous.. i'm trying to get my sample of writing sorted to send off asap!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Aha yes we are :smile: i'm currently deciding between lancaster kent and uea.. but if i do get the unconditional at lancs.. it may sway me :'). Where else did you apply?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Newcastle, Manchester, Huddersfield and Liverpool Hope. My favourite is definitely Lancaster though! I'm nervous for the interview but also quite excited which is strange. Even if I don't get the unconditional I'll still choose it as my firm choice! :smile:

Quick Reply