The Student Room Group

Pakistani cricket bat "terrorist" in Belgium, deported

http://www.dawn.com/news/1146814/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/11250948/Pakistani-family-face-deportation-after-their-son-is-labelled-a-terrorist-for-carrying-a-cricket-bat.html

Telegraph
Assim Abassi, a young Pakistani cricket player, and his entire family have lost their right to live in Belgium after he was identified as a terrorist for carrying his bat on public transport.A photograph of Mr Abassi, 22, apparently armed with a weapon was circulated by the police last week generating a terror scare following anattack on the Jewish museum in Brussels earlier this year.

As soon as he saw the pictures in a newspaper, the young Pakistani man contacted the police to say that he was not armed but only carrying his cricket bat on way to a practice session.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

That is absolutely outrageous. Why should his MP have to take up the families case, there is no ******* case. He's explained why he had the bat, it's a cricket bat, not a nail bomb. It's a non-issue, authorities should be grovelling tbh.

I mean lets be real, he's a terrorist because he's Asian in their eyes. Can anyone honestly say a white kid carrying a cricket bat under his jumper in the rain would be photographic and circulated as a terrorist? lol it would almost be comical if it wasn't such a bad situation for his family.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Not surprised at all.
Original post by HAnwar
Not surprised at all.

Why so? I was quite surprised. I didnt expect this from a European country, and I was not impressed with Pakistan either
Original post by MatureStudent36
How can Belgium deport suspected terrorists so much more easily than in the UK?

Maybe because they suspected he was a terrorist on the most ridiculous of charges... It kinda shows the racism tbh

Asian guy - terrorist......
Original post by The_Internet
Maybe because they suspected he was a terrorist on the most ridiculous of charges... It kinda shows the racism tbh

Asian guy - terrorist......

See all of these pro European people who like to claim how great Europe is and how we need it because of how bad we are?

Never underestimate how ingrained racism is on the continent.
Reply 7
Ridiculous but most Belgians probably don't even know what cricket is so this isn't surprising.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's annoying how we have preachers preaching hate, people moving here and committing crimes, yet it's someone innocent of anything who gets deported. Typical nonsense.
Reply 9
his claim to be a pakistani batsmen' probably didnt stand up in court, because most people know pakistan struggles to produce batsmen
Reply 10
Original post by Thuggee
his claim to be a pakistani batsmen' probably didnt stand up in court, because most people know pakistan struggles to produce batsmen

Good one.
Reply 11
Why so? I was quite surprised. I didnt expect this from a European country, and I was not impressed with Pakistan either

He's Asian. Looks Muslim (most likely is)
(edited 9 years ago)
See all of these pro European people who like to claim how great Europe is and how we need it because of how bad we are?

Never underestimate how ingrained racism is on the continent.

Hmm I guess. Cant this guy appeal against Belgium? I imagine he's going to have a harder time appealing against Pakistan - unless of course,he takes his story to HuffPost/WashingtonPost/BBC/Guardian etc...

THEN Pakistan will probably care, because at the end of the day, that's all Pakistan appears to care about - it's reputation overseas
Reply 13
Hmm I guess. Cant this guy appeal against Belgium? I imagine he's going to have a harder time appealing against Pakistan - unless of course,he takes his story to HuffPost/WashingtonPost/BBC/Guardian etc...

THEN Pakistan will probably care, because at the end of the day, that's all Pakistan appears to care about - it's reputation overseas

I'm not sure they care about anything, frankly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How can Belgium deport suspected terrorists so much more easily than in the UK?

It isn't "more easy" for them than it is us.

I suspect this story has more to do with the fact that Abassi's father lost his job. It seems to be this which led to the family's deportation.

This changes to tone of the story somewhat - but I'd certainly agree that the Belgian authorities ought to have been a bit more sympathetic and that Pakistan has been incredibly unreasonable.
Reply 15

No we don't.
Good riddance.
Original post by meenu89
Good riddance.

Not a fan of cricket players?
Original post by meenu89
Good riddance.

Why are you here?

Your reign ended ages ago
Original post by meenu89
Good riddance.

Why?