The Student Room Group

How to stand out when applying for MSc in Theoretical physics

Hi, I'm a maths UG planning on going into theoretical physics and I'm trying to find ways of making a strong application. I'm thinking of the courses run by durham, imperial, oxford and the Part III at cambridge.
I'm heading for a strong 1st, and have work experience in the maths department of a physics lab. But I'm guessing most applicants will have good grades, perhaps from better uni's, and work experience, so I'm not sure how I can stand out.

I know writing a paper is great, but while that might work for some subjects, I can't see as a maths ug how I could do that.

Someone said you can ask to "shadow" your lecturer and perhaps get some work experience but again, surely I'd be of no real use to them because I won't have the knowledge to be any help.

Perhaps its worth attempting one or both of these ideas but if anyone has any advice, or alternative ideas, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending