The Student Room Group

Calling Girls "Trashy" is Disgustingly Sexist

I'm not a feminist, feminism seems disgustingly mainstream nowadays, but these old fashioned ideas of what a woman should be and look like are so outdated. Nowadays, and its always been like this, guys can look what what they want to look like and girls will still go for it because men are allowed to be whom they want with no punishment.

Whereas girls aren't allowed to have short hair, they aren't allowed to look "edgy" or "punk" or be hipsters or alternative and still considered hot. They aren't allowed to have multiple sexual partners or be any other than long haired softly spoken into hair and beauty types who dress in boring dresses and skirts and never swear and are choosy about whom they sleep with. I'm a bi girl and I don't get why guys go for supposedly "ladylike" girls like that at all. They are unsexy, boring prim and proper and probably awful in bed tbh.

Many of my hottest guy friends (I don't get on with girls because they are mostly conformist clones) have told me in private that they would go for totally different girls if they could, but are oppressed into liking and dating what "Hollywood" says is hot by the media and friends. AKA Stepford wife women. This needs to end.

A guy can get tattoos and wear cool fashion and be "sexy" but if a girl does it she is "trashy". This is sexist. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not a feminist, feminism seems disgustingly mainstream nowadays, but these old fashioned ideas of what a woman should be and look like are so outdated. Nowadays, and its always been like this, guys can look what what they want to look like and girls will still go for it because men are allowed to be whom they want with no punishment.

Whereas girls aren't allowed to have short hair, they aren't allowed to look "edgy" or "punk" or be hipsters or alternative and still considered hot. They aren't allowed to have multiple sexual partners or be any other than long haired softly spoken into hair and beauty types who dress in boring dresses and skirts and never swear and are choosy about whom they sleep with. I'm a bi girl and I don't get why guys go for supposedly "ladylike" girls like that at all. They are unsexy, boring prim and proper and probably awful in bed tbh.

Many of my hottest guy friends (I don't get on with girls because they are mostly conformist clones) have told me in private that they would go for totally different girls if they could, but are oppressed into liking and dating what "Hollywood" says is hot by the media and friends
. AKA Stepford wife women. This needs to end.

A guy can get tattoos and wear cool fashion and be "sexy" but if a girl does it she is "trashy". This is sexist. :rolleyes:

lol at the highlighted bits.
Reply 2
Original post by Ciranore
lol at the highlighted bits.

Non troll post! thank you :colone:

But seriously. Why does "hot" always have to equal a robot, why can it not be a hipster girl, or a punk girl, or someone interesting for girls.
You are incredibly naieve and misconcieved if you think men are the main culprits of slut shaming . Its women who have it out for each other and will glady bitch about any girl who they don't like , calling them slags , trash etc
Reply 4
Original post by ParadiseFound
You are incredibly naieve and misconcieved if you think men are the main culprits of slut shaming . Its women who have it out for each other and will glady bitch about any girl who they don't like , calling them slags , trash etc

Except that I never actually said that.

What I am saying is that there is an unfair double standard where men get to be the "cool kidz" and hipsters and punk or whatever they like and still considered sexy in our society, girls do not.

Look at Hollywood. You see sexy guys of all kinds in movies but the women are always these bland bland Victoria's Secret model types.
Reply 5
i don't see it like that. if someone's hot they're hot. Regardless of what fashion trend or whatever they choose to do with their body or clothes and I'm pretty sure most guys see it like that.
Reply 6
Original post by Ciranore
i don't see it like that. if someone's hot they're hot. Regardless of what fashion trend or whatever they choose to do with their body or clothes and I'm pretty sure most guys see it like that.

But they dont. Girls can date a "bad boy" and it's seen as cool, but if a guy dates an "outsider" kind of girl it's seen as short term. :s-smilie:

Maybe it's different in your social circles but even hte people I know (who are a mix, not just hipsters or edgy) see only conformist drone women as good gf material.
Except that I never actually said that.

What I am saying is that there is an unfair double standard where men get to be the "cool kidz" and hipsters and punk or whatever they like and still considered sexy in our society, girls do not.

Look at Hollywood. You see sexy guys of all kinds in movies but the women are always these bland bland Victoria's Secret model types.

Not really ; zooey deshchannel, mila kunis , even anniston etc tend to play quite quirky female characters and I there are tons of others who aren't on my head right now.

False , girls can be hipsters or punks and still be attractive , i've seen lots of attractive ones . However its the high maintenance type of girl which gets the most attention throughout school etc same way tha the popular jock type gets the most attention and the skinny dweeb gets ignored.

tl:dr

Basically if your ugly your ugly , if your attractive your attractive
Reply 8
Original post by ParadiseFound
Not really ; zooey deshchannel, mila kunis , even anniston etc tend to play quite quirky female characters and I there are tons of others who aren't on my head right now.

False , girls can be hipsters or punks and still be attractive , i've seen lots of attractive ones . However its the high maintenance type of girl which gets the most attention throughout school etc same way tha the popular jock type gets the most attention and the skinny dweeb gets ignored.

tl:dr

Basically if your ugly your ugly , if your attractive your attractive

When you say that do you mean conformist though? :s-smilie:

I know, but girls like Mila Kunis etc. whilst not exactly being entirely what Hollywood promotes are still fairly "normal" ish. I mean they are celebrities too and guys fancy them, not their characters. Even though Mila Kunis say is geeky she is not your average gaming girl. Similarly whilst Zooey Deschanel is indie she is hardly hipster at all.

The girls I mean are a little more "out there." Guys can be really out there and total hipsters and punky and have tattoos and be considered attractive by society, girls cant. That was what I mean :smile:
Reply 9

Many of my hottest guy friends (I don't get on with girls because they are mostly conformist clones) have told me in private that they would go for totally different girls if they could, but are oppressed into liking and dating what "Hollywood" says is hot by the media and friends. AKA Stepford wife women. This needs to end.

Look however they want without punishment?! Far from true.

I know many guys who are completely slagged for looking "edgy" or "hipster". And what you say about a girl not being able to have short hair - I also know someone with long hair who is mocked cos of it.

Also any guy that is scared to date girls because they're scared people will judge them, don't deserve said girl anyway.

Finally the amount of Twitter accounts I have seen dedicated to girls with tattoo's is unreal. I don't see it as sexism, just personal preference. Some girls love a guy who smokes and some despise it. Unfortunately everyone is labelled for something, but it's definitely not a girl-only thing.
Non troll post! thank you :colone:

But seriously. Why does "hot" always have to equal a robot, why can it not be a hipster girl, or a punk girl, or someone interesting for girls.

It doesn't.

I'm pretty sure plenty of "punk" or "emo" guys are interested in "punk" or "emo" girls.

And what do you mean robot, given that "hot" is a pretty broad definition.....
And the purpose of yelling this being?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you say that do you mean conformist though? :s-smilie:

I know, but girls like Mila Kunis etc. whilst not exactly being entirely what Hollywood promotes are still fairly "normal" ish. I mean they are celebrities too and guys fancy them, not their characters. Even though Mila Kunis say is geeky she is not your average gaming girl. Similarly whilst Zooey Deschanel is indie she is hardly hipster at all.

The girls I mean are a little more "out there." Guys can be really out there and total hipsters and punky and have tattoos and be considered attractive by society, girls cant. That was what I mean :smile:

Irrespective of whether society considers them attractive or not these people continue to get partners and procreate . I mean technically if your not a white blonde woman with big breasts then your considered unnattractive by society , the media is a ridiculous thing and is not representative of real life .

Stop worrying about what people think of you or whatever , if your attractive you will get a partner end of story.
Original post by AdamCee
Look however they want without punishment?! Far from true.

I know many guys who are completely slagged for looking "edgy" or "hipster". And what you say about a girl not being able to have short hair - I also know someone with long hair who is mocked cos of it.

Also any guy that is scared to date girls because they're scared people will judge them, don't deserve said girl anyway.

Finally the amount of Twitter accounts I have seen dedicated to girls with tattoo's is unreal. I don't see it as sexism, just personal preference. Some girls love a guy who smokes and some despise it. Unfortunately everyone is labelled for something, but it's definitely not a girl-only thing.

Well not however but guys definitely have more freedom :dontknow: obvs the people who dress really "out there" are mocked regardless of gender.

The girl with long hair is mocked? how long are we talking? unless its like waist length or really bad and straggly or she is african (sad but true) I doubt a girl will be punished.

yep but it still happens :frown:

You are right, some guys do appreciate girls with tattoos etc :smile: But what I mean is that the general societal standard is that media "hot guys" = just about anyone and media "hot girls" = Stepford wife types, very conformist.
Original post by AdamCee
It doesn't.

I'm pretty sure plenty of "punk" or "emo" guys are interested in "punk" or "emo" girls.

And what do you mean robot, given that "hot" is a pretty broad definition.....

Its true, punk guys do prefer punk girls a lot, but the societal standard is that a "pretty girl" (AKA robot or someone who doesn't think for herself) is a Stepford wife, conformist type, whereas a "hot guy" can be anyone.

I mean look at movies. The "hot guy" can be a geek or a lawyer or a hipster or a skinhead w/tattoos. When was the last time you saw the "hot girl" being a punk with tattoos, or even having short hair, or looking a bit different?

What I mean by this thread is, even though feminism is mainstream and I hate it, this may sound feminist (ironically) but women are always told to be too conformist.
surely guys can be "trashy" too? or other similar things
I find it a little odd that in a post complaining about people being sexist, you are so hypocritically rude about women yourself.
Women who have long hair and dress in a more understated way are probably terrible in bed? You don't get on well with other women because they're generally bland, conformist clones? Statements like those are just as oppressive and shaming as the issues you're complaining about regarding alternative styles of dress or self-expression.
I'm far more concerned about the number of women who claim not to get on with other women in general than I am over whether a majority of men would consider me hot if I cut my hair short. This sort of woman on woman bashing is much more worrying on the whole.
1) African is spelt with a capital A
2) What do you mean 'or she is African (sad but true)'?

sorry I don't always type 100% right on the Internet :rofl:

I'm not African but sadly women with African hair are often mocked b/c of it, hence why I asked if the girl was African as then maybe she was being mocked because of that and not the fact it was long :s-smilie:
Original post by Sazzle4
I find it a little odd that in a post complaining about people being sexist, you are so hypocritically rude about women yourself.
Women who have long hair and dress in a more understated way are probably terrible in bed? You don't get on well with other women because they're generally bland, conformist clones? Statements like those are just as oppressive and shaming as the issues you're complaining about regarding alternative styles of dress or self-expression.
I'm far more concerned about the number of women who claim not to get on with other women in general than I am over whether a majority of men would consider me hot if I cut my hair short. This sort of woman on woman bashing is much more worrying on the whole.

This ^
Original post by amberskye
Uh-oh, we're dealing with a hipster

is it the fact I'm a hipster or ironically a hipster girl that is the problem?

Quick Reply