The Student Room Group

Black Friday the new craze ?

What do we all think of the disorder occurring in supermarkets because of the so called 'Black Friday'. The supermarkets were absolutely chaotic the customers were like animals, fighting for TVs surely we all have a TV by now.....? What do you guys think ?

Personally I feel its just idiots wasting their money on material things and things that they dont need. The supermarkets announce everything is cheap and suddenly people have a bright idea to run into shops and grab,fight others for crap they may never need but just because its cheap. Shouldnt they be at work ?

Scroll to see replies

Another stupid and dangerous tradition that we've adopted from the Americans.
Sad individuals is all i can say.
Some were just crazy(like all the supermarkets) or the deals were really crap. I went to boots (quite early) on my way to uni and was really disappointed :frown:
This is the first time I even heard of Black Friday in the UK, I thought it was an American thing.
Reply 5
The ironic thing is, all these people think they're getting say 60% off.... When in reality the stores just gradually bump up prices leading up to a "sale", and then drop it back down so it looks like your saving money... Good business sense to capitalise on the idiocy of people.

Faith in humanity lost
Its better than the stupid Halloween the Uk adopted from Merica' just a holiday excuses for alot to dress like sluts and party.

I prefer online black Fridays though no bs and peoeple acting like animals
If stores where the police are called had to pay the cost, it would be stopped in its tracks, except as a web offering.
Original post by tim_123
The ironic thing is, all these people think they're getting say 60% off.... When in reality the stores just gradually bump up prices leading up to a "sale", and then drop it back down so it looks like your saving money... Good business sense to capitalise on the idiocy of people.

Faith in humanity lost

Exactly this. Argos has loads of stuff 25% off, take £20 remote control RC kids toy, now £15, good deal right?!?! No, because their website informs you further down the product page if you care to look, if it's been on sale at a cheaper price in recent months. "Note, has been on sale at £12.47".

Awesome business for retailers, reeeeeeeel in dem fishies.
Black Friday is everything that's wrong with capitalism, and the unfortunate reason communism could never work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live in the US and every year makes me feel ashamed how people act. I enjoy searching Amazon and supermarket websites looking for a deal, but some people act like animals just to save a bit of money.
Original post by tim_123

Faith in humanity lost

My Point exactly !
Original post by Sabertooth
I live in the US and every year makes me feel ashamed how people act. I enjoy searching Amazon and supermarket websites looking for a deal, but some people act like animals just to save a bit of money.

Did you find any good deals? :smile:

I think everyone loves a real bargain, but the frenzy seems to be about having it all on just one day. Some of the crowd behaviour seems to be almost like mass hysteria. Shows the power of advertising, culture and social pressure.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Did you find any good deals? :smile:

I think everyone loves a real bargain, but the frenzy seems to be about having it all on just one day. Some of the crowd behaviour seems to be almost like mass hysteria. Shows the power of advertising, culture and social pressure.

I got $150 off a watch. Also saved $20 on a 3DS game (super smash bros). So nothing huge but I didn't really need anything tbh. :smile:

It's not entirely on one day. A lot of places have discounts leading up to Thanksgiving and in the days afterwards. It seems like every year stores compete to having the earliest sales - some people complain about this but I think it's good to take the focus away from one day.
If only they showed this spirit and passion in something that mattered, like immigration, or politics, or getting an education, or self improvement, or anything for that matter.

The country may be a lot better.
Original post by Obiejess
Black Friday is everything that's wrong with capitalism, and the unfortunate reason communism could never work.

LOL

So offering goods at a discount rather than with the usual profit mark-up, is everything that's wrong with capitalism.

What happens if we ban discounting does that give capitalism a more human face?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
LOL

So offering goods at a discount rather than with the usual profit mark-up, is everything that's wrong with capitalism.

What happens if we ban discounting does that give capitalism a more human face?

The fact that people are so greedy they feel the need to tread on small children for a 20% discount. Not to mention that they're not really discounts, stores just bump up the price before Black Friday and then sell them at normal price on the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Royaldocks
Its better than the stupid Halloween the Uk adopted from Merica' just a holiday excuses for alot to dress like sluts and party.

I prefer online black Fridays though no bs and peoeple acting like animals

Cyber Monday :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's an absolute embarrassment that this nonsense has spread to the UK. A sad indictment of our increasingly consumerist society and a bloody shameful one at that. People literally fighting each other over low quality garbage they don't even need in a desperate race to the bottom. **** it all, **** capitalism, **** you, **** me, **** everything.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending