The Student Room Group

Clinical/Neuropsychology

I've wanted to become a clinical psychologist for years now, my aim to work privately after qualification. However, for about a year now I've been really interested in neuropsychology. Is there any possibility to work as a clinical neuropsychologist for a company, for example the NHS, and to also work as a clinical psychologist in mental health privately from home?
As long as you hold the relevant qualifications and are registered with the BPS, it should be fine. But it is going to take you a lot of years. -_-
Reply 2
Not too long, just an additional 2 years on top of what I already have to do, just wanted to know if it was doable! Thank you :smile:
Original post by ALJB
Not too long, just an additional 2 years on top of what I already have to do, just wanted to know if it was doable! Thank you :smile:

You should add an indefinite amount of years to find, apply and receive offers for a supervised position. They are extremely scarce.
Reply 4
Original post by Juichiro
You should add an indefinite amount of years to find, apply and receive offers for a supervised position. They are extremely scarce.

Oh I know, don't worry I've researched into everything a lot, I meant it's another 2 years on top of that and getting a doctorate etc. as I would already have to do
I've wanted to become a clinical psychologist for years now, my aim to work privately after qualification. However, for about a year now I've been really interested in neuropsychology. Is there any possibility to work as a clinical neuropsychologist for a company, for example the NHS, and to also work as a clinical psychologist in mental health privately from home?

You could do that.

Currently the route to become a clinical neuropsychologist would be to do your 3 year DClinPsy then get a neuropsychologist post on qualification. While you are in your first post, you would be encouraged (but it's not mandatory) to do the Division of Neuropsychology postdoctoral training course (PGDip or MSc depending), which work will often pay for.

However, there are plenty of people without the DoN training that do neuropsychological assessments (e.g. for court or as part of their general clinical duties). Similarly nothing would stop you doing a split post if you could get a part time mental health job and part time neuro one, but you would have to wait for posts to come up that would compliment each other.

There are lot of clinical psychologists that have several part time posts, whether they mix clinical work with an academic job, or a therapy post with a management one, or mix private with NHS practice. It will depend on where you live, what demand there is for your services, but its defnitely doable.
Reply 6
London, so the demand is large - Thank you for clarifying! I think that's what I'll do, part time neuro and in my time off work from home as private clinical! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest