The Student Room Group

Canadian Student interested in Studying in UK (Specifically England)

I'm currently a 4th year Health science university student in Canada. I was considering applying to medicine in the UK. I am unsure what the equivalent of 2:1 honors degree is in Canada. I've been told it is 75-80%, but other people have told me its 80%-90%. I have a 79% average, so I'm hoping it should be enough to get into some British schools. Is a 2:1 honors good enough though to apply for a graduate medicine program? Some schools here state that the "minimum" requirement is a 3.5 gpa, though realistically they look for GPA's which are 3.7+. As well, is the UKCAT required for most schools?
Some schools will give weighting to your degree results, but for others, after you satisfy entry requirements (which are usually 2.1 or higher, sometimes 2.2), they do not matter in the selection process.

You will probably need to contact individual schools to find out what classification your degree is equivalent to (but first just try googling - I am sure there is some sort of conversion between Canadian and UK degree results). A lot of schools are very responsive, although right now they might be too busy with this year's admissions. Also, most schools have "International" sections on their applicant websites, where they explain what satisfied their entry requirements and what does not. If you can't find this for Grad Med - try looking at some Master's programmes admissions webpages, they might have more info about degree conversions.

Some form of admissions tests (UKCAT, GAMSAT, BMAT) is required for the vast majority of GEM programmes, with some exceptions (Cambridge, Birmingham come to mind) - just do your research about each school's entry requirements, there aren't that many GEM programmes in the UK, relatively speaking.
Make sure you understand what you are doing as well. You will be classified as an IMG for CaRMS purposes and will find it difficult returning to Canada before you have finished speciality training: anywhere from 11 to 16+ years from starting med school.
Hey ! Are you by any chance studying at Western (UWO) ??
Also many of the Universities in England will accept your degree but vary on how they convert it. Best thing to do is email them and ask.
Reply 4
Original post by KingVP
I'm currently a 4th year Health science university student in Canada. I was considering applying to medicine in the UK. I am unsure what the equivalent of 2:1 honors degree is in Canada. I've been told it is 75-80%, but other people have told me its 80%-90%. I have a 79% average, so I'm hoping it should be enough to get into some British schools. Is a 2:1 honors good enough though to apply for a graduate medicine program? Some schools here state that the "minimum" requirement is a 3.5 gpa, though realistically they look for GPA's which are 3.7+. As well, is the UKCAT required for most schools?

First, check the programs you intend to apply t, some GEP programs do not take international students.

And yes, as an IMG, you'll have really hard time to start in Canada after you graduate from UK medschool.

Check the INTO program at SGUL. It is specifically designed for international students from US/Canada and by having clinicals in US, puts you on a better path to qualify in US and in Canada.

http://www.intohigher.com/uk/en-gb/our-centres/into-st-georges-university-of-london/study/courses/course-list/international-graduate-medicine-mbbs4.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending