The Student Room Group

Wilko vs WHSmith for stationery?

I want to buy a few Lever Arch files and notebooks and I have a 20% off card for WHSmith but they're still slightly more expensive than Wilko. Does anyone have a particular recommendation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd now avoid WHS on principle. So so so overpriced. Wilko's is good, and cheap. You know what you're getting, and not being ripped off :P
Original post by Knee Grow
I want to buy a few Lever Arch files and notebooks and I have a 20% off card for WHSmith but they're still slightly more expensive than Wilko. Does anyone have a particular recommendation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got most of my things from Wilko. They do lever arches for £1 and they're a good size. I have two refill pads from there which contain 80 pages of 70msg paper (which is perfect for its use) - they were only 50p each ! As mentioned above, Wilko is cheap but the quality is still good. WHSmith sell things at high prices because they can. If you look, you will find some things in WHSmith which are exactly the same as what you can get from somewhere else but for a higher price. The reason for this, I suppose, is that WHSmith is exceptionally well-known and a lot of people's go-to place for everything education/books so they can sell things at high prices, knowing that people will continue to buy them and therefore allowing them to profit.

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by beyknowles
I got most of my things from Wilko. They do lever arches for £1 and they're a good size. I have two refill pads from there which contain 80 pages of 70msg paper (which is perfect for its use) - they were only 50p each ! As mentioned above, Wilko is cheap but the quality is still good. WHSmith sell things at high prices because they can. If you look, you will find some things in WHSmith which are exactly the same as what you can get from somewhere else but for a higher price. The reason for this, I suppose, is that WHSmith is exceptionally well-known and a lot of people's go-to place for everything education/books so they can sell things at high prices, knowing that people will continue to buy them and therefore allowing them to profit.

:smile:

Oh Wilkinsons sounds much better when you put it like that. I wasn't sure whether their Lever Arches would be any good at such a price but they seem to sound alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
#Rymans300refillpadbeatsall.

If you ever wanna buy cheap paper and lots of it then buy Rymans 300 refill pad , don't think even Wilko can beat its price .
If you're broke like myself, then wilko is sooo cheap :biggrin:

But if you can afford it, WHSmith has much better qualoty
Original post by Dhanny
#Rymans300refillpadbeatsall.

If you ever wanna buy cheap paper and lots of it then buy Rymans 300 refill pad , don't think even Wilko can beat its price .

Agreed :five:
If you can get folder presentation files (the flat ones with a little wire bit) for about £1 a pop, then going onto amazon and getting big stacks of loose pages is probably the best way to go about it.
I got some folders in Wilko for 50p each. They've been brilliant. Only one has split a little at the bottom but that's probably my fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wilko's every time, so much cheaper than WHSmith's and the stuff is just as nice :smile:
WHSmith has more variety, but the only thing I get from there is the dividers because they are really nice plastic ones. I would not recommend the lever arch files at all. I had one from their this year for all of my English Literature work and it actually broke within about a month and the cardboard disintegrated, wouldn't shut and the metal bit going across the bottom half came off, and was really sharp, so I had to throw it away. I replaced it with a Tesco one which has been much better. I've never used a Wilko one, but I've seen people use them and they seem pretty good. My favorites are Paperchase or Tesco. I've also tried Wilko's paper in the past, which I think is better than WHSmith's. My favourites are the Oxford Campus notebooks though.

Quick Reply

Latest