The Student Room Group

Those people who cheat through their parents

A girl in my class has a mother who is a private school teacher and asks her to check through her essays before she hands them in for marking. This means that she has a huge advantage over students whose parents aren't as educated as her mother, like me for example, as her mother's checking her essay ensures that she attains higher than 70% in them.

This is very unfair, as her mother, being as educated as she is, is able to weed out her mistakes and suggest what to write to her.

I wouldn't be so irate over this, only many people believe, especially our tutor, that she achieves through her merit alone. This is not true at all.
Reply 1
Original post by Erstwhistle
A girl in my class has a mother who is a private school teacher and asks her to check through her essays before she hands them in for marking. This means that she has a huge advantage over students whose parents aren't as educated as her mother, like me for example, as her mother's checking her essay ensures that she attains higher than 70% in them.

This is very unfair, as her mother, being as educated as she is, is able to weed out her mistakes and suggest what to write to her.

I wouldn't be so irate over this, only many people believe, especially our tutor, that she achieves through her merit alone. This is not true at all.

You should not concern yourself with others when it comes to the exam her mother won't be there or controlled assessment or whatever it is.
Life is unfair, deal with it poosy
Its not what you know, its whom you know.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
Its not what you know, its whom you know.

Clearly.
Original post by nohomo
Clearly.

It is a Friday night, you can't expect decent grammar from a student on a Friday night (drinking night).
Yes it is unfair and especially awful when people like that gloat about their marks however it just makes me more determined to achieve higher marks than them through me own merit :smile:
It's not cheating, but it is having an advantage over others. But that does in no means make it cheating.

Once I finished my GCSEs, I calculated (or at least made an estimate) over how much money my mother had spent on my education. Everything from private tuition, to revision cards and revision text books not supplied by school. It was well into the thousands. Additionally, I noted the amount of hours my mother (she's a University lecturer) had spent with me checking my essays or doing extra work with me. I was shocked and horrified at the same time. As although I did well due to both a combination of my resources, support and my own hard work and determination, I definitely had an advantage over those without University educated parents or those from lower incomes. It was in some sense easier for me to work to get those grades because I had so many resources.

I am really passionate about improving education for all, to reduce the gap, because I firmly believe everybody should have the same opportunities. Whilst none of us can stop more affluent families using their many resources to the benefit of their children, I think more should be done to help boost those at the bottom.
That's why I strongly disagree with the whole 'it's your own fault that you're poor' and 'anybody can be successful so you have yourselves to blame if you're not' as it's far easier for somebody on £200k and private school tuition to get good grades and go to a top uni to get a good job and be successful than it is for a student who hasn't had the same resources so early on in life.
Reply 8
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
It's not cheating, but it is having an advantage over others. But that does in no means make it cheating.

Once I finished my GCSEs, I calculated (or at least made an estimate) over how much money my mother had spent on my education. Everything from private tuition, to revision cards and revision text books not supplied by school. It was well into the thousands. Additionally, I noted the amount of hours my mother (she's a University lecturer) had spent with me checking my essays or doing extra work with me. I was shocked and horrified at the same time. As although I did well due to both a combination of my resources, support and my own hard work and determination, I definitely had an advantage over those without University educated parents or those from lower incomes. It was in some sense easier for me to work to get those grades because I had so many resources.

I am really passionate about improving education for all, to reduce the gap, because I firmly believe everybody should have the same opportunities. Whilst none of us can stop more affluent families using their many resources to the benefit of their children, I think more should be done to help boost those at the bottom.
That's why I strongly disagree with the whole 'it's your own fault that you're poor' and 'anybody can be successful so you have yourselves to blame if you're not' as it's far easier for somebody on £200k and private school tuition to get good grades and go to a top uni to get a good job and be successful than it is for a student who hasn't had the same resources so early on in life.

Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sweetie, loads of people do that. Loads. There will be people who say they don't but still do. Teachers say to make the most of your resources. Smart parents definitely count as a resource.

But remember, come the exam they will not do as well. Their mothers and fathers won't be there to hold their hand at uni. Eventually, you'll come out on top.
Reply 10
don't look at what others are doing and focus on yourself and your studies to ensure high attainment for yourself too. comparing yourself to others won't do you no good.
My parents are teachers - I would be silly not to use them. It's unfair, but I'm not going to turn down free tuition. Even if the only point of education was grades and a good job (it's not).

Some people have rich parents who can pay for private tutors - that's similar.

The only way around it is to have a good system that can support all students to the level where outside help becomes irrelevant.
Reply 12
There's nothing wrong with writing something, getting feedback on it, and rewriting it. It would be a problem if, say, her mother was writing it for her.

Your parents don't necessarily need to be 'well educated' to be able to read something and give you their opinion. Alternatively, you could ask your teacher to give you feedback before the final deadline; they're often willing. Or, perhaps, ask a friend to check it over for you. I used to have a system with my friend where we'd proofread each others essays (this was in college, though, it sounds like you might be in high school? Either way, it still applies).

As has already been said in the previous comments, there will always be people who have advantages. You can't do much except work with what you're given.

Although it is helping her now, unless this girl intends to have her helicopter parent pilot her through the rest of her life, she will suffer the consequences in the world of work when she realises she is incapable of performing to a high standard on her own in any ambitious career.
Original post by bertstare
Life is unfair, deal with it poosy

Well you just confirmed you are no older than 14
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Well you just confirmed you are no older than 14

Are you upset because I bullied you?
Original post by bertstare
Are you upset because I bullied you?

Yeah really upset about a little kid trying to act smart :lol:
will her mum be there in the exam to help her? no. she can do well now, but the only thing that matters is how she does in the exam. i wouldn't be bothered if i were you.

So?

What do you think will happen when it comes to exams? Will her mum be sitting there beside her? How about University, or afterwards when she's having to work and can't rely on her mum for help?

Just look at it this way, she may be having an easy ride now but there will come a time when she has to stand on her own two feet and she'll fail, whereas you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest