The Student Room Group

Higher English personal folio piece- could I write about my sexuality?

I am trying to write my personal/creative piece at the moment and I don't know if I could or should write about being gay and everything that comes with that or if it's a bad idea? I don't know if it's too personal and I know my teacher would have no problem with the topic but would the SQA? Any advice would be appreciated, I can't write creatively to save my life and I don't really have anything else to write for a personal piece. On the one hand I do want to write about it and there are so many opportunities to have puns in it, but something about it just doesn't sit right with me, I can't help but feel that it wouldn't be appropriate or something :s-smilie:
Not at all! The best topics are the ones closest to your heart. If that's what is significant to you or something that evokes a lot of emotion or is a big part of who you are then all that feeling and emotion will come through and make it a good PERSONAL essay as the name implies. That's why essays that people write on their weight (ie obesity or anorexia), their fears and anxieties, relationships or major events in their lives are so good and are often given as examples-because they evoke a lot of emotion in the writer. So if that something that you can emotively write about and impact the reader then don't think twice about it. What difference is there in the awkwardness between talking about how you would make yourself vomit after eating a cracker and whether your gay or not? Both of these are very sensitive topics but more so for the reader than the marker. The marker is looking for a good piece of writing, i don't think they really care what its about tbh.
Reply 2
alrighty, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending