The Student Room Group

Should Brits have to contribute for 4 years as well?

Now that Cameron wants new immigrants to work for 4 years before getting benefits, should Brits also do the same beofre getting benefits?

This would stop the work shy and those who got straight from school to live off benefits instead of getting a job.

It would also reduce the need for low skilled immigrants because Brits will now have to do the dirty, hard and low paid jobs that are now "beneath" them because they will get no benefits until they have paid enough to qualify for them.

Scroll to see replies

IMO it really depends. If you have to go on benefits for particular reasons that are valid and good enough to be considered, then that's fine but so many people are dependent on this state and it's really sad. They can go out and work but choose not to, they may also survive on jobseekers allowance but hardly have any bother/interest in getting a job. So I do agree with Cameron to a certain extent yes. However employment rates are still quite high so I can understand why some people may be finding it difficult to get a job, Cameron should actually sort unemployment issues first
No, of course not. Parents contribute their taxes on the understanding that their children will be supported if needs be.
In principle, the idea is a good one.

Given the number of unemployed in the Uk, we should look to fix that before we subsidise the income of low-skilled migrants from the bowels of europe. The Uk is over-populated as it is. How long before we're waiting 4 weeks to see a GP? How long before we're driving our kids 30 miles to the nearest school? And for what? Firms access cheap labour and keep wages screwed down for the poor. Meanwhile, we acquiesce in the face of a lefty media onslaught about the benefits of immigration...

I'd rather see the Uk's feckless given a good incentive to work, i.e your money gets taken away if you're a lazy bum. This is a far better option than opening our borders to goat herders from Romania, peg-sellers from Bulgaria, barbarism, rapists, pedophiles and general social retrograde from the grim third-world.

Get Britons into work. Pull up the drawbridge to the riff-raff, the socially backward and the free-loaders. Pull up the drawbridge to the anti-Western religious zealots and to people who don't get our culture. And let's start deporting or repatriating these scum-parasites who threaten our people.

Britain used to be a green and pleasant land, it can be again.
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the point of moving to a country to just go on benefits? At least with home grown people you expect them to be here, with immigrants you expect better. You expect immigrants to be more educated than the average non-immigrant citizen of a given country.
Original post by Maker
Now that Cameron wants new immigrants to work for 4 years before getting benefits, should Brits also do the same beofre getting benefits?

This would stop the work shy and those who got straight from school to live off benefits instead of getting a job.

It would also reduce the need for low skilled immigrants because Brits will now have to do the dirty, hard and low paid jobs that are now "beneath" them because they will get no benefits until they have paid enough to qualify for them.

Surely the instant answer would be 'yes' so that it gets rid of (partially) the dependency culture. But scratch beneath the surface, and remember some people cannot work or are genuinely in need of support. I believe that if such a policy was implemented on British nationals, knowing our clumsy governments, the wrong people will pay the price and people will slip through the net while our overworked inadequate council staff make error upon error.
It is so infuriating that people buy into the tosh eminating from political parties in the UK which is nothing more than an attempt by said parties to grab headlines and votes. None of this **** is actually responsible for the state the UK economy is in. The attention is then taken away from the issues which really do matter and are hammering our economy, while the masses bicker with each other over irrelevant crap.

Immigration - Some figures suggest that there is little difference to the economy either way, some suggest it has a slightly negative impact and quite a few from government sources suggest that immigration is actually helping our economy. (these figures are widely available, if anyone wants links I will happily furnish you with them).

Conclusion - The impact of immigration on the economy is hard to quantify, it really depends on how it is measured. It would seem evident though that the impact is unlikely to be significantly negative on the scale of things and it is very possible immigration is having a positive effect not a negative one. So this really is not something to get our knickers in a twist over.

Unemployment - So how much impact are those 'feckless' 'workshy' 'scroungers' having on the economy? Well unemployment benefits equate to just over 3% of the welfare budget at £3bn. Hmm that hardly seems like the root of the nations troubles does it? Pensions on the other hand amount to 36% of the welfare budget at £36bn, 12 times what unemployment benefit is costing the nation.

Source: http://leftfootforward.org/images/2012/03/Breakdown-of-welfare-spending-2009-10.jpg

Conclusion - Compared to other expenses, unemployment benefits make up a small percentage of the welfare bill but pensions are 12 times more, and with people living longer this cost is only going to go one way. This ties back to immigration, maybe we actually need MORE immigration (fair enough perhaps a little more selective) to have a larger pool of workers who are paying tax into the system.

Banking - Yeah I know, not as sexy a subject as bashing those lazy workshy feckers who won't go out and get a job, I mean there are so many well paid secure employment opportunities around just now... /irony. "Since 2007 the UK has committed to spending £1.162 trillion at various points on bailing out the banks". This amount of money would cover unemployment benefit at the current rate until the year 2401.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout

Conclusion - This is obviously a major factor regarding the plight of the UK economy. Strange then that bankers continue to recieve their bonuses whilst a raft of measures come out to sort out those lazy feckless scapegoats/poor.

Tax evasion - Official figures show this cost the UK economy £35bn last year, about the same as the pension bill and 12 times the cost of unemployment benefit. These figures are said to be conservative with some estimates putting the cost at £120bn. That more than 4 times the pensions bill and enough to pay unemployment benefits at the current rate for 40 years.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/reality-check-with-polly-curtis/2011/sep/12/reality-check-banking-bailout

Conclusion - Without doubt this is another major factor in the state of the UK economy. So what is being done? well much the same effort as with the bankers. There are at best token efforts to tackle this problem.

Overall conclusion

If you wish to allow some of the least effective political parties this country has ever seen to act with impunity then carry on as you are doing. The nation is being distracted by divide and rule tactics which uses the most vulnerable people in the country as scapegoats, all the while allowing the real culprits to continue fleecing the country. It is not the workshy lazy feckers who are pilfering out your wage packet, it is the politicians, bankers and tax avoiders who are facilitating a failing political system, destroying our economy and threatening to bring the country to it's knees (if it isn't already there).

Stop being distracted by this ****, these political parties are going so far as to blame immigration, the disabled, poor and people who cannot find work. These people are not the cause of the countries woes, many would love a better situation and are faced with a work market offering little stability, zero hour contracts and work schemes that somehow are allowed to ignore the minimum wage requirements completely.

It is time to hold every political party who ignores the real causes of austerity, the failing economy and inequality to account. Wake up people, please!
Reply 7
Original post by Reason and Logic
It is so infuriating that people buy into the tosh eminating from political parties in the UK which is nothing more than an attempt by said parties to grab headlines and votes. None of this **** is actually responsible for the state the UK economy is in. The attention is then taken away from the issues which really do matter and are hammering our economy, while the masses bicker with each other over irrelevant crap.

Immigration - Some figures suggest that there is little difference to the economy either way, some suggest it has a slightly negative impact and quite a few from government sources suggest that immigration is actually helping our economy. (these figures are widely available, if anyone wants links I will happily furnish you with them).

Conclusion - The impact of immigration on the economy is hard to quantify, it really depends on how it is measured. It would seem evident though that the impact is unlikely to be significantly negative on the scale of things and it is very possible immigration is having a positive effect not a negative one. So this really is not something to get our knickers in a twist over.

Unemployment - So how much impact are those 'feckless' 'workshy' 'scroungers' having on the economy? Well unemployment benefits equate to just over 3% of the welfare budget at £3bn. Hmm that hardly seems like the root of the nations troubles does it? Pensions on the other hand amount to 36% of the welfare budget at £36bn, 12 times what unemployment benefit is costing the nation.

Source: http://leftfootforward.org/images/2012/03/Breakdown-of-welfare-spending-2009-10.jpg

Conclusion - Compared to other expenses, unemployment benefits make up a small percentage of the welfare bill but pensions are 12 times more, and with people living longer this cost is only going to go one way. This ties back to immigration, maybe we actually need MORE immigration (fair enough perhaps a little more selective) to have a larger pool of workers who are paying tax into the system.

Banking - Yeah I know, not as sexy a subject as bashing those lazy workshy feckers who won't go out and get a job, I mean there are so many well paid secure employment opportunities around just now... /irony. "Since 2007 the UK has committed to spending £1.162 trillion at various points on bailing out the banks". This amount of money would cover unemployment benefit at the current rate until the year 2401.

Conclusion - This is obviously a major factor regarding the plight of the UK economy. Strange then that bankers continue to recieve their bonuses whilst a raft of measures come out to sort out those lazy feckless scapegoats/poor.

Tax evasion - Official figures show this cost the UK economy £35bn last year, about the same as the pension bill and 12 times the cost of unemployment benefit. These figures are said to be conservative with some estimates putting the cost at £120bn. That more than 4 times the pensions bill and enough to pay unemployment benefits at the current rate for 40 years.

Conclusion - Without doubt this is another major factor in the state of the UK economy. So what is being done? well much the same effort as with the bankers. There are at best token efforts to tackle this problem.

Overall conclusion

If you wish to allow some of the least effective political parties this country has ever seen to act with impunity then carry on as you are doing. The nation is being distracted by divide and rule tactics which uses the most vulnerable people in the country as scapegoats, all the while allowing the real culprits to continue fleecing the country. It is not the workshy lazy feckers who are pilfering out your wage packet, it is the politicians, bankers and tax avoiders who are facilitating a failing political system, destroying our economy and threatening to bring the country to it's knees (if it isn't already there).

Stop being distracted by this ****, these political parties are going so far as to blame immigration, the disabled, poor and people who cannot find work. These people are not the cause of the countries woes, many would love a better situation and are faced with a work market offering little stability, zero hour contracts and work schemes that somehow are allowed to ignore the minimum wage requirements completely.

It is time to hold every political party who ignores the real causes of austerity, the failing economy and inequality to account. Wake up people, please!

+1 for not blaming all the country's problems on immigrants, many of whom are more useful to the country than some of the people complaining about them.
Think about someone who is genuinely trying to find work. I mean, making the job search a full-time occupation, applying to many jobs per day, being called for and attending interviews and so-on, maybe even getting some education and doing some volunteering but still not actually landing work. You'll even get those who'd rather let themselves get into poverty before swallowing their pride and signing on, but they do it because otherwise they'll die of starvation or cold.

Do you think it will be easier for them to find work if:

1) They are housed, fed, and sane,

2) They are cold, hungry and frightened?

I can understand the anger at slackers but there are those in genuine need of that lifeline who are doing everything they can to get a job and haven't had success.

I'm assuming this is just referring to jobseekers and not referring to people who can't work for legitimate reasons.
Reply 9
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
Think about someone who is genuinely trying to find work. I mean, making the job search a full-time occupation, applying to many jobs per day, being called for and attending interviews and so-on, maybe even getting some education and doing some volunteering but still not actually landing work. You'll even get those who'd rather let themselves get into poverty before swallowing their pride and signing on, but they do it because otherwise they'll die of starvation or cold.

Do you think it will be easier for them to find work if:

1) They are housed, fed, and sane,

2) They are cold, hungry and frightened?

I can understand the anger at slackers but there are those in genuine need of that lifeline who are doing everything they can to get a job and haven't had success.

I'm assuming this is just referring to jobseekers and not referring to people who can't work for legitimate reasons.

There will be people who can't work because they have a severe disability or they need to care for someone. I am not referring to those.

But a lot of people in Britain don't do as much as they could to get a job or maximise their employment potential because they have benefits to rely on. I mean even if someone was unemployed, they can still do things that can earn money or improve their employability such as buying a selling goods or services online or doing volunteering to improve their skills.
What about all of those feckless workshy graduates ie "the graduate unemployed".

They have just received hefty loans by the government to subsidise their three years of university aka lying in bed hungover, missing lectures because they can "get it from the portal anyway", then spending every evening on the lash often in some kind of stupid fancy dress, generally irritating everybody else in their town.

Why should they be allowed to then get benefits when they can't get a job after their degree?

It's time we start having a sensible debate about students and the government starts listening to genuine concerns about the influx of students in some towns that is damaging social cohesion. Of course the Westminster elite don't want to talk about it but I wonder how many of the Westminster elite live somewhere where a flat of 6 students moves in next door blaring music out at 3am in the morning and destroying the community.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What about all of those feckless workshy graduates ie "the graduate unemployed".

They have just received hefty loans by the government to subsidise their three years of university aka lying in bed hungover, missing lectures because they can "get it from the portal anyway", then spending every evening on the lash often in some kind of stupid fancy dress, generally irritating everybody else in their town.

Why should they be allowed to then get benefits when they can't get a job after their degree?

It's time we start having a sensible debate about students and the government starts listening to genuine concerns about the influx of students in some towns that is damaging social cohesion. Of course the Westminster elite don't want to talk about it but I wonder how many of the Westminster elite live somewhere where a flat of 6 students moves in next door blaring music out at 3am in the morning and destroying the community.

A little more career advice would've been helpful to start with.

I know the engineering company I work for is in a battle with other companies to attract apprentices.

Equally, we can't get hold of graduate engineers for love not money.

I guess many will be regretting that choice if studying media studies, sociology and modern art history.
Reply 12
People on benefits should work for benefits and contribute to society
Original post by Maker

All that this does is use the poor and the unemployed as scapegoats. These people's parents paid their taxes to a state that has a welfare system that helps the unfortunate not victimise and dehumanise them.
Why should people who have lived here all their lives be held to the same restrictions as those who haven't?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Skip_Snip
Why should people who have lived here all their lives be held to the same restrictions as those who haven't?

I thought Brits were meant to be better than foreigners so really they should have to pay in 5 years instead of 4.
There aren't enough jobs for everyone. If you don't give the unemployed benifits and they can't get a job paying enought o live, what do you think they will end up doing?
'Benefits' has become synonymous in many people's minds with Jobseeker's Allowance. Remember that there are many, many elderly and disabled people who rely on benefits that are nothing to do with finding a job.
Original post by MatureStudent36
A little more career advice would've been helpful to start with.

I know the engineering company I work for is in a battle with other companies to attract apprentices.

Equally, we can't get hold of graduate engineers for love not money.

I guess many will be regretting that choice if studying media studies, sociology and modern art history.

What sort of calibre students are you looking for? For engineering degrees you usually need maths, physics A-level etc grades A or B.

For media studies, sociology, etc it is less subject specific and it's more like CCC or whatever.

So maybe the problem isn't that those students doing media studies and sociology made the wrong choice, its that the choices weren't open to them.

Perhaps if engineering degrees started to open the doors to the CCC students you would be able to hire the graduates you want.
Reply 19
Original post by Maker

Everyone should have to wait 4 years before they can claim benefits. It will reduce laziness and will hopefully lower the amount of people thinking that they can use the benefit system as a way of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending