The Student Room Group

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Let's say you won a jackpot of £150million what would be your plans?

Would you aim to maintain your newly acquired wealth or spend every penny.

What would you do with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JRHewett

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really early retirement. Especially given that the average person only earns £1m.

1. Nice house (with personal cinema)
2. My own island for a getaway
3. My own business (Only a small one) - Probably IT training or something similar
4. Well.. The remainder will be spent throughout my life
Reply 2
I'd make my own clones..
Reply 3
Original post by Binary Freak
Really early retirement. Especially given that the average person only earns £1m.

1. Nice house (with personal cinema)
2. My own island for a getaway
3. My own business (Only a small one) - Probably IT training or something similar
4. Well.. The remainder will be spent throughout my life

Interesting!

I guess the desirability of owning an island is a common one, I would agree with that one 100%. Would be interesting to see whether what you say here would differ from what you actually did should you win. :tongue:

Original post by Lil08
I'd make my own clones..

Seems your not alone with that idea! Infact there is a whole film based on the concept of a rich person having their very own clone. :biggrin:

[video="youtube;B5hRQwewcUY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5hRQwewcUY[/video]

(edited 9 years ago)
1. Reimburse my father for educational costs over my life time (+£250,000)

2. Pay off both of my parents mortgages.

3. For me to spend how I please. Mainly property investments.
Interesting!
I guess the desirability of owning an island is a common one, I would agree with that one 100%. Would be interesting to see whether what you say here would differ from what you actually did should you win. :tongue:

I don't think it'd differ to be fair. I do find myself frequently getting annoyed by those around me. A very few people are exempt from that statement. So the island would be the perfect way to get away from it all. A small house.. No internet just the standard stuff.. Fully self sufficient! :smile:

I would also probably ensure I have enough to fund the education of my children that way their education won't be completely reliant on Student Finance

As for my own business. That's something I've always wanted to do!

By a nice house I'd like it brand new.. Something away from the industrial side of life...By the countryside!!! Also a modernized style house. They've always fascinated me.

EDIT: My lottery would need to be secret though. Otherwise it'd make it a nightmare for any children I have (if any) since a majority of the people they're friends with might use them for having a rich parent.
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would probably spend most of my life in education to be honest! I'd work my way into a job that I loved and spend the rest on my family and friends. I would probably invest some in business and some in charity. The one thing I would Not do is announce my winnings on TV like some people! I would hate to be in the public eye for simply winning a load of money :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd wax the lot and probably end up dead within a matter of years.
Reply 8
Buy a small village and knock it all down then laugh at all the homeless people.
Original post by And then...
I'd wax the lot and probably end up dead within a matter of years.

Prozzies, cocaine and alcoholic beverages?
Prozzies, cocaine and alcoholic beverages?

Probably think Ozzy Osbourne and Motley Crue.
cancel my UCAS application
1. Quit university.
2. give my parents and sister a few million.
3. move somewhere cold, maybe Scandinavia, buy/build a house.
4. marry a supermodel, buy a bugatti veyron. xD
5. Do charity work.
6. go to space.

:cool:
Original post by Anonymous263
1. Quit university.
2. give my parents and sister a few million.
3. move somewhere cold, maybe Scandinavia, buy/build a house.
4. marry a supermodel, buy a bugatti veyron. xD
5. Do charity work.
6. go to space.

:cool:

Might want to hire a hit-man in the instance that a divorce happens. :holmes:
Might want to hire a hit-man in the instance that a divorce happens. :holmes:

shoot, didn't think about that, ill sign a prenup or whatever they're called before getting married xD
Original post by Anonymous263
shoot, didn't think about that, ill sign a prenup or whatever they're called before getting married xD

Better get those legal binding contracts in place :cookie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by spanker
Buy a small village and knock it all down then laugh at all the homeless people.

Omg lmao! You should search up on the Rockefeller tower in New York. They acquired all the land required except for one house, who refused to sell the house despite extreme monetary offers.

Better yet here's a link.. http://m.ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/04/08/the_two_little_townhouses_that_refused_to_sell_to_rockefeller.php

What about that eh?:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
- 100 million re-invested (half into a business, half into something 'safe'). I'll live off my share of the profit, which should be a decent yearly income. If there's a lot surplus I'll save it / donate to charity.
- 10 million to my parents, 10 million to my sister (she will inherit from my parents anyway).
- 5 million shared between friends and relatives, tapering out so as to minimise jealous phonecalls. I'll employ someone to administer this. Priority will be given to first cousins and those with most need / who want to fund educational projects.
- 5 million invested, with the profits funding masters' courses for deserving students.
- 5 million invested, with the profits giving grants to ex-offenders who have been referred as showing a real desire to turn their lives around.
- 5 million for select 'one of a kind' charity projects, with advice from experts.
- 10 million in an account, that I can have as a basis to use whenever I feel like it (eg buying a house / doing a PhD / going to the cinema).

Actually, that's a lie. I'd blow the lot on pizza.
I won £3 earlier and if I'm honest, I'm quite happy with that, haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since my previous reply is the 'boring' kind, I'd also quite like to learn to fly / parachute etc. The kinds of things you pay a lot for as an average person, but wouldn't notice as a millionaire.

I'd also buy a soft play area - like Boomerang, but cooler, and for adults. And with trampolines. Then invite all my friends. Then charge the public.

Quick Reply

Latest