The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Torn between 2 unis in the same city :-(

Ok, long story short I'm resitting my A levels. By right I should already be in university. Last year I went on an open day at Liverpool uni and fell in love with the place. Due to circumstances and me not coping well with exams I don't have the required grades, and I don't want to push and stress myself that far in case I mess up my results again. I was disappointed knowing I wouldn't have the chance to go there, but I got over it.

I love Liverpool as a city, and it's not that far from home. So I looked into applying for John Moores, visited an open day. I liked it, but compared to Liverpool I didn't exactly "love" it. Then this year I attended another open day, as I cleared Liverpool uni and the thought of going out of my mind, and this time I settled for John Moores. They were the first ones to give me an offer as well a few weeks ago. I've looked into accommodation and found some I really like. However when I sent my UCAS away I applied for Liverpool too, not ever imagining they'd offer me a place. But they have.

Now I'm totally torn on what to do. I prefer Liverpool University as a uni, as it's older, more historic and I guess prestigious compared to John Moores, however I much prefer the accommodation at John Moores as everywhere has an ensure (i hate sharing). I know I'd only be living there for a year, but to me that is a long time, even if it'll fly by. Now, if I confirm Liverpool as my first choice, and John Moores as my insurance, they don't allow you to insure accommodation at John Moores. I know I said everywhere is ensuite which is what I'd prefer, but there's some halls/flats I prefer more to the others. Wow, I sound so fussy, I'm not, it's just I can't wait to move out, and if I'm not happy with accommodation it'll make me want to visit home more often and just generally aggravate me. Also I don't want to confirm Liverpool and get my hopes up only to not get in and then have no idea until last minute where I'll be living at John Moores. Then there's the grades, I don't understand why Liverpool have offered me a place when they would have seen on my application I don't have the grades that they're asking for

I'm so stuck on what to do, obviously with regards to reputation everyone would say Liverpool is better as it's older, but surely John Moores isn't bad? I genuinely never thought I'd get an offer from Liverpool, I only applied without telling anyone in case they rejected me, just to see what would happen, and really to fill up my choices list as I'd settled for John Moores.

If anyone has any advice then pleaseee help me!!! :-(
(edited 9 years ago)
Congrats on the offers, I think Liverpool is really appealing too!
How different are the two courses and the offers? If they're not too dissimilar you should pick the university you like most because there's definitely going to be some sort of accommodation that you like at Liverpool and remember your accommodation won't be the highlight of your uni life - so maybe pick the place where the course/uni is most desirable :wink:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Ki Yung Na
Congrats on the offers, I think Liverpool is really appealing too!
How different are the two courses and the offers? If they're not too dissimilar you should pick the university you like most because there's definitely going to be some sort of accommodation that you like at Liverpool and remember your accommodation won't be the highlight of your uni life - so maybe pick the place where the course/uni is most desirable :wink:

thank you!! The courses are exactly the same, I applied to study Law. Straight Law. Maybe their ways of teaching would be different but other than that I think the courses are the same. Oh I know the accommodation won't be the highlight, I just don't want to be unhappy or unsettled somewhere :-( haha, thank you though :-)
Original post by Charl0tte_Emily
thank you!! The courses are exactly the same, I applied to study Law. Straight Law. Maybe their ways of teaching would be different but other than that I think the courses are the same. Oh I know the accommodation won't be the highlight, I just don't want to be unhappy or unsettled somewhere :-( haha, thank you though :-)

Go for Liverpool University! Much better prospects after graduation and probably better associations and clubs etc. I agree the halls for Liverpool uni are a bit rubbish but you'll all be in the same boat and I've heard people bond quite a lot moaning about the size of their corridor etc :wink:

That's alright! And I know what you mean, I'll be quite picky about having en suite too although I've not even begun to research it yet :P

Btw do you know if the accommodation you've found is strictly for LJM? I've noticed that there's a lot of accommodation sharing between the Liverpool unis.
Original post by Ki Yung Na
That's alright! And I know what you mean, I'll be quite picky about having en suite too although I've not even begun to research it yet :P

Btw do you know if the accommodation you've found is strictly for LJM? I've noticed that there's a lot of accommodation sharing between the Liverpool unis.

Better get started :P

I'm not sure, because I've just noticed the same thing, some of LJM's accommodation is available to Liverpool students or Edge Hill students, etc, but I have no idea how applying for that would work... Confusing :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now now, I haven't even sent my UCAS off yet lol

Perhaps you could email the admissions at both LJM and Liverpool asking which accommodation is open to students from other unis and which unis these are?

I'd say let's hope someone from Liverpool notices this thread soon, but when I put it into context.. Liverpool students and Friday night - maybe not anytime soon.
No contest. A year of an en suite won't make up for severely reduced job prospects in 4 years time. University reputation does matter in the law, so if you have any ambition to actually become a lawyer in the future, go to Liverpool University.
Hey, I'm a second year at Liverpool.

If you wanted to stay in the halls that are shared with JMU, you'd apply for those through the company that owns them, not through uni as you would with Carnatic/Vine Court etc.

It's not uncommon to do that, there's quite a lot of shared JMU/UoL shared halls that are really close to the UoL campus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alexandra19
Hey, I'm a second year at Liverpool.

If you wanted to stay in the halls that are shared with JMU, you'd apply for those through the company that owns them, not through uni as you would with Carnatic/Vine Court etc.

It's not uncommon to do that, there's quite a lot of shared JMU/UoL shared halls that are really close to the UoL campus :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already firmed Liverpool as my first choice and put JMU as my insurance. I heard about that and was thinking of it, but I don't really know how to go about applying for accommodation that way...? I've already put Crown Place down as my first and second options at Liverpool uni, and Greenbank as my third :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already firmed Liverpool as my first choice and put JMU as my insurance. I heard about that and was thinking of it, but I don't really know how to go about applying for accommodation that way...? I've already put Crown Place down as my first and second options at Liverpool uni, and Greenbank as my third :|

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crown place is really lovely and it's all en suite too! I'm at Greenbank which is rubbish but so much fun. So many people don't get their first or second choice so don't whine about halls before you've even been allocated a place, you might end up somewhere that suits you well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending