The Student Room Group

Getting Racists Fired

What do you think of this?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/iramadison/you-are-fired
http://racistsgettingfired.tumblr.com/

At first I was conflicted but upon further reflection I've come to the conclusion that this may be my favourite internet trend yet.

Scroll to see replies

Still not fired. You mad?

Love how only racism to blacks count. Dat media brainwash is one hell of a drug.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Why don't you find their adresses and post it so that they could be murdered on top of fired???.
Reply 3
A lot of the things on there aren't even vaguely offensive, one of them is just criticising the Ferguson riots, another uses the word 'tranny' in a joke.

Social Justice Warriors really are nasty pieces of work, http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/ for some of the crazy **** they come out with.
Reply 4
this is ****ing dumb
I reckon it's a load of ****. Those comments are a bit distasteful but that's all. I reckon those tumblr people are probably a bunch of self-righteous PC arses.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jono404
http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/ for some of the crazy **** they come out with.

:rofl3:
What nasty people, potentially ruining someone's life over a few words
I feel no sympathy whatsoever for genuine racists, and some of those comments are extremely stupid, but I think this is a bit over the top. Only a few examples are shown but I can imagine that people could be losing their jobs over harmless (but racist) jokes. This is basically trial by internet, except making racist comments isn't a crime.

It's one thing to shame racists, but something which could possibly ruin their lives and their family just doesn't feel acceptable to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Some of them deserve it tbh. I feel no sympathy for those people some of the things that they are saying are purely disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated. However some of the posts there are people just making harmless jokes (they might be slightly offensive but you can tell that they aren't supposed to be malicious) I think it's unfair to ruin someone's life over harmless jokes that aren't intended to hurt anyone.
Original post by Rlove95
Some of them deserve it tbh. I feel no sympathy for those people some of the things that they are saying are purely disgusting and shouldn't be tolerated. However some of the posts there are people just making harmless jokes (they might be slightly offensive but you can tell that they aren't supposed to be malicious) I think it's unfair to ruin someone's life over harmless jokes that aren't intended to hurt anyone.

There's no evidence any of them actually said those things. A few minutes on MS paint and you could make anyone on your facebook look like the next Hitler. Then there's people posting on other peoples accounts etc.

It's basically the 21st century Salem Witch Trials.
Hahaha, hilarious. If you're backwards enough to hold racist views, and dumb enough to voice them online, then I have absolutely no sympathy for what happens to you when people in your professional life find out. The tumblr ones aren't all legit though.

Got to admire the one dumbass of the thread who comes out with the "OMG so it only counts when it's against black people" line too. Priceless.
Original post by Aku-gila

Got to admire the one dumbass of the thread who comes out with the "OMG so it only counts when it's against black people" line too. Priceless.

So this is fine then?

http://imgur.com/gWs6nQq
Original post by Jono404
Social Justice Warriors really are nasty pieces of work, http://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrInAction/ for some of the crazy **** they come out with.

tumblr and reddit are the two worst places on the internet but for entirely different reasons. It's quite nice that there are two websites that can attract the majority of terrible people so the rest of the internet can be slightly less unpleasant.
Original post by Aku-gila
Hahaha, hilarious. If you're backwards enough to hold racist views, and dumb enough to voice them online, then I have absolutely no sympathy for what happens to you when people in your professional life find out. The tumblr ones aren't all legit though.

I don't think anyone feels sympathy for those who are genuinely racist. But some of those comments aren't even offensive at all and one or two of them are just jokes. That people could lose their jobs for no good reason is what gets some people angry about this.

I have no problem with someone losing their job after going on facebook and posting a 2000 word rant about how muslims wiped out the dinosaurs, or claiming that black people are committing "white genocide". I do have a problem with people losing their job for saying something which is not at all offensive, because some keyboard warriors on tumblr scream about it.
Reply 15
Urgh, tumblr is one of the worst websites on the internet. Full of SJWs...
Original post by Fizzel
Again while I don't feel sympathy for them, I still think this is pretty bad. The idea that after a few words on the internet you can be hounded by the public and your employer forced by public opinion to throw you out of work, is pretty dangerous. What happens if the same principles are applied in Russia for anti-racist activists? Or Iran for LGBT activists? Its a disgusting way to go about things, and I don't think people should be turning a blind eye to that because, at the minute, its being used against a certain group of people.

:cool: Agree with every word.

Also while it might be fine for you 17 year old white girl to do her part as a 'white ally' (*cringe*), if someone is a racist making them lose their job without legal process, isn't a great idea for the people they are being racist towards. Now they can walk around with an axe to grind, justify their white victim theories, and generally just become even more racist. I prefer them talking **** on twitter, at least all they are doing then is talking.

Yep. Will probably go around thinking black people got them the sack.
At first I thought I would agree with this, if someone shows they support the BNP on their Facebook for example, they really do have it coming to them.

Half that stuff wasn't racist though, the transexual joke, just wasn't offensive (even on TSR I have noticed that people are hugely over-sensitive when it comes to that issue) and the belt thing wasn't necessarily racist, you have White people who wear their trousers down low and Black people who wear them at a normal level.
Reply 18
Why only racism against black matters? What about racism against white people?
Original post by RFowler
I feel no sympathy whatsoever for genuine racists, and some of those comments are extremely stupid, but I think this is a bit over the top. Only a few examples are shown but I can imagine that people could be losing their jobs over harmless (but racist) jokes. This is basically trial by internet, except making racist comments isn't a crime.

It's one thing to shame racists, but something which could possibly ruin their lives and their family just doesn't feel acceptable to me.

This is the problem, quite a lot of White people (I have noticed this and I am White myself) use anti-racism to advertise how good they are as people.

So if they see someone making a racist joke, they start a huge witch-hunt and try to destroy that person's life, on the other hand, they could have a quiet one-on-one word with that person and just say, it's not particularly funny and it is immature and they should stop. They probably would take it well and use it as an opportunity to mature, but if you do turn it into a huge deal, they will probably adopt a siege mentality.

Quick Reply

Latest