The Student Room Group

Am I underachieving?

I never revised for my AS levels and I got Cs and Ds. I am too busy playing online games and general procrastinating. I do no work outside of school whatsoever. I know this is bad but I'm happy achieving C grades at A level and just 'being average'. I revised for an exam once and I got near full marks, but it's too stressful and depressing, and I'd much rather be gaming instead.

Does this mean that I am underachieving, or am I just like most people?
It means youre a bit of a tool cocking up your future when you could work harder and do better investing in your future.
Reply 2
Yeah, you are. I would tell you to sort it out, but I realize the advice of a random stranger on the internet is easily ignored.
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, you are. I would tell you to sort it out, but I realize the advice of a random stranger on the internet is easily ignored.

I don't know why I had decided to do A levels when I think about it. If I do get Cs, I will be able to go to a lower University, and 'relax'. My friend is at a good University, and she always imparts that her course is too demanding, and that she has little time for herself. I don't like stress and deadlines, and would much rather be gaming instead.
Original post by Erstwhistle
I don't know why I had decided to do A levels when I think about it. If I do get Cs, I will be able to go to a lower University, and 'relax'. My friend is at a good University, and she always imparts that her course is too demanding, and that she has little time for herself. I don't like stress and deadlines, and would much rather be gaming instead.

You need to grow up a bit
Alain de Botton
What we call 'wasting time' is usually fear, not laziness

Botton bang on the money, as ever.
C grades are probably below average to be honest...
You're going to make the same mistakes I did by going to a "lower" University, no employer will take your degree seriously and you'll be stuck in Retail/Customer Service for a long time.
Reply 8

nah, welcome to the team of chronic slackers bro - that is, if you understand that you're damaging your future and don't inherently care.

Although realistically you can go to a lower uni anyway - and it's not for definite that you'll be able to relax. Some "low" uni's give you ****tons of work, it's just not very efficient at teaching you.
Well you better make your mind up quickly about whether you're ok with jobs that don't require degrees but you should know that it's tough out there.

Why bother going to university at all? It takes a lot of time and money, so if you're heart's not in it you're better off not going.
Original post by Birkenhead
Botton bang on the money, as ever.

Definitely seems familiar. Can only speak from experience but for me it was definitely fear of being reminded of school, I did anything I could to try to forget about school. I was so stressed by school I became clinically underweight and was at risk of becoming anorexic. Playing video games does seem like a form of escapism and it's one I used to use also.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and get some help from someone who would understand and be able to guide you? Maybe you could look at your situation and reflect on whether or not you might be trying to escape, maybe you're not trying to but it's worth considering because the thing about trying to escape is that because you're escaping sometimes even from yourself it's possible to go into denial.
i think many people was in this situation.
u question remind me about what my dad told me . he said real life would not really allow you to escape all the thing u don't like . u need to know how to take the challenge. if u wanna escape just because of feeling stressful in school . u may find out workplace is more horrible. cz more competitive.
By the way , u r gonna to take the responsibility of your family. that means u really need to be a man instead of a turtle.
Original post by Savannah=-=
By the way , u r gonna to take the responsibility of your family. that means u really need to be a man instead of a turtle.

Wat/wisdom I don't know how to feel
Original post by WeedCanKill
Wat/wisdom I don't know how to feel

personally. i just imagine what i can do for my parents. And what i can do for my kids in the future.
Original post by Savannah=-=
personally. i just imagine what i can do for my parents. And what i can do for my kids in the future.

And I imagine that wouldn't be much if you were a turtle

Quick Reply

Latest