The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Questions about courses

I'm looking to start one of the following courses;

BSc (Honours) Computing and IT or BSc (Honours) Natural Sciences.

I am 21 and never did well in school mainly to not caring and being young and stupid, I hate myself for it now. Then I went to college and did a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT and got a Pass, but I didn't want to go to uni at the time so I never went for the Merit and Distinction grades in the assignments.

Now I'm just stuck on which course to do since I already have IT qualifications and the job prospects are probably a lot better in IT than Science, but I've liked Science since forever and if I did it then I would like to go the Astronomy and Planetary Sciences route but I'm not sure if I'd be able to do it since I only had a C in Physics and a C in Chemistry at foundation level GCSE.

Also would I be able to start as a part time and then go full time for the second and third year? Because I'm not sure if there will be too much work for me.

Is there an exam at the end of the degree or is all just based on coursework?

I've got more questions but I'm drawing a blank right now. Thanks.
You can choose to do as few or as many credits as you like, so part - full time can be interchangable year on year. In general you cannot do more than 120 per year.

There is an exam in every module in physics that I can think of.

You don't need GCSEs to get in, as the first year brings you up to speed. THe level is significantly lower than other universities during the first year.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by BestProfileName
You can choose to do as few or as many credits as you like, so part - full time can be interchangable year on year. In general you cannot do more than 120 per year.

There is an exam in every module in physics that I can think of.

You don't need GCSEs to get in, as the first year brings you up to speed. THe level is significantly lower than other universities during the first year.

Thanks, that is good to know. Do you know a place where I can see how many exams and assignments I will have to do because on the course page I can't see anything about exams.
Original post by jtw7
Thanks, that is good to know. Do you know a place where I can see how many exams and assignments I will have to do because on the course page I can't see anything about exams.

It does. If you scroll down, on the right you should see a box. This is MST124, for example:
[h="3"]Course work includes:[/h]4 Tutor-marked assignments (TMAs)4 Interactive computer-marked assignments (iCMAs)Examination

Reply 4
Original post by BestProfileName
It does. If you scroll down, on the right you should see a box. This is MST124, for example:
Course work includes:

4 Tutor-marked assignments (TMAs)4 Interactive computer-marked assignments (iCMAs)Examination

Oh yes, thanks. I never thought to actually click on the module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending