The Student Room Group

How to fake confidence until you make it?

I'm a relatively quiet person, which I don't mind. My problem is that I feel awkward in quite a lot of social situations. Especially in group situations and around loud outgoing people. I think I get intimidated and perceive them to be better than me, which just makes me feel nervous and uncomfortable.

I tend to over-think social situations and over-analyse myself. I think I care to much about what other people think.

People say that to become more self-assured and confident you just need to "fake it 'til you make it". The problem is that I don't know how to fake it - if I did I probably wouldn't be in this situation!

Tips from anyone? I really want to overcome this.
I would say it's easier to be friends with other quiet people if you are yourself. You just need to spot them. Do they sit at a corner of the class away from everyone else?
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
I would say it's easier to be friends with other quiet people if you are yourself. You just need to spot them. Do they sit at a corner of the class away from everyone else?

I'm at uni and have plenty of friends I feel perfectly comfortable around. I want to become more confident with people I don't know very well.
Original post by ummm
I'm at uni and have plenty of friends I feel perfectly comfortable around. I want to become more confident with people I don't know very well.

It's not too hard to ask your friends how they handle "strangers", surely? I'm sure they'll be happy to help, if they really are your friends they would accept that you have this flaw and you want to address it, instead of laughing at you which is the same as kicking you while you're down
Reply 5
Original post by shawn_o1
It's not too hard to ask your friends how they handle "strangers", surely? I'm sure they'll be happy to help, if they really are your friends they would accept that you have this flaw and you want to address it, instead of laughing at you which is the same as kicking you while you're down

What? When did I ever say that they laugh at me or judge me for this? They don't. I want to do it purely for me.
From Russia with love,Vodka.
Reply 7
Original post by And then...
From Russia with love,Vodka.

I'm already well-acquainted with this solution. It's not very long term though. I need an alternative.
(edited 9 years ago)
I moved abroad for 6 months. Came back a different person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending