The Student Room Group

Self teaching A-Level Maths

Hi, When giving the option of going to Six-form or College I opted for College and I'm studying a level 3 BTEC with intentions of going to uni. However, Many Uni's will only let me start from foundation year or i need an A-level in maths.

From what I've figured out so far I just find a private exam center and book away. However I have no idea what units to learn, which ones are AS and A2 etc. I just need to know what to book and what to learn.

Also, I'd like to stay with Edexcel

Thanks,

Jake
Original post by Sahreeehibm
Hi, When giving the option of going to Six-form or College I opted for College and I'm studying a level 3 BTEC with intentions of going to uni. However, Many Uni's will only let me start from foundation year or i need an A-level in maths.

From what I've figured out so far I just find a private exam center and book away. However I have no idea what units to learn, which ones are AS and A2 etc. I just need to know what to book and what to learn.

Also, I'd like to stay with Edexcel

Thanks,

Jake

AS MATHS comprises C1 and C2 and your choice of 1 unit from D1, M1 or S1
Since you are teaching yourself I recommend S1 as it mostly builds on what you already know from gcse
To complete the full A level you also need to take the A2 units C3 and C4 plus another applications unit that could be the 2 unit that follows from your choice at AS or one of the other 1 units
I would recommend either S2 if you find statistics easy and are doing something statistical at uni or M1 if you are doing something more engineering/physicsy. D1 isn't hard but it is fiddly and it's easy to lose loads of marks if you don't answer exactly as required.

In my opinion, The best books for self study of Edexcel A level maths are these, there is one for each unit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417209962&sr=1-1&keywords=edexcel+c1+maths

But look for them on eBay at 25-50% of buying new

The examsolutions web site it excellent for edexcel students

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
AS MATHS comprises C1 and C2 and your choice of 1 unit from D1, M1 or S1
Since you are teaching yourself I recommend S1 as it mostly builds on what you already know from gcse
To complete the full A level you also need to take the A2 units C3 and C4 plus another applications unit that could be the 2 unit that follows from your choice at AS or one of the other 1 units
I would recommend either S2 if you find statistics easy and are doing something statistical at uni or M1 if you are doing something more engineering/physicsy. D1 isn't hard but it is fiddly and it's easy to lose loads of marks if you don't answer exactly as required.

In my opinion, The best books for self study of Edexcel A level maths are these, there is one for each unit
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417209962&sr=1-1&keywords=edexcel+c1+maths

But look for them on eBay at 25-50% of buying new

The examsolutions web site it excellent for edexcel students

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your help, it was exactly what I needed.

Quick Reply

Latest