The Student Room Group

What Happens To Child Prodigies Once They Grow Up?

E.g. people who go to university very early. Do they usually end up becoming geniuses/leaders in their fields of work? Does the extra time give them an advantage? Or does being a "child prodigy" not really matter in the long run?

Scroll to see replies

IMO I think it affects them their whole lives you know? But on the downside it could have a negative effect on them - especially if they're living their lives having to deal with a lot of stress such as parents pushing them too hard
To get started; the seven year old surgeon.

He is 21 now and still hasn't cured cancer. He was a child prodigy and claimed he had a cure for cancer at age 8.

A little bit of more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrit_Jaswal
Reply 3
Original post by Safiya122
IMO I think it affects them their whole lives you know? But on the downside it could have a negative effect on them - especially if they're living their lives having to deal with a lot of stress such as parents pushing them too hard

Yeah, I guess parents only push them once they're kids (and the parents can) though? :smile:
Original post by Morrisseya
Yeah, I guess parents only push them once they're kids (and the parents can) though? :smile:

Yeah I agree but that can have a negative effect on their lives in the wrong run you know?
Reply 5
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
To get started; the seven year old surgeon.

He is 21 now and still hasn't cured cancer. He was a child prodigy and claimed he had a cure for cancer at age 8.

A little bit of more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akrit_Jaswal

He sounds really talented, but that whole "cure for cancer" thing may just have been something he said for attention (and the kid was 8 TBF!)

We don't seem to have many child prodigies in this country (except Ruth Lawrence, and was that Terence Tao guy British too?)

Safiya122
Yeah I agree but that can have a negative effect on their lives in the wrong run you know?

True that :frown:
I think the modern day child prodigy title is given away too easy nowadays. None of them are anything compared to people like Mozart
E.g. people who go to university very early. Do they usually end up becoming geniuses/leaders in their fields of work? Does the extra time give them an advantage? Or does being a "child prodigy" not really matter in the long run?

The answer to this is as simple as some do, some don't, and you can find plenty of examples for both cases.

e.g Terence Tao: Youngest ever gold medal winner in the IMO (a notoriously difficult mathematics competition), later went on to win the Field's Medal (The equivalent of a Nobel Prize in Mathematics, except it's only awarded every four years), and became the youngest full professor ever at UCLA.
Original post by ThatPerson
The answer to this is as simple as some do, some don't, and you can find plenty of examples for both cases.

e.g Terence Tao: Youngest ever gold medal winner in the IMO (a notoriously difficult mathematics competition), later went on to win the Field's Medal (The equivalent of a Nobel Prize in Mathematics, except it's only awarded every four years), and became the youngest full professor ever at UCLA.

I think I've heard of him, but he isn't exactly famous like Alan Turing. Has he made any significant contributions to Maths instead of winning awards?
He sounds really talented, but that whole "cure for cancer" thing may just have been something he said for attention (and the kid was 8 TBF!)

We don't seem to have many child prodigies in this country (except Ruth Lawrence, and was that Terence Tao guy British too?)

I'm interested how is Ruth Lawrence doing these days? I've never heard of her before a couple of days when someone mentioned her.
I think I've heard of him, but he isn't exactly famous like Alan Turing. Has he made any significant contributions to Maths instead of winning awards?

The Field's Medal is awarded for making a significant contribution to mathematics.
Original post by ThatPerson
The Field's Medal is awarded for making a significant contribution to mathematics.

Which was...?
Prodigies are just... amazing.
Their brain structure..
Just how are child prodigies created?
Original post by inachigeek21
Prodigies are just... amazing.
Their brain structure..
Just how are child prodigies created?

Banana in bagel from GM creates from unknown district of unknown galaxy.

Or jag ons :sexface:
One of the problems here is that the definition of "prodigy" has been distorted. Whenever I hear that in the UK media, it's about an 8 year old who got an A* in GCSE Mathematics or a 17 year old who got 100% in 10 A Levels. The problem is that neither of these are any insurance that you'll actually do well in the real world. For instance, if we're talking about science, there's no way exams can in any way quantify how good a scientist you'll actually be. Another important point about science is that the day of the lone scientist is long gone. Science is now so group based, it's virtually impossible for there to be another Einstein or another Newton.

Another type of "prodigy" are people with exceptional unique skills like human calculators but again, these skills really aren't that applicable in the real world. You do still get the occasional child genius who turns into an adult genius but it doesn't seem to be that common.
Original post by Chlorophile
One of the problems here is that the definition of "prodigy" has been distorted. Whenever I hear that in the UK media, it's about an 8 year old who got an A* in GCSE Mathematics or a 17 year old who got 100% in 10 A Levels. The problem is that neither of these are any insurance that you'll actually do well in the real world. For instance, if we're talking about science, there's no way exams can in any way quantify how good a scientist you'll actually be. Another important point about science is that the day of the lone scientist is long gone. Science is now so group based, it's virtually impossible for there to be another Einstein or another Newton.

Another type of "prodigy" are people with exceptional unique skills like human calculators but again, these skills really aren't that applicable in the real world. You do still get the occasional child genius who turns into an adult genius but it doesn't seem to be that common.

:yep:

Except I disagree with there not being another Einstein or Newton.

Although unlikely it's certainly possibly for someone to come along and make an equal contribution. In this day and age I guess it's very difficult because so much has been discovered and we have advanced so much. I think the next big thing would be a TOE. If someone discovers this I think they would be better than Einstein or Newton.

I think we just need someone to think outside the box of mathematics for once, just like Einstein did.
They grow up and realise such a thing doesn't exist.

This is a topic I researched for a long time as a former 'gifted' child myself who was pushed to go to uni at 15 (i dropped out).

This ladies story is great/sad http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/dec/20/family-child-prodigy

I am now 19 and finally ready to go back into education again.
Original post by Safiya122

Every 'prodigy' (dumb word) I knew has some kind of mental issues now. My friend who got into oxford at 14 dropped out aswell and she has gone from one dead end job to the next since then....
:yep:

Except I disagree with there not being another Einstein or Newton.

Although unlikely it's certainly possibly for someone to come along and make an equal contribution. In this day and age I guess it's very difficult because so much has been discovered and we have advanced so much. I think the next big thing would be a TOE. If someone discovers this I think they would be better than Einstein or Newton.

I think we just need someone to think outside the box of mathematics for once, just like Einstein did.

Is that going to be done by one person though? I can't think of a recent truly major breakthrough in science that really was developed mainly by a single prodigious individual. The technology required for the modern advanced experiments in physics, for instance, are so expensive and complex that there's no way it could be done by a person by themselves. James Lovelock himself says that the day of the lone scientist are unfortunately long gone.

Quick Reply

Latest