The Student Room Group

Would I feel left out studying abroad in the US as a 20 year old?

So I'm currently applying to study abroad next year, in the US or Canada.
Right now, University of Texas at Austin looks fantastic, the only thing being for the whole time I'm there I will be 20 (problems of a summer birthday :P )
Has anyone had any experience as to what Uni life is like stateside when you're not yet 21. I know that is the minimum drinking age, but would I still be able to go to a bar/club with friends and just not buy (alcoholic) drinks, or will they be 21+ entry?
I just think it would seem a bit odd, going from 2 years of being able to go out n the UK, to being stuck in again, especially when most of the people who will be in my year will be 21+ or will turn 21 that year (I'm studying abroad in my third year).
It's not that I feel like I need alcohol to have a good time, but if I will be seriously limited as to what I can do then I might just make my second choice uni (in Canada) my first instead.
If you've experienced anything similar and could share your stories, please do :smile:
Reply 1
You could always celebrate it indoors? Or get your friends to buy you drinks and you pay them back? Or just go back to the UK to celebrate it with friends and family.
There are plenty of American students who can't legally drink as well surely, so you wouldn't be alone. Plus if American movies are an accurate reflection of life then you'll go to plenty of boozed up house parties with those red cups they seem to love.
Original post by Sam_Pem
So I'm currently applying to study abroad next year, in the US or Canada.
Right now, University of Texas at Austin looks fantastic, the only thing being for the whole time I'm there I will be 20 (problems of a summer birthday :P )
Has anyone had any experience as to what Uni life is like stateside when you're not yet 21. I know that is the minimum drinking age, but would I still be able to go to a bar/club with friends and just not buy (alcoholic) drinks, or will they be 21+ entry?
I just think it would seem a bit odd, going from 2 years of being able to go out n the UK, to being stuck in again, especially when most of the people who will be in my year will be 21+ or will turn 21 that year (I'm studying abroad in my third year).
It's not that I feel like I need alcohol to have a good time, but if I will be seriously limited as to what I can do then I might just make my second choice uni (in Canada) my first instead.
If you've experienced anything similar and could share your stories, please do :smile:

Not sure if you've gone by I'm at UT Austin right now and loads of my friends are under 21, you'll be fine! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest