The Student Room Group

First year child nurse -ask away!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
awww.. Thank you so much!! That sounds really interesting!!! I can certainly see that you have a great passion for nursing!!

Thanks a lot again!!!
Original post by nkbarker176
Hey! Well done on your work experience, you've got a varied amount! In terms of experience, I worked as a healthcare assistant before coming to uni, if you're not in full time employment now, that would be an idea. Otherwise, applying to volunteer at a hospital would be good, i'm sure it varies in different trusts but you can become a cuddle buddy for infants, a play volunteer, assist with pat dogs (i can't think what the pat stands for) lol. Any experience you possibly can get will be beneficial, especially when writing your personal statement :smile: x

thanks for your reply! I am currently only 16, I turn 17 next month and apply for uni in October so I can't apply to be a healthcare assistant until I'm 18 :-( however I have looked into this, I will post the link below. let me know what you think. it costs a bomb but my parents are willing to help out :-) x

www.premedprojects.co.uk/apply/february-half-term-2016-hospital-work-experience-in-leeds
Reply 62
Hi! I'm set on applying to MH nursing for 2016 entry and I know you're not in MH but I was sort of thinking you might know a few student MH nurses? I'm definitely going to apply to Southampton but I was just wondering if you know how well the MH nurses are getting on at the university in terms of the teaching and the placements? If you don't, no problem, thanks anyway:smile:
Congratulations on a place at Southampton uni! I am going to be starting the sixth form in September and Southampton is one of the unis that I would love to go to. Did you find that it was difficult to get in to? How much work experience did you have and what a levels did you take? (Sorry if these questions have been asked before)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
Congratulations on a place at Southampton uni! I am going to be starting the sixth form in September and Southampton is one of the unis that I would love to go to. Did you find that it was difficult to get in to? How much work experience did you have and what a levels did you take? (Sorry if these questions have been asked before)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Thankyou :smile:
I think Southampton is quite difficult to get into, i applied straight out of college and didn't get in as had no experience. I then worked as a senior healthcare assistant on a paediatric unit for 3 years which meant i had loads of experience, so applied again and got in no problem! As long as you focus exclusively on your experience, what this has taught you and how this will benefit you on a nursing degree then that's a great start!

In terms of a levels, i did health and social care, biology and psychology. I'm not sure what the grades are now for southampton, as i was never told as i already had my grades...so i can't really answer that one. Xx
Hey! Thankyou :smile:
I think Southampton is quite difficult to get into, i applied straight out of college and didn't get in as had no experience. I then worked as a senior healthcare assistant on a paediatric unit for 3 years which meant i had loads of experience, so applied again and got in no problem! As long as you focus exclusively on your experience, what this has taught you and how this will benefit you on a nursing degree then that's a great start!

In terms of a levels, i did health and social care, biology and psychology. I'm not sure what the grades are now for southampton, as i was never told as i already had my grades...so i can't really answer that one. Xx

The requirements now are BBB-BBA. I've started doing some experience already but none of it is in a hospital environment. Will that be a problem? I'm doing biology and psychology at A level as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elise68
The requirements now are BBB-BBA. I've started doing some experience already but none of it is in a hospital environment. Will that be a problem? I'm doing biology and psychology at A level as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay! What sort of experience are you doing? X
Ahh okay! What sort of experience are you doing? X

I'm going to be doing a 2 weeks activity scheme working 1:1 with children with special needs and I'm trying to get some work experience at a local nursery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Hi I was wondering as part of the child nursing career do you have to deal with the dead bodies? As I really want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with the dead bodies! Thank you xx
Original post by MAP123
Hi I was wondering as part of the child nursing career do you have to deal with the dead bodies? As I really want to do child nursing but I cannot deal with the dead bodies! Thank you xx

In any nursing field you may have to deal with death and dead bodies at some point. But that is your patient and they deserve the respect and care you would give them if they were alive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just wondering where the placements take place at Southampton? Would you normally travel by public transport? Thank you😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,I am currently in year 12 and hoping to study nursing.I just have a couple questions I'd like to ask.
What made you choose to do child nursing over a generic nursing course?
Had you done any work experience before you started if so what,and is it essential?
Thanks!
Hi,

For the maths test is it calculator or non-calculator?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending