The Student Room Group

English at the University of Liverpool

Does anyone study this course? :smile:
I do not, however I am from Liverpool and have lived here most of my life so if you have any questions regarding the city itself then I can help.
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your answer! :smile: Just general questions, how is the city like? Are there cultural-arts events? Would you say it's cheap or expensive?
Gosh I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this! I have no idea if this is still relevant to you so I'm really sorry for the lateness of this reply.
However, I personally love Liverpool, it's my home and I'm born and bred here but I did live in another city for three years so have experienced life outside and consider myself relatively unbiased. Like all cities there are good and bad areas, but the city centre is quite student friendly as are areas outside the city centre such as Wavertree, Kensington and Mossley Hill. The city centre isn't huge but everything is in close proximity such as bars, clubs etc.

in my opinion, Liverpool is very artistically vibrant, in the city centre, we have 5 mainstream theatre's (possibly more and this isn't including the more underground art performance type), various art galleries and museums, such as the Walker, (good selection of classical art in a beautiful neoclassical building), the Tate, Maritime museum, a large Liverpool specific museum (Museum of Liverpool) and, in my opinion our best, the world museum, which has quite a range of exhibits from ancient Egypt (including real mummies!) To space and time and has a small aquarium and bughouse as well as far more.

There is a lot going on in the sense of the biennial art festival, films and performances at the bombed out church (a hollow church structure that's exactly what it says on the tin but has been turned into an alternative entertainment hub), a lot of live bands at good venues, and then a variety of things outside of the city centre to see, such as Speke hall (a Tudor manor that is open to the public), the Liverpool music festival and Africa Oye held at Sefton Park, and of course Beatles tours of their old houses/haunts etc.

Price wise I think Liverpool is a fairly cheap city, I imagine you could get by as a student fairly easily. There are cheap pubs and student specific clubs and nights. Outside of cheaper and student places I'd say price of meals, alcohol etc is about average to that I've seen in other cities?

I hope this was of some use.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lethal Hamster
Gosh I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this! I have no idea if this is still relevant to you so I'm really sorry for the lateness of this reply.
However, I personally love Liverpool, it's my home and I'm born and bred here but I did live in another city for three years so have experienced life outside and consider myself relatively unbiased. Like all cities there are good and bad areas, but the city centre is quite student friendly as are areas outside the city centre such as Wavertree, Kensington and Mossley Hill. The city centre isn't huge but everything is in close proximity such as bars, clubs etc.

in my opinion, Liverpool is very artistically vibrant, in the city centre, we have 5 mainstream theatre's (possibly more and this isn't including the more underground art performance type), various art galleries and museums, such as the Walker, (good selection of classical art in a beautiful neoclassical building), the Tate, Maritime museum, a large Liverpool specific museum (Museum of Liverpool) and, in my opinion our best, the world museum, which has quite a range of exhibits from ancient Egypt (including real mummies!) To space and time and has a small aquarium and bughouse as well as far more.

There is a lot going on in the sense of the biennial art festival, films and performances at the bombed out church (a hollow church structure that's exactly what it says on the tin but has been turned into an alternative entertainment hub), a lot of live bands at good venues, and then a variety of things outside of the city centre to see, such as Speke hall (a Tudor manor that is open to the public), the Liverpool music festival and Africa Oye held at Sefton Park, and of course Beatles tours of their old houses/haunts etc.

Price wise I think Liverpool is a fairly cheap city, I imagine you could get by as a student fairly easily. There are cheap pubs and student specific clubs and nights. Outside of cheaper and student places I'd say price of meals, alcohol etc is about average to that I've seen in other cities?

I hope this was of some use.

Thank you so so much for your reply, it's been very informative and detailed! There's no problem at all, don't worry about taking time to reply :smile:
I have applied to Liverpool University and i dearly hope to get accepted. The city seems fantastic as well, so many things to do, the museum with the ancient Egypt exhibits sounds magical indeed! And of course everything that is art related!
Wow what you wrote about the church is very impressive, i had no idea about that.
Yes, i think it's a bit cheaper than some other cities i've seen. I'm quite excited, from pictures i have seen and with this information the city seems brilliant :h:
Thank you so much for your help! All the best :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending