The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Scott_6969
Are you trying to say people that drink and/or have one night stands are not moral? Why do you think this?

Getting drunk is immoral, as is sleeping around.

Alcohol in and of itself isn't immoral, it depends on the person drinking it; of course drinking is a social activity, however when people drink in order to get off their face (which the majority if youth today do) they are not respecting themselves (their bodies and their worth) nor the people around them. (When people are drunk they may simply be overly merry, however there are some people fight, are sick all over other people's property, require around the clock attention either from their friends or perhaps even in hospital - meaning they are selfishly taking a bed which could be used by someone else in A and E who has not inflicted their injuries upon themselves. - of course these are in extreme cases, but in more moderate ones people swear more often when they're drunk, they could break things etc)

Sleeping around/having one night stands is more often than not a result of the former. A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.

Thus both of them are evidently immoral, the latter more so then the former: however drinking to get drunk usually catalyses such immoral behaviour

Oh what a sad world we live in
Reply 21
Original post by Holmstock
There are plenty of women who with hindsight would say that you have the right idea - have your children first, put your energies into homemaking, when you are young and fit; you can then pursue a career later, by which time you are likely to have a much clearer idea of what you would like to do with your (post kids) life and whether that will need a degree - and you will still have your entitlement to financial support intact. Starting a career and then having to put it on hold is tricky at the best of times.

For instance, I think this year's Bake-Off winner didn't study for her MBA until she was 40.

Thank you very much, not many people say that as they think I'm being immature and stupid but I personally think I'm being the opposite.

That's interesting to hear, I didn't know that but she seems like an excellent mother and wife. Something I wish to be one day.
Original post by Holmstock

For instance, I think this year's Bake-Off winner didn't study for her MBA until she was 40.

You can study for a degree, have kids, work, then go back to University again for another, more impressive degree :biggrin: Cycle of life for the modern woman?
Original post by lmk97
Getting drunk is immoral, as is sleeping around.

Alcohol in and of itself isn't immoral, it depends on the person drinking it; of course drinking is a social activity, however when people drink in order to get off their face (which the majority if youth today do) they are not respecting themselves (their bodies and their worth) nor the people around them. (When people are drunk they may simply be overly merry, however there are some people fight, are sick all over other people's property, require around the clock attention either from their friends or perhaps even in hospital - meaning they are selfishly taking a bed which could be used by someone else in A and E who has not inflicted their injuries upon themselves. - of course these are in extreme cases, but in more moderate ones people swear more often when they're drunk, they could break things etc)

Sleeping around/having one night stands is more often than not a result of the former. A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.

Thus both of them are evidently immoral, the latter more so then the former: however drinking to get drunk usually catalyses such immoral behaviour

Oh what a sad world we live in

while I agree on those who get smashed, while drunk, I think moderately(4-5 beers is ok also is their anything really bad about swearing. I completely disagree about one night stands, if it is contsentual sex I believe it is ok. Especially as it doesn't hurt anyone. Especially If a condom is used.
Reply 24
Original post by Scott_6969
while I agree on those who get smashed, while drunk, I think moderately(4-5 beers is ok also is their anything really bad about swearing. I completely disagree about one night stands, if it is contsentual sex I believe it is ok. Especially as it doesn't hurt anyone. Especially If a condom is used.

Yes there is, swearing is disrespectful,

It's impossible for one night stands to not hurt anyone, 'no strings attached' is a fallacy. By its nature, sex is a unitive act. To deny that, is to deny its nature. It is physically impossible to be any closer to someone than to have sex with them. Condoms merely are a physical barrier, they fail to shield a person's attachments, feelings etc.

If something is consensual it means that the decision made by both parties is absolutely free, in other words the decision made is not blurred, I.e. They have used their reason to make it. They have considered the physical consequences as well as the emotional ones . Thus if it is tainted either by alcohol, by drugs, by having sex in order to get over his/her ex, by lust, etc, it is not a free choice. Thus it is not truly consensual.
Any one who truly and freely using their reason can see that a one night stand is
A) an act of absolute disrespect and dishonour
>>> to themselves, the other person involved
B) an absolute perversion of what the conjugal act is intended to be (unitive and procreative)
C) highly irresponsible
D) founded solely on lust
Original post by lmk97

...A One night stand is an absolute abuse, it abuses both purposes of sex (procreation and bonding in a relationship) whilst it simultaneously has devastating consequences on both parties: Pregnancy in a unstable and usually non existent relationship, STDs, long term psychological effects, emotional attachment issues.

Original post by lmk97

It's impossible for one night stands to not hurt anyone, 'no strings attached' is a fallacy. By its nature, sex is a unitive act. To deny that, is to deny its nature. It is physically impossible to be any closer to someone than to have sex with them. Condoms merely are a physical barrier, they fail to shield a person's attachments, feelings etc.

If something is consensual it means that the decision made by both parties is absolutely free, in other words the decision made is not blurred, I.e. They have used their reason to make it. They have considered the physical consequences as well as the emotional ones . Thus if it is tainted either by alcohol, by drugs, by having sex in order to get over his/her ex, by lust, etc, it is not a free choice. Thus it is not truly consensual.
Any one who truly and freely using their reason can see that a one night stand is
A) an act of absolute disrespect and dishonour
>>> to themselves, the other person involved
B) an absolute perversion of what the conjugal act is intended to be (unitive and procreative)
C) highly irresponsible
D) founded solely on lust

Your arrogance is breathtaking and matched only by your lack of reason.

You state that sex has only two purposes, procreation and bonding within a relationship. This view, presumably handed down to you by your religion, is simply not true. Through the ages, sex has never been solely for those two purposes, therefore undermining your argument. For example, it can be out of affection or, perhaps more commonly, simply for the pure physical joy it brings.

As for stating that anyone who has a one night stand is simply a lustful pervert (see A-D above) you are insulting millions of decent people.

I am rather glad that you have decided not to go to university; you are clearly not ready to benefit. Perhaps this thread should be closed and if you wish to argue your case about morals, then perhaps you should do it elsewhere?
Original post by ageshallnot
Your arrogance is breathtaking and matched only by your lack of reason.

You state that sex has only two purposes, procreation and bonding within a relationship. This view, presumably handed down to you by your religion, is simply not true. Through the ages, sex has never been solely for those two purposes, therefore undermining your argument. For example, it can be out of affection or, perhaps more commonly, simply for the pure physical joy it brings.

As for stating that anyone who has a one night stand is simply a lustful pervert (see A-D above) you are insulting millions of decent people.

I am rather glad that you have decided not to go to university; you are clearly not ready to benefit. Perhaps this thread should be closed and if you wish to argue your case about morals, then perhaps you should do it elsewhere?

Well said
Original post by lmk97
So, last week I applied to university through UCAS for 'Spanish and ab initio Italian.' At:
The University of Birmingham
The University of Bath
The University of Leeds
The University of Warwick
The University of York
However, I don't want to go and I never did - I applied solely as a formality (my school push us too much to apply and I didn't want to have to explain myself to them.) I deferred the year anyway incase for some miraculous reason I end up deciding to go (which isn't going to happen) but my question is,
where do I go from here? When is the best time to decline/reject my offers or place?
The plan is to work (I have a part time job doing about 16 hours a week already and they're always looking for staff who can work the awkward shifts). I then wish to get married and once I'm married and pregnant not work, so that I can be a housewife & homeschool my children. That is my dream and is all I want to do; I am sick of hearing from my school that I'm 'too good' to 'waste myself' by not going to university.
I am well-aware that going and then not working would mean that I wouldn't have to pay back my tuition and that it could broaden my knowledge and make me more intellectually 'superior'. However, the main reason I do not want to go is due to the university lifestyle. The fact that promiscuity and drunkedness is glamorised and in fact normalised into everyday life is beyond me. Yes, there's the option of living at home, but that would mean travelling for over 2 hours a day and is something I think is pointless seen as though I just don't want to go.

Anyway, how should I go about rejecting my place, should I wait until results day or because I am 'deferring' would that mean I would have to do so the following year.

After all, the fact that every career aims to support the homemaker means that it must be the best career

Looking at advice on TSR because I am also apprehensive but seriously ur mentality abt uni is almost exactly the same as mine (except that I'm a man). Well said. My issue with my school is that although they give gr8 support for uni, I think that schools should help students and teach more about alternative pathways in life, not just uni. Because for certain careers, like computer science (highly undermined given especially the growing prospects in this field), degrees are not as important as in medicine. Ppl got far in CompSci without a degree.
Original post by def Student():
Looking at advice on TSR because I am also apprehensive but seriously ur mentality abt uni is almost exactly the same as mine (except that I'm a man). Well said. My issue with my school is that although they give gr8 support for uni, I think that schools should help students and teach more about alternative pathways in life, not just uni. Because for certain careers, like computer science (highly undermined given especially the growing prospects in this field), degrees are not as important as in medicine. Ppl got far in CompSci without a degree.

Welcome to TSR!

NB. If you are looking for advice it’s best to start a new thread rather than bumping a very old one.
Original post by Admit-One
Welcome to TSR!

NB. If you are looking for advice it’s best to start a new thread rather than bumping a very old one.

ty but i meant that i was looking for advice so i clicked on this to see waht has already been said
Original post by Admit-One
Welcome to TSR!

btw not new. Just made a new acc bc I didn't like my old. Plus preferences changed
Original post by def Student():
ty but i meant that i was looking for advice so i clicked on this to see waht has already been said

As above, please don’t bump old threads. It’s against community rules. You can read the old ones without replying.

Latest