The Student Room Group

Internship interview - how much should I pay for a suit?

Hi all, I have an interview for a summer internship in a few weeks time (BNP Paribas, Global Equities and Commodity Derivatives) and I'm going to have to pick up a suit for it. I was recommended places like Austin Reed, Kooples etc. but their starting prices seem to be around £350+ and I'm unwilling to fork out that amount for an interview for a position I'm statistically unlikely to be offered.

Can anyone offer advice on whether this is a typical amount to pay to look presentable in an important interview or should I be able to get away with buying something a lot cheaper?
I'd go to Marks and Spencer's. That's where my brother's school suits are from and I think they outfit the vast majority of entry-level male suit-wearers.
Reply 2
Original post by JuliusDS92
Hi all, I have an interview for a summer internship in a few weeks time (BNP Paribas, Global Equities and Commodity Derivatives) and I'm going to have to pick up a suit for it. I was recommended places like Austin Reed, Kooples etc. but their starting prices seem to be around £350+ and I'm unwilling to fork out that amount for an interview for a position I'm statistically unlikely to be offered.

Can anyone offer advice on whether this is a typical amount to pay to look presentable in an important interview or should I be able to get away with buying something a lot cheaper?

Go to Moss, you can certainly get a decent suit for £200ish. If you're feeling lucky, go to TK Maxx and have a look - they have some decent designer suits that you can get at bargain prices, but you'll have to hope they have them in your size.

You might not get this job, but chances are you will get one somewhere, so you might as well buy a nice suit for when you get that job, and where it to the interview.
Reply 3
The most important thing about a suit is the fit, a well fitted cheap suit will look a lot better than a expensive ill fitting one. Of course it depends on your body shape, but Next do some decent slim fit suits from around £140. Do your research on the internet on what a good fit should be. Lastly, you want to look smart, but not too flash you're a student, ie. looking better than you're interviewer may impress, but equally could sent some wrong signals.

Best of luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Suitsupply the best ratio quality \ price. They fit well, clean and fresh. No doubts. Around 230 pounds

Marks and Spencer will be fine - its not Private Banking so they will not judge you on your suit!
how to buy a suit

1) it fits
2) as much wool % as possible
3) don't pick a stupid colour or pattern
4) pay as little as possible for the above

Austin Reed do fantastic suits and also usually always have a sale on some suits for a majority of the year, remember a suit is an investment, you're going to wear it more than once and a good suit gives out a good image.

If you really can't afford Austin Reed (Although I really would recommend them, I've had a few jackets and suits from them and they're fantastic quality) then Marks and Spencers would be my next suggestion, or John Lewis' own brand.
Reply 8
Mate just go to mid range shops like ZARA, NEXT or River Island, you can get a really nice full suit for 200 or less, I had some interviews and bought part of my suit from these places and had to buy everything ( including shoes tie and a belt) and it cost me under 200. Also you're a student and only going for summer intern job they dont expect you to be super fancy and in fact in some place like GS they prefer if your slightly unflashy.
Reply 9
Original post by Table dust
how to buy a suit

1) it fits
2) as much wool % as possible
3) don't pick a stupid colour or pattern
4) pay as little as possible for the above

Also I agree with this guy. Go for either blue or grey, browns or earth colours and blacks are not for the occasion.
A classic suit is an investment piece and you should see it that way when you are considering the price.

A sharp suit is so versatile if you look after it then it will do you for interviews, weddings, funerals, black tie affairs etc.

I'll spend £100+ on jeans for everyday - which is thinking about it kind of ridiculous - but they last and fit well.

You get what you pay for (at least to an extent).
Buy a cheaper suit and then go to a tailors and get it adjusted so it fits perfectly. It makes an average suit look amazing.
Buying your first suit, don't pay a lot for it (<£200 all in): you don't know what you're doing. Go to somewhere like Debenhams, M&S, John Lewis (classic middle class havens). Don't get something from a place like Zara or any "young" persons shop - those suits always look too small and made from strange material with odd patterns.

When you buy a suit - just get an all purpose business suit. That means navy blue or charcoal grey. Buy a white shirt (ideally a slim/tailored fit - and a sensible collar [cutaways are in fashion nowadays] and a solid colour tie, can't go wrong with blue/red.

When you are trying on a suit remember to carry your wallet/phone is your pockets. These can have a surprising impact on how the suit sits on your body - it can particularly affect the collar of your shirt.

Most suits you can buy off the rail are too long in the arm. This is because producers know you can take some length off, and because people are less likely to notice if the suit is too long in the arm, rather than too short. So keep in mind that you can, and often should, have the arms adjusted at a tailor (it is a cheap and easy job, but it makes quite a difference - be careful buying suits with buttons at the bottom of the arm, it makes them harder and more expensive to adjust).

If you find a suit you like, make sure you buy a second pair of trousers that go with the jacket. This will save you money, because you won't need to buy another suit. It will also mean you need to dry clean your suit less often (the jacket rarely needs dry cleaning, but the trousers do).

Also, if you end up buying a suit, a shirt, a tie, extra trousers, don't hesitate to negotiate a discount.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Classical Liberal
Buying your first suit, don't pay a lot for it (<£200 all in): you don't know what you're doing. Go to somewhere like Debenhams, M&S, John Lewis (classic middle class havens). Don't get something from a place like Zara or any "young" persons shop - those suits always look too small and made from strange material with odd patterns.

When you buy a suit - just get an all purpose business suit. That means navy blue or charcoal grey. Buy a white shirt (ideally a slim/tailored fit - and a sensible collar [cutaways are in fashion nowadays] and a solid colour tie, can't go wrong with blue/red.

When you are trying on a suit remember to carry your wallet/phone is your pockets. These can have a surprising impact on how the suit sits on your body - it can particularly affect the collar of your shirt.

Most suits you can buy off the rail are too long in the arm. This is because producers know you can take some length off, and because people are less likely to notice if the suit is too long in the arm, rather than too short. So keep in mind that you can, and often should, have the arms adjusted at a tailor (it is a cheap and easy job, but it makes quite a difference - be careful buying suits with buttons at the bottom of the arm, it makes them harder and more expensive to adjust).

If you find a suit you like, make sure you buy a second pair of trousers that go with the jacket. This will save you money, because you won't need to buy another suit. It will also mean you need to dry clean your suit less often (the jacket rarely needs dry cleaning, but the trousers do).

Also, if you end up buying a suit, a shirt, a tie, extra trousers, don't hesitate to negotiate a discount.

wow, for once actually sensible advice on this forum!
Original post by MAINE.
wow, for once actually sensible advice on this forum!

And somebody being nice to somebody else :lol:
TM Lewin have a sale on at the moment, all suits <£200. I bought a few there this week - very happy with the selection and service I received.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The most important aspect to a suit is its fit, not price or brand. Nobody will know if you're wearing a £500 pound suit unless you start telling them. Buy a M&S suit that fits well off the rack, then bring it to a tailor to have it altered for you where necessary. Decent value and will fit better than any £400-500 suit you don't get tailored to fit you.
I bought a £100 from Marks and Spencers, had my interview yesterday and was informed today I'd got the position! Thanks for all the help everyone! :smile:
Reply 18

You don't be judged on your suit for a summer internship, so you could buy something cheap.
But don't just get something for the interview, when you get an offer, it'll also be something you'd wear to work and then you'll want soemthing nicer. Go for TM Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt. They're not the best quality, but pretty cheap. Would take that over any of the department stores. Better service and advice too.

I bought a £100 from Marks and Spencers, had my interview yesterday and was informed today I'd got the position! Thanks for all the help everyone! :smile:
Congratulations. Now you'll have to invest in a few more suits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending