The Student Room Group

Mock Exam question help (R&J + OMAM)

I have to answer these questions:

Who is the more interesting character and why? Either Romeo or Mercutio?

I will answer Mercutio as his death is a catalyst and blah...

I just need some good quotes which proves this and backs it up

The other question is:

How is Curley's wife and another character prejudiced in the novel?

My answer being Crooks as the other character, but again I need quotes to back this up and help me

Thanks
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
You could talk about the idea of how the men view Curleys wife in a negative light, and even Steinbeck presents her as a bit of troublemaker ... Isn't there a quote about her coming in with bright red lips or something? (I did OMAM lat year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Curleys wife is seen like an object because she has no name and is also seen as flirtous and a lonely women who wants attention.
Reply 4
Yeah, building on what German123 said, you could argue that she's a victim of prejudice as the name 'Curley's wife' presents her as a mere possession of Curley - which is how women in society at the time were viewed. In terms of Crooks I seem to remember a quote about how the boss let him join in a Christmas party and how the other men used him for entertainment - I think Candy says that somewhere near the beginning.
Original post by Zeixn

How is Curley's wife and another character prejudiced in the novel?

My answer being Crooks as the other character, but again I need quotes to back this up and help me

Thanks

Curley's wife is repeatedly labelled with derogatory terms, such as 'tart', 'bitch' and 'jail bird'. Here, you can talk about the oxymoronic nature of 'jail-bird', by comparing the juxtaposition between the confined, trapped nature of 'jail' and free, expressive connotations of 'bird'. You can link this to the 'ostrich feathers' she wears: ostriches are birds that cannot fly, almost suggesting that she is unable to achieve her materialistic American dreams. Through the consistent repetition of these terms, the readers also associate her with these terms, which you can link to prejudice.

Also, perhaps also talk about how we link her 'red' and closing out of sunlight to her foreboding presence, yet don't acknowledge that perhaps it is her who is in danger, rather than her who is bringing the danger: maybe it's actually how she gets 'awful[ly] lonely' that is dangerous. Link this to the fact that women in 1930's America were still quite emancipated after the roaring twenties, yet she isn't. Obviously, this is prejudice, as Steinbeck perhaps seems to be lambasting the tyranny of men on women in 1930's America, and their subordination, and how we as readers sympathise with Lennie, rather than Curley's wife.

Crooks' room has lots of good things you can pick out: his possessions which contrast with the plosives used in their description. Again, why are such brutal sounds used when describing Crooks' possessions?

There are some things for you to ponder about. You might not agree with some of my interpretations, but at least it gives you something to challenge in your essay :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending