The Student Room Group

Are you Politically Correct?

Poll

Are you Politically Correct? (and to what extent)

I think these poll options cover it, but am interested in all thoughts on the subject.

Scroll to see replies

Among trusted allies I will say whatever, I mean I'm not exactly going to go on a rant about how awful Islam is infront of friends who happen to be Muslim
I always express my views openly unless I'm in a situation where I might be quickly misunderstood
e.g. I openly criticise multiculturalism, religion, feminism etc to people I know, not to people who I won't have time to establish explanations with
I'm not going to stifle the truth just to jump through an invisible hoop. Others can and do, good dogs.
Mix of the middle two options for me :colondollar:
I wouldn't say so, but I think a lot of people use political correctness as a kind of scapegoat to hide the fact that they're very unpleasant. A lot of people claim that they've victims of political correctness when in actual fact they're either wrong or unnecessarily offensive.
Hmm . . . Sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
No, and any bleeding-heart liberal who gets offended can post me their tears so I can put them on the mantepiece as a mark of achievement.
I realise it is very much in vogue to claim that you are not politically correct. However, unless you use the N word to refer to black people or point and laugh at people in wheelchairs or other comparable scenarios, then you are obeying politically correct social norms.
I still don't know what 'political correctness' is? From this, is it the same as being conformist? :redface:
I don't tend to shout about it other than among family but i'm not politically correct. Doing something for the sole purpose of pleasing society rather than yourself is simply weakness.
Original post by karmacrunch
I still don't know what 'political correctness' is? From this, is it the same as being conformist? :redface:

I find it tends to refer to anything the far-right don't like.
Define "political correctness".

Occasionally it gets a bit ridiculous, like people complaining about "offensive" jokes by comedians, or the extreme feminists who wanted to ban "lad's mags", etc. But incidents like that are very rare and often exaggerated.

A lot of people, when referring to "political correctness" actually mean something which is just basic good manners. Not calling gay people derogatory names, not using the N word to describe black people, etc.

I find a lot of racists and bigots use "PC gone mad" to refer to people criticising their views.
Original post by The Socktor

It's just a bogeyman of the right, or even just a snarl word. To the extent that it means anything as a concept, it actually applies far better to what Jon Snow called "poppy fascism", or the total public sycophancy to the military more generally. Many of the things that the righties claim as 'political correctness' are in reality things people say pretty regularly (and in the case of immigration, never shut up about).
Part of my job involves being part of an Equality and Diversity committee. So I guess some would say I am very politically correct.

I think political correctness has a place. For example, I think that it is great that the language used to describe disabled people (or differently abled person :wink: ) has changed over the years.

However, sometimes people seem to get the wrong end of the stick. It is coming to that time of the year now where you will get stories of Christmas being banned in some town somewhere. What will soon become clear is that Christmas wasn't actually banned - there was just some other change. That story will rub of on people though - an example: Each individual department at my work will be having their own Christmas party. The whole organisation will also have a joint event which is deliberately not a Christmas party but a 'Years end' party. This is for a few reasons - but certainly not because Christmas is banned.

Despite this point being made clear, I still hear people in the office saying things like: "Of course, they won't call it a Christmas Party - you just can't nowadays can you?". And all of a sudden political correctness is blamed for something which isn't even a thing...
(edited 9 years ago)
Why should I have to pander to liberals and the weak minded just because they would get "offended" [by which I mean will cry if anything goes against their idealistic view of the universe knowing that society as a whole wouldn't dare let them keep crying] by other people's opinions and/or cold hard truths?
Original post by The Socktor

LMFAO you're exactly .......... right. :biggrin:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Why should I have to pander to liberals and the weak minded just because they would get "offended" [by which I mean will cry if anything goes against their idealistic view of the universe knowing that society as a whole wouldn't dare let them keep crying] by other people's opinions and/or cold hard truths?

Such is the view of the ******* that thinks that "I HAEV THE FREEDUMS OF SPEECH AND I CAN THEREFORE CRITICIZE ANYTHIGN I WANT AND IF PPL GET OFFENDED ITS THEIR FAULT FOR BEING PUSSIES"

Well. I mean.

Political correctness for me = niceness. I'm not saying I will fly out on a rage if you make a racist joke or misgender someone, I'm just saying being NICE and not an ******* means that you should consider other people's feelings once in a while. And sometimes when others don't want to hear your racist, pretentious snobbiness that makes you seem like you think you're better than everyone else, mayyyyybe you should pipe down.

Sure you can be an *******. You can do whatever you want. This is AMERICUH. But you're a human in civilized society, so at least try to act like one.
Britain is THE Big Brother state. I think everyone is politically correct here, except the lunatics.
Original post by budgerigar42
Such is the view of the ******* that thinks that "I HAEV THE FREEDUMS OF SPEECH AND I CAN THEREFORE CRITICIZE ANYTHIGN I WANT AND IF PPL GET OFFENDED ITS THEIR FAULT FOR BEING PUSSIES"

Well. I mean.

Political correctness for me = niceness. I'm not saying I will fly out on a rage if you make a racist joke or misgender someone, I'm just saying being NICE and not an ******* means that you should consider other people's feelings once in a while. And sometimes when others don't want to hear your racist, pretentious snobbiness that makes you seem like you think you're better than everyone else, mayyyyybe you should pipe down.

Sure you can be an *******. You can do whatever you want. This is AMERICUH. But you're a human in civilized society, so at least try to act like one.

I put "niceness" (prefer to think of it as respect) and political correctness in two separate categories, maybe with a slight overlap; I also clump into political correctness when you have liberals (and other groups) shouting about how they're "offended" for BS reasons

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending