The Student Room Group

BNP link to explosives charges

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2394446,00.html

Two men linked to the British National party have been charged with possessing chemical explosives after raids on their homes in Lancashire. Robert Cottage, 49, of Colne, and David Jackson, a dentist, of Nelson, have been charged with possession of an explosive substance for an unlawful purpose. Both were remanded in custody.

And that's pretty much it from the national press.
What level of coverage wold this have if the men had been or 'looked' muslim?

http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/display.var.951775.0.exbnp_man_faces_explosives_charge.php

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Scheherazade
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2394446,00.html

Two men linked to the British National party have been charged with possessing chemical explosives after raids on their homes in Lancashire. Robert Cottage, 49, of Colne, and David Jackson, a dentist, of Nelson, have been charged with possession of an explosive substance for an unlawful purpose. Both were remanded in custody.

http://www.burnleycitizen.co.uk/display.var.951775.0.exbnp_man_faces_explosives_charge.php

We'd probably have had more coverage but that's hardly surprizing since muslims have a more recent history of terrorist attacks and plots in the UK than non muslims.
Well maybe this should be treated the same as if they were muslims, and we should look into "why they would want to blow things up?". Maybe "they are the victims", blah blah.
gas_panic!
Well maybe this should be treated the same as if they were muslims, and we should look into "why they would want to blow things up?". Maybe "they are the victims", blah blah.

Jesus Christ
Reply 4
"BNP link to explosive charges" That all sounds very dramatic but might I ask if the BNP endorsed or were aware of what these two naughty people were up to? Because, if the answer is "no" then the thread title might just as well read "Dentist link to explosive charges"
Conversely, does the Ummah at large endorse the 7/7 bombers? Nup.
Reply 6
"BNP link to explosive charges" That all sounds very dramatic but might I ask if the BNP endorsed or were aware of what these two naughty people were up to? Because, if the answer is "no" then the thread title might just as well read "Dentist link to explosive charges"

Obviously these two people are not representative of the BNP party as a whole, but we all know there is one group of the population all BNP members hate i.e foreigners, so that is why the BNP was included in the headline; these two men were presumably planning an attack on some immigrant group. This is not the same as dentists, as there is no obvious group of the population dentists would want to blow up; people with bad breath or something?
Reply 7
Galatea
Obviously these two people are not representative of the BNP party as a whole, but we all know there is one group of the population all BNP members hate i.e foreigners, so that is why the BNP was included in the headline; these two men were presumably planning an attack on some immigrant group. This is not the same as dentists, as there is no obvious group of the population dentists would want to blow up; people with bad breath or something?

Quite. People with halitosis should definately be exterminated.
Racist nutters with bombs should be watched so we don't end up with another nail bomber.
Reply 9
Howard

I'd like to step in and say that the title comes from the Times NOT me.

I don't really like the BNP, but I don't think they're all (would-be) murderers either.
Scheherazade

well as far as i know the BNP havent detonated explosives on london busses

Howard

well said
Point of interest: stormfront have this story in a thread called 'Ex-BNP member converts to Islam?'

I knew there was a reason I stopped frequenting that message-board. And this one.
Cadre_Of_Storms

And that entitles them to less media exposure/condemnation ?
Cadre_Of_Storms

The point isn't that they're (ex-)BNP, it's that they're as dangerous as anyone in possesion of explosives.
Reply 14
Agent Smith
Conversely, does the Ummah at large endorse the 7/7 bombers? Nup.

However most muslims seem to support islamic terrorists to some extent.... making excuses... blaming others... blaming israel... blaming cartoons... blaming the pope... blaming george bush.... anything but blaming the terrorists seems acceptable
samba
However most muslims seem to support islamic terrorists to some extent.... making excuses... blaming others... blaming israel... blaming cartoons... blaming the pope... blaming george bush.... anything but blaming the terrorists seems acceptable

http://amadeo.blog.com/repository/75948/238284.p.jpg

:rolleyes:
Reply 16

yes, MANY people are against it, but many more think its "deserved" and tend to blame the rest of the world for it.

How many times have you claimed that Islamic terrorism is the fault of Israel for example?
samba
yes, MANY people are against it, but many more think its "deserved" and tend to blame the rest of the world for it.

Evidence ? You talking about British muslims or muslims elsewhere ?

How many times have you claimed that Islamic terrorism is the fault of Israel for example?

I have never. Besides how can Israel carry out Islamic terrorism ? :confused:
I am sure he has met all 1 billion of them to get their opinions and then analysed the info to come to his conclusion.
Reply 19
Scheherazade

Certain groups want to tie the BNP and Muslims up together in a tidy bag called "extremists". The only historical link connecting the BNP and bombs was the David Copeland thing and he wasn't a BNP member he was an NSM member. If patriots are the enemies of the government who is the government?

Latest

Trending

Trending