The Student Room Group

pure maths- basic proof?

If we have 3 infinite sets- set A is the set of multiples of 2, set B is the set of multiples of 3, set C is the set of multiples of 6. How do I go about proving that the intersection of set A and B is equivalent to set C? Sorry about the way this is written, I'm on my phone in a long car journey but don't know how to go about this proof!
Reply 1
Original post by lmorgan95
If we have 3 infinite sets- set A is the set of multiples of 2, set B is the set of multiples of 3, set C is the set of multiples of 6. How do I go about proving that the intersection of set A and B is equivalent to set C? Sorry about the way this is written, I'm on my phone in a long car journey but don't know how to go about this proof!

The usual method of tackling something like this is to lay out the proof in both directions:

Show that if x is an element of A n B then x is an element of C

Show that if x is an element of C then x is an element of A n B.

This shows that the 2 sets must be the same.
Reply 2
Original post by arslany
Let x be an element of the set A n B. .

Please don't post full solutions - it's against forum rules :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by davros
The usual method of tackling something like this is to lay out the proof in both directions:

Show that if x is an element of A n B then x is an element of C

Show that if x is an element of C then x is an element of A n B.

This shows that the 2 sets must be the same.

I'm just not really sure how to... prove stuff. I get that I can say "suppose x is an element of AnB" and then it must therefore be an element in both sets A and B, then I guess I should maybe try and write it in a form where it is therefore the same as C but I really have no idea how and haven't seen enough proofs before to know what steps I can and can't make D=
Reply 4
I'm just not really sure how to... prove stuff. I get that I can say "suppose x is an element of AnB" and then it must therefore be an element in both sets A and B, then I guess I should maybe try and write it in a form where it is therefore the same as C but I really have no idea how and haven't seen enough proofs before to know what steps I can and can't make D=

Well, if a number x is a multiple of 6 then we can write x = 6m, where m is an integer.
If a number is a multiple of 2 we can write x = 2n where n is an integer.
If a number is a multiple of 3 we can write x = 3p where p is an integer.

Can you see how to deduce the 2nd and 3rd statements from the first one?

Ignore this post until you've solved the problem, and also ignore it if you've never worked with ideals of rings. It won't do as an answer to the question, probably, because it uses enough theory that it's probably cheating. It's just for background if you've covered the relevant stuff, and it's useless if you haven't.

The question asks you to show that the intersection of the ideals (3)(3) and (2)(2) is the ideal (6)(6) in Z\mathbb{Z}. Certainly it is an ideal, because the intersection of ideals is. Certainly it contains (6)(6), because it lies in (3)(3) and (2)(2). It does not contain either 33 or 22, and it clearly doesn't contain 1, 4 or 5. Since Z\mathbb{Z} is a principal ideal domain, in which all ideals are generated by their least positive element, it must be the ideal (6)(6), as required.
Reply 6
Original post by davros
Well, if a number x is a multiple of 6 then we can write x = 6m, where m is an integer.
If a number is a multiple of 2 we can write x = 2n where n is an integer.
If a number is a multiple of 3 we can write x = 3p where p is an integer.

Can you see how to deduce the 2nd and 3rd statements from the first one?

We can rewrite 6m=2(3m)=2(3p)
And also 6m=3(2m)=3(2n)
And so we can write the multiples of 6 in the form of multiples of 3 and of 2.
Then you can write the multiples of 2 and 3 as x=2(3z)=3(2z) where z is an integer, which is x=6z=6m so it can be written in the form of multiples of 6, so the intersection of the sets of multiples of 3 and 2 is equal to the set of multiples of 6?
Hopefully that looks a bit better! If it's right are there any quicker or better ways of saying it?
Reply 7
Original post by Smaug123
Ignore this post until you've solved the problem, and also ignore it if you've never worked with ideals of rings. It won't do as an answer to the question, probably, because it uses enough theory that it's probably cheating. It's just for background if you've covered the relevant stuff, and it's useless if you haven't.

The question asks you to show that the intersection of the ideals (3)(3) and (2)(2) is the ideal (6)(6) in Z\mathbb{Z}. Certainly it is an ideal, because the intersection of ideals is. Certainly it contains (6)(6), because it lies in (3)(3) and (2)(2). It does not contain either 33 or 22, and it clearly doesn't contain 1, 4 or 5. Since Z\mathbb{Z} is a principal ideal domain, in which all ideals are generated by their least positive element, it must be the ideal (6)(6), as required.

Youre right, I haven't seen that before :tongue: I had a go at the proof though- I'm not really sure if I did it properly, but it looks okay to me- mind taking a look?
Youre right, I haven't seen that before :tongue: I had a go at the proof though- I'm not really sure if I did it properly, but it looks okay to me- mind taking a look?

I think it looks fine.

More succinctly: "If x is in the intersection, then it is a multiple of 2 and of 3, so it is a multiple of 6. Conversely, if x is a multiple of 6, say x=6k; then it is a multiple of 2, being 2(3k) and also of 3, being 3(2k), so it lies in the intersection of the two sets."

Quick Reply

Latest