The Student Room Group

Advice for dropping a subject :(

So for A2 I'm currently taking Maths (A at AS) English (A) Physics (B) and Chemistry (C). My plans last year kind of went to **** when I got the C in chemistry because I wanted to go into chemical engineering. I was stuck because I didn't want to give it up but equally I knew I'd get better grades in the other subjects so my general plan was to take all 4 at A2 and apply this year for mechanical engineering, then decline the places if I manage to get the chem grade up, then take a gap year and apply for chemistry. But a few months in and I can't handle the workload, and I don't know what to do. I love chemistry but realistically I can't get it up beyond a B, and I feel like I should drop it and just head towards mech engineering. I don't know :frown: I feel like if I dropped physics I could work ridiculously hard and maybe swing an A at chem with a retake but tbh it's a huge risk and I have no idea what to do. To maintain my grades I feel like I need to drop a subject, and ideally it would be english because its not related to my course, but its a high A so... :frown: Any advice? Its basically a case of logic vs want. I want to go into chemistry, but it's not the most logical course of action I think :frown:
If you want to go into ChemEng, drop English and use your extra time to revise for Chemistry retakes (if you are doing any) to boost that grade.
Original post by moinoi
So for A2 I'm currently taking Maths (A at AS) English (A) Physics (B) and Chemistry (C). My plans last year kind of went to **** when I got the C in chemistry because I wanted to go into chemical engineering. I was stuck because I didn't want to give it up but equally I knew I'd get better grades in the other subjects so my general plan was to take all 4 at A2 and apply this year for mechanical engineering, then decline the places if I manage to get the chem grade up, then take a gap year and apply for chemistry. But a few months in and I can't handle the workload, and I don't know what to do. I love chemistry but realistically I can't get it up beyond a B, and I feel like I should drop it and just head towards mech engineering. I don't know :frown: I feel like if I dropped physics I could work ridiculously hard and maybe swing an A at chem with a retake but tbh it's a huge risk and I have no idea what to do. To maintain my grades I feel like I need to drop a subject, and ideally it would be english because its not related to my course, but its a high A so... :frown: Any advice? Its basically a case of logic vs want. I want to go into chemistry, but it's not the most logical course of action I think :frown:

Sounds like you are really into chemical engineering, and you know what, if you are into it and u really love chemistry I am sure you will succeed!! 100% All you need is to input a bit of hard work and try again. So I think it will be good if you drop English and focus hard on the other 3 subjects. What happens if you drop a subject which you really enjoy is that later you will feel very bad, this happened to me :frown: I wanted to take geography as AS but I ended up taking chemistry, biology, physics and maths I feel stupid not taking geography one of my best and favourite subject. I wish you all the best of luck!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest