The Student Room Group

Postgraduate program International Relations

Hej guys,
I am an undergrad majoring in International Relations and Diplomatic Affairs this july. I decided I want to stick to IR related fields so I started to look for suitable posgrad programs. I am still looking for other programs but so far I found those interesting :

- Aberystwysth University - Strategic Studies
- ST Andrews - International Security Studies
- KCL - International Peace and Security
- IHEI Geneve - International affairs
- University of Helsinki - Democracy and Global Transformations
- Stockholm University - Political Science

What do you think about those, keeping in mind the chance of future career development they give you? Thanks

I d like to add that sadly I left out US unis which are way out of my budget and LSE
Reply 1
What areas within IR are you interested in? Each uni has its strength and your list is well chosen. Do you prefer 1 or 2 year format? your career development depends on relevant experience and skills.

Transparency and governance

Civil Rights and Social Action

Disaster and Humanitarian Relief

Economic Growth

IPE

IR Theory (Constructivism)

Development

IOs

Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! So..until now I ve been focusing mainly in International Development and Cooperation. The internships I attended were strictly related to this area too : Cooperation and International development Department at the regional administration body, Italian ministry of foreign affairs (cooperation dep).
During the master I would like to focus more on conflict resolution and peacebuilding related themes.

I don t really mind if it s a 2 years or 1 year format.

I was counting mainly on my "strong" internship experience, which here in Italy few undergrads have (in IR fields) but as far as I saw during my exchange program it is pretty common abroad and I am kinda weak in Economics related subjects (as Micro/Macroec and Statistic...I think I got the equivalent of a C/C+ in all of them).
Reply 3
It is excellent to have some prior internships in relevant organisations. This will enhance your profile and IntDEV is def IR topic.

Academically, UK Master's require at least a Upper Second 2.1 (it means 61% plus in your total grade).

I am not too hot on King's (KCL) and St Andrews for conflict resolution and peacebuilding related themes. Kcl is best known for War/Security Studies and St Andrews tends to be well positioned in Security, Terrorism with Russian and Middle East Area Studies. For undergrad BA requirement, St Andrews is ranked higher and requires better grades.

Aberystwysth is a good choice, strong and established IR with a research focus on conflict resolution and peacebuilding and International Politics. Good balance of theory and analytical methods. It puts theory into practice. For your specific fit, I think the Aberystwysth course is the more suitable of your 3 UK unis. Admittedly the parent uni Aberystwysth is internationally less known compared to KCL and St Andrews. I heard that Manchester Uni has a MA in Peacebuilding.

IHEID is a great choice and there is a peacekeeping track. Very solid IR programme with internship opps in IOs. Mostly English taught, but a few courses are offered in French.

I am not too familiar with the Nordic programmes, but I heard from Nordic students that Stockholm is strong in Human Rights & Peace Studies. They told me that Linnaus Uni has a practical MA in Peace and Development Studies.

Good luck
Reply 4
As I said I was actually really interested in Aberystwyth but what made me doubt was the international reputation. You know in terms of future career the prestige counts a lot, at least as first impression.
Also in Uk masters are mainly 1 year format?Cause now that I m thinking about it a 2years one could be better in term of focusing on the are, or not?

I think I ll apply to IHEID as well.

Yes I knew about Stockholm Uni and Linnaeus, I m pretty interested in the first but I didn t look into the second if i ve to be sincere, I ll do sit.

Do you know something about McGill uni in this field?
Thanks!

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry, I know nothing about Canadian unis.
Reply 6
Original post by NicolaUmea
As I said I was actually really interested in Aberystwyth but what made me doubt was the international reputation. You know in terms of future career the prestige counts a lot, at least as first impression.
Also in Uk masters are mainly 1 year format?Cause now that I m thinking about it a 2years one could be better in term of focusing on the are, or not?

I think I ll apply to IHEID as well.

Yes I knew about Stockholm Uni and Linnaeus, I m pretty interested in the first but I didn t look into the second if i ve to be sincere, I ll do sit.

Do you know something about McGill uni in this field?
Thanks!

Thanks!

Abersytwyth has an excellent reputation in IR. It had the first ever IR department and continues to be held in very high regard, albeit as with most other uni's it has particular specialties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending