The Student Room Group

Medicine abroad 2015

Hi there,

Background Info: Recently graduated with 1st class honours in BSc. Physiology, currently working as a HCA at a hospital, and have an up coming interview for a Neurophysiologists position. Have been rejected from Medicine for the 3rd time (both grad and undergrad Medicine) always due to not meeting cut off scores in entrance exams (UKCAT and GAMSAT).

Because of this, I am now seriously considering studying Medicine ABROAD as I don't know if I can keep going through the agony of re-applying in the UK and failing these entrance exams. I meet every other criteria: brilliant grades, work experience, clinical experience, life experience, interview skills, interpersonal skills. (I wish I had gotten even one interview in all these years :-(

My questions are:
1. Does it matter which University I pick abroad? As long as its GMC recognised, will I have an issue to get on a foundation course in the UK or later practice here if I went to a less prestigious University abroad? (I know it doesn't matter where you study Medicine in the UK, but I don't know if the same applies abroad).
2. Is Romania or Bulgaria better for Medicine?
3. Any one know a good 4 year programme abroad, which won't cost me an arm and a leg?
4. Will I face racial discrimination in Bulgaria, Romania or Poland? (I am indian asian), I don't want to make an assumptions or judgement about another country, but I have to ask because I don't want to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome in another place, that I might possibly call home for 6 years.

I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me :-) I have been in this struggle for 5 years but I still can't give up on this dream. Thank you in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Serenity1
Hi there,

Background Info: Recently graduated with 1st class honours in BSc. Physiology, currently working as a HCA at a hospital, and have an up coming interview for a Neurophysiologists position. Have been rejected from Medicine for the 3rd time (both grad and undergrad Medicine) always due to not meeting cut off scores in entrance exams (UKCAT and GAMSAT).

Because of this, I am now seriously considering studying Medicine ABROAD as I don't know if I can keep going through the agony of re-applying in the UK and failing these entrance exams. I meet every other criteria: brilliant grades, work experience, clinical experience, life experience, interview skills, interpersonal skills. (I wish I had gotten even one interview in all these years :-(

My questions are:
1. Does it matter which University I pick abroad? As long as its GMC recognised, will I have an issue to get on a foundation course in the UK or later practice here if I went to a less prestigious University abroad? (I know it doesn't matter where you study Medicine in the UK, but I don't know if the same applies abroad).
3. Any one know a good 4 year programme abroad, which won't cost me an arm and a leg?
4. Will I face racial discrimination in Bulgaria, Romania or Poland? (I am indian asian), I don't want to make an assumptions or judgement about another country, but I have to ask because I don't want to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome in another place, that I might possibly call home for 6 years.

I would really appreciate any information anyone could give me :-) I have been in this struggle for 5 years but I still can't give up on this dream. Thank you in advance!

1- If its GMC recognised then no difference and u dont need to go through these things tht u mentioned above..
2- Since Im studyin in Bulgaria, i will say " Bg " / you better to find someone from Romania to talk about it too..
3- 4 year program ?
4- Here in BG, no way to face with such things. Since there are many students from India, Africa, Japan, Arabia etc... So far i havent heard any thing about face racial discrimination.. ( Dont have idea for Romania and Poland. )
Reply 2
Dear drbluemax,
Thank you for the answers to 1, 2 and 4!
For 3, I meant I'm already a graduate so I was wondering if anyone knew a graduate 4 year accelerated programme for medicine.

How are you finding Studying Medicine in Bulgaria?
How long is your holiday period?

I'm thinking of applying to Plovdiv and Sofia MU. Would you be able to give me any advice, thanks again :-)
Aren't there 4 year programs in Poland?
Reply 4
Original post by Okorange
Aren't there 4 year programs in Poland?

Just had a look at the Medical University of Warsaw out of curiosity and the annual fees are 14,400 euros. :eek3:

Edit: Plus they estimate 6000-7000 euros per year on rent and living, and 2000 on books and other miscellaneous expenses. :eek3:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Just had a look at the Medical University of Warsaw out of curiosity and the annual fees are 14,400 euros. :eek3:

Edit: Plus they estimate 6000-7000 euros per year on rent and living, and 2000 on books and other miscellaneous expenses. :eek3:

http://www.medschool.uj.edu.pl/prospective/md-university 12200 euros, i'm not surprised though considering the cost to actually educate a medical student is very very high. At least take comfort its a 4 year degree so you pay less tuition in total and have an extra year of income.

Schools in the US charge up to 70,000 USD or about 45000 pounds for private schools.
Reply 6
I'm a student in Romania, just started my first year; let me tell you the application process is lenghty but if you're short on money it is better to do it yourself than to pay £1200 for an agent to do it.

1. I don't know about the rest of the universities, but in Bucharest, as soon as you graduate you can apply to FY2, so you skin the first foundation year.

2. I don't know which one is better; but Bucharest is great!

3. Nope, sorry. The fees here are 5000 euros a year, now for all the other expenses and to have quite a luxurios life in Bucharest, going out and everything you'd probably need abou £500 a month - including living expenses. Of course at the start you'll need to buy books: general books like Gray's Anatomy, Netter Atlas you can buy on Amazon from here which are bit pricey but not impossible; we also have to buy teacher's books which are at a fraction of the price. (most are £5-£6)

3. Not here, we have a range of Arabs, Thai, Italians, Pakistani, African and South American students.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me.
Reply 7
Hi there,

My questions are:

1. I think that if you go to Romania and Bulgaria all universities will be looked under the same light, the way to distinguish yourself will be your grades.
2. I think it will be the same either way
3. In Romania tuition fees are 5000 euros and if you live outside bucharest you can cut down on living expenses (150 euros for accommodation for a month is how much i pay + £300 for food and other expenses)
4. I am Indian British too, and never had a problem, people are friendly with you and more intrigued about you. They really are not hateful.

I can tell you this all from experience, I am a third year medical student in Romania
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there,

My questions are:

Hi Serenity, Ι am studying in the medical university of Sofia in Bulgaria I am also indian and there are quite a few students here of south asian descent. The tuition fees are 6.500 £. I am happy here. Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
Anyone thinking of applying to palacky university in Czech Republic this year?
Hey, is anyone thinking of applying abroad this year to study medicine?
Reply 11
Original post by Karan.Grov
Hi Serenity, Ι am studying in the medical university of Sofia in Bulgaria I am also indian and there are quite a few students here of south asian descent. The tuition fees are 6.500 £. I am happy here. Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:

Hiya,

Thank you for replying to my message: I was wondering if you knew anything about Trakia University? Or the City of Stara Zagora?

I initially wanted to apply for Sofia but because of the higher living and tuition cost I decided against it.

What is life life in Bulgaria?

Any advice for me? As I may start there in October.

Thank you in advance! :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Itseasy
1. I think that if you go to Romania and Bulgaria all universities will be looked under the same light, the way to distinguish yourself will be your grades.
2. I think it will be the same either way
3. In Romania tuition fees are 5000 euros and if you live outside bucharest you can cut down on living expenses (150 euros for accommodation for a month is how much i pay + £300 for food and other expenses)
4. I am Indian British too, and never had a problem, people are friendly with you and more intrigued about you. They really are not hateful.

I can tell you this all from experience, I am a third year medical student in Romania

Thank you for the information you provided! I really appreciate it :-)
Reply 13
Original post by TheCozma
I'm a student in Romania, just started my first year; let me tell you the application process is lenghty but if you're short on money it is better to do it yourself than to pay £1200 for an agent to do it.

1. I don't know about the rest of the universities, but in Bucharest, as soon as you graduate you can apply to FY2, so you skin the first foundation year.

2. I don't know which one is better; but Bucharest is great!

3. Nope, sorry. The fees here are 5000 euros a year, now for all the other expenses and to have quite a luxurios life in Bucharest, going out and everything you'd probably need abou £500 a month - including living expenses. Of course at the start you'll need to buy books: general books like Gray's Anatomy, Netter Atlas you can buy on Amazon from here which are bit pricey but not impossible; we also have to buy teacher's books which are at a fraction of the price. (most are £5-£6)

3. Not here, we have a range of Arabs, Thai, Italians, Pakistani, African and South American students.

If you need more information, feel free to contact me.

Thank you for all the details about studying in Romania! Much appreciated!
Reply 14
Would anyone be able to give me any information about University of Trakia? And what it's like to live in Bulgaria?

It would be a massive help,

thank you!
Reply 15
Thank you for all the details about studying in Romania! Much appreciated!

Also, I wanted to add that romania does recognise some of the exams you've done. So I don't know how much that means to you, but considering that you've done a degree in a related field, some 1st year/2nd year exams you might have the possibilty of not doing them.

I know someone who did BioMed at St Georges and I think they managed to skip the first year and go straight into the second.
I'm looking at applying to Italy to study medicine, how many universities can i apply to?
Reply 17
I got a degree in biomed. In that case can i Start Medicine from second year?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ak15
I got a degree in biomed. In that case can i Start Medicine from second year?

Most probably u cant
Reply 19
[QUOTE=zahrah_rehman;55519675]Hey, is anyone thinking of applying abroad this year to study medicine?

My son is off to the University of Sarajevo in October - mf.unsa.ba

Latest