The Student Room Group

Boyfriend keep getting drunk

My boyfriend of three years is, let's face it, a functioning alcoholic. He has been drinking about a year into our relationship and it has got worse. He has had problems with getting a divorce from wife, getting children custody etc but he gets stupidly drunk and enough that he tried to drive but I caught him and took his key out of the ignition and said he isn't having them back until the morning and I also threatened him that I was going to tell the police on him. I am thinking of leaving him but deep down I love him and I don't know what to do to make this work. He upsets me by constantly drinking and I feel like leaving him, no matter how hard I try to keep him happy. He said I try to control him when I don't I just don't want him to drive and potentially kill somebody.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by x-Venezia-x
My boyfriend of three years is, let's face it, a functioning alcoholic. He has been drinking about a year into our relationship and it has got worse. He has had problems with getting a divorce from wife, getting children custody etc but he gets stupidly drunk and enough that he tried to drive but I caught him and took his key out of the ignition and said he isn't having them back until the morning and I also threatened him that I was going to tell the police on him. I am thinking of leaving him but deep down I love him and I don't know what to do to make this work. He upsets me by constantly drinking and I feel like leaving him, no matter how hard I try to keep him happy. He said I try to control him when I don't I just don't want him to drive and potentially kill somebody.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you should leave for a few days and let him think about it, a life without you. You are basically the only that is controlling him and keeping order in his life.
It's not up to you to sort his messes out when he's not even willing to make an effort. I think you should leave.

I don't know what you could do to try to help him other than actually calling the police - or maybe talking to his family to try to get them to support him?
Reply 3
Leave. It's not worth it. alcoholics are hard to change - point him in the direction of help but why should you suffer? And he shouldn't be getting custody of his children anyway if he drinks excessively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) Sit down and talk to him.

2) Offer help (emotional support) in regards to his divorce and child custody issues.

3) Talk to his family about this issue and see if they can help you out.

4) Talk to his GP and see whether he/she can help i.e.. Rehab facility.

5) Give him an ultimatum; it's either YOU or the ALCOHOL.
You could try spelling it out to him that you will leave him if he doesn't stop drinking, maybe he is in denial about having a drink problem.

Quick Reply

Latest