Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Morrisseya
OK thanks :smile:

Where do most people move to in London? (I'm guessing they tend to rent houses?)

2nd years rent houses all around London i.e. Tottenham court road, Euston, Holborn.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Original post by Gcseboy1997
But is 'that it'? As in I achieve these marks and I get to transfer into the second year? Is there no possibility of transferring in the first 2 weeks or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I know of. You should email the LSE admissions and the Economics department for conditions of transfer for a definite answer because I'm not entirely sure.
Reply 22
Original post by djm1999
I am currently looking to choose my A-Levels. Is this an acceptable mix for geography with econ/straight econ:

-maths
-geography
-economics
-spanish
-AS FM?

Yes these are good. All are strong subjects. AS FM is very important for straight economics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aj_16
Yes these are good. All are strong subjects. AS FM is very important for straight economics.

Is it true you need A2 FM though? What A-Levels did you study?
Reply 24
Is LSE clique-y? And how expensive is studying in London? Also does everyone want to go into IB?
Original post by Aj_16

Do you plan on going into IB? I'm wondering whether E+EH from LSE is better/ Worse than straight economics from UCL for IB since I have an offer from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you plan on going into IB? I'm wondering whether E+EH from LSE is better/ Worse than straight economics from UCL for IB since I have an offer from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am not going to uni or anything, but both are target universities, guess it is up to you though
Reply 27
I know LSE has a lot international students and so is it very mixed or cliquey?
Do As and A*s at A level make up for bad GCSEs? I only got 1 A* at GCSE :frown: but I'm aiming for A*AA or A*A*A for my A levels and will be applying after having finished my A2s so it won't be just predicted. If I had A*AA at A level would this make up for the bad GCSEs?
Reply 29

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I plan on going into IB. I had an offer to go to UCL for straight economics and an offer for E+EH for LSE and I chose LSE. Either are really good but I chose LSE as I thought it would be right for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Djangoo
I know LSE has a lot international students and so is it very mixed or cliquey?

International students are more likely to make friends with other international students as they both have the same mother tongue and therefore can understand each other more fluently. But there are also mixed groups and there are also many students from the UK. I like the fact that LSE is international as it makes me realise as a home student how lucky I am to be there.
Reply 31
Original post by anonwinner
Do As and A*s at A level make up for bad GCSEs? I only got 1 A* at GCSE :frown: but I'm aiming for A*AA or A*A*A for my A levels and will be applying after having finished my A2s so it won't be just predicted. If I had A*AA at A level would this make up for the bad GCSEs?

Sorry I've edited this because I didn't read the last part.
Yes your situation is completely different because you have your A levels. I would anticipate (but this is only my opinion) that you are in a much stronger position as you have your A levels and therefore you GCSEs will be less of a contributing factor on their decision.
Hope that helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by blvnk
Is LSE clique-y? And how expensive is studying in London? Also does everyone want to go into IB?

Every university has cliquey aspects but with LSE I would say no on a whole. It is expensive in London but there are many cheap shops. For instance LSE has its own café where you can buy chips for 95p and there is a Subway and McDonalds nearby. Thus, if you want to spend less, you can.

Yes the vast majority of people want to go in to IB. But I guess this is expected. People also want to work for the UN, the IMF and the government.
A lot of people also have no idea what they want to do and they believe that the LSE can give them a variety of opportunities.
Reply 33
Is it true that the atmosphere feels incredibly competitive (after you get in!) and cut-throat at LSE?
Also is being at a university where everyone is doing similar courses and has similar aspirations in your opinion a good thing or a bad thing?
What is the best thing and the worst thing about LSE? from what i hear, best thing is the amount of doors LSE opens but the bad thing is lifestyle becomes a bit hectic and costly (tho i assume both can be managed if dealt with properly)

just curious :smile: applied for Accounting and Finance at LSE (A*AAA maths, german further maths and economics)
Reply 35
Original post by tazza ma razza
What is the best thing and the worst thing about LSE? from what i hear, best thing is the amount of doors LSE opens but the bad thing is lifestyle becomes a bit hectic and costly (tho i assume both can be managed if dealt with properly)

just curious :smile: applied for Accounting and Finance at LSE (A*AAA maths, german further maths and economics)

Best thing about being at LSE is the professors you have. They really are the top people in their fields. For example, Lord Stern teaches the LSE100 course and you'll find that many textbooks you use are written by your professors.
Worst thing is workload but if you've come to LSE to do no work there would be an issue there haha. This isn't really a bad thing but if I had to state something it would be this.
Original post by Aj_16
Best thing about being at LSE is the professors you have. They really are the top people in their fields. For example, Lord Stern teaches the LSE100 course and you'll find that many textbooks you use are written by your professors.
Worst thing is workload but if you've come to LSE to do no work there would be an issue there haha. This isn't really a bad thing but if I had to state something it would be this.

Oooohhhh that is pretty cool! Yh applying to LSE, you are expected to work your butt off so that comes to no surprise :smile: My thanks for answering my question :smile:
Original post by Aj_16
As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

1. What are you studying?
2. What were your stats? (Gcse and a level grades)
3. How is the accommodation there?
4. How is the social life? Are people nice? Is it easy to make friends?
5. How are the teachers/professors there?

Thank you so much! I'm thinking of applying to LSE next year and I would like to get to know it a bit better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Djangoo
Is it true that the atmosphere feels incredibly competitive (after you get in!) and cut-throat at LSE?
Also is being at a university where everyone is doing similar courses and has similar aspirations in your opinion a good thing or a bad thing?

Hmmm interesting question. I wouldn't say its incredibly competitive at all but I would say everyone is incredibly intelligent which should be expected. What this does is makes everyone else work harder to be on the same level. I don't feel like people are competing against one another though, I feel like everyone's just trying to get to each others standard. (I hope this makes sense!)
I like the fact that most students are doing similar courses because its easier to make friends. The stereotype that everyone at LSE are all economists and just talk about economics is nonsense. If you want to make friends with art students, anthropologists, linguists or engineers, UCL and Imperial are close by. People make friends with other students at other universities at clubs etc etc.
Reply 39
Are you asian? Just like 99% of the students there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending