The Student Room Group

Should white people pay black people money for unpaid work from slavery?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
No, I had nothing to do with it and neither did the people complaining, so why should I pay compensation based on the colour of my skin? Isn't that just as racist as the slave trade?

And if we did this, why shouldn't we compensate everyone who's been wronged in the past? How about all the homosexuals get a payout from the Catholics, the Jews from the Germans etc...?

It would be hard to justify compensating people who were not victims of the activity and victimise those who were not either. If anyone was going to pay something out it would be the respective governments who legalised the activity, not random white people.

The argument is for unpaid work.
Also, pretty much all White americans played a part. Slavery didnt exist for 400 years without the majority of whites in strong agreement with it.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Did native Africans have mining techniques prior to the arrival of the white man?
Were they actively using said techniques?
Do you have any archaeological with which to back up your answer?
How would they have gotten rid of the diamonds without attracting the attention of everyone else who inhabits the world?
Do you think before you type, or are you all emotion and no logic?

Your question makes no sense. I said that the slaves did not benefit, but that their descendants did. You even quoted the post in which I said that.

Lol??? Africans had gold and diamonds, only thing at the time we didnt have 'mainstream' was guns.
Africans built empires stretching all the way to Turkey so read up on topics before you make baseless claims
Original post by Professor Purple
Lol??? Africans had gold and diamonds, only thing at the time we didnt have 'mainstream' was guns.
Africans built empires stretching all the way to Turkey so read up on topics before you make baseless claims

While I concede that I may have asked the questions in an inflammatory way, they were also genuine questions. So before you condemn me for asking questions, maybe you'd like to back your answer up with some evidence of your own?

For example, diamonds weren't discovered in South Africa until 1867, and the Dutch had been there since the 1600s. So you can see why I asked him about diamonds concerning the rest of Africa, seeing as I don't know that much about native mining techniques (nor is the Internet willing to give me that much information on them, though I could be typing erroneously into Google).
Reply 83
Original post by Cormac Easton
OP has a point. Countries in Africa are still dealing with the aftermath of the transatlantic slave trade. The West (read: white people) should be ashamed of themselves and should pay reparations.

So... the entire 'West' is responsible for the slave trade and should pay reparations to all of Africa (because, of course, all of Africa contains people who are descended from slaves, as are all black people in America)? This is essentializing much of the world in such a way that reflects basically zero historical sensitivity.
Original post by MrMango
You are missing the point.. tell me documents stating African slaves agreed to endure years of torment and slavey to in return receive electricity and help with a virus created in a labatory by white people? help my ass? stuff the electricity rather the diamonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diamond grills would be still be expensive no matter what.
Reply 85
Reply 86
Original post by Wilfred Little
Cormac Easton is really a 17 year old white boy from Buckinghamshire named Rupert.

Right. He's so transparent :lol:
Also, pretty much all White americans played a part. Slavery didnt exist for 400 years without the majority of whites in strong agreement with it.

As regards 'compensation' it doesn't really matter; all that matters is there is a wrong which deserves compensation. The Jews were put into forced labour, so I don't really see how this is relevant whichever way you look at it. It doesn't matter who started it, they're all dead now, and so are all the people who were wronged. I don't see why we should be proposing compensating people with no entitlement to the money or making anyone pay out for something they didn't do. So what we'd really be doing is victimising and compensating people based on their skin colour... which is racist. If those who were put into slavery were alive today of course I'd agree they should be compensated by their perpetrators.
Reply 88
We built the prymids, any idiot who thinks there were white people in Egypt which is in AFRICA, where the black race originates from, is a total retard. **** your electricity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens to all the mixed people?

And if we did this, why shouldn't we compensate everyone who's been wronged in the past? How about all the homosexuals get a payout from the Catholics, the Jews from the Germans etc...?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the Germans have paid reparations to the Jews totalling in billions of dollars (I think around $80 billion) for slave labour. They still pay them reparations to this day.

Homosexuals weren't forced into slave labour, amputated for not picking enough cotton, raped and sold for hundreds of years. I think the argument for reparations is focusing on slave labour, loss of resources/wealth, institutional racism etc
Slavery has existed in some form for much of history. Arabs had African slaves at one point. The Romans had slaves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_slavery
I have no idea why people feel the need to go one specifically about white people having African slaves.
Reply 92
Original post by zedeneye1
WW2 was just 45 years ago then....Times of slavery today are ~200 years old...

Also, I don't think it disadvantaged black people....They are just like that by nature....They had an entire extremely resource rich continent to themselves for 1000s of years, yet all they could do was hunt animals with sticks and live in huts. Okay, so what, right? The mongols were also the same right? lived in huts and hunted animals with sticks. But yet they managed a very successful empire(house of timur) and united china etc etc...big achievements in comparison. And they are the ones widely called stupid.

But africans on the other hand, you don't see much success of that kind. They couldn't even fight any invaders. They just kept fighting amongst themselves. Was that also white people's fault ?

And btw I'm not white. I'm Pakistani and I know my people are stupid as ******. Any major achievement (railway, post, irrigation, bridges etc etc), everything was done by the British. And since then, much of those systems are still in use with minimal/no upgradation. That's just how some people are.

If you're going to ask for plundered money, then Britain owes the Indian subcontinent a massive fortune to the tune of trillions, maybe more. Similar amounts to China, Malaysia, Singapore, etc etc etc....the list goes on....

What you're preaching - that some races are better than others by the nature of their genes, is not only unsupported by scientific evidence but also pretty much exactly the same as the ideology of the Nazi Party, and the basis of their persecution of so many millions.
Original post by Kaiju
lol no
u cant just drop ppl into bockses like dat bruh

I'm bewildered at how you can't spell 'box'... :facepalm2:
Reply 94
Original post by TheTechN1304
I'm bewildered at how you can't spell 'box'... :facepalm2:

dn't h8 the playa, h8 the gaem :parrot:
Reply 95
Original post by SophiaLDN
Correct me if I'm wrong... but the Germans have paid reparations to the Jews totalling in billions of dollars (I think around $80 billion) for slave labour. They still pay them reparations to this day.

Homosexuals weren't forced into slave labour, amputated for not picking enough cotton, raped and sold for hundreds of years. I think the argument for reparations is focusing on slave labour, loss of resources/wealth, institutional racism etc

The reparations to Jews impacted by the Holocaust is mostly to account for property the Nazis stole, not for forced labor.
Reply 96

All 'white Americans' are not complicit in the history of the slave trade. There's such a tiny percentage of people who can trace their ancestry back to the white slaveowners from the 18th century in the US. My family, for example, came to the US from Russia and the Ukraine in the early 20th century. Just because I'm white and I live in America doesn't mean that my family had any connection to anyone who owned slaves.

EDIT: I realize that maybe you're referring to white Americans in the 18th c. Sure, many played a part, but not all. Thomas Jefferson was famous for disagreeing with the slave trade and wanted to put something about abolishing it into the Declaration of Independence.
(edited 9 years ago)
the Jews from the Germans etc...?

Depending on how far we look back through history, the Jews should get a payout from just about everybody.
Not all white people were slavers, you know. So not all white people should pay back. Unfortunately, the ones that should pay are dead and it would be ridiculous to make their descendants pay as they did nothing wrong.

But you can pay back. To all those workers in 3rd country sweat shops that make most of the products that you use daily. Will you pay back your debt?
Original post by Cormac Easton
China and the likes are not really comparable to the atrocities that went on in Africa. Plus racism is still going on and keeping us down.

Excuse me.

The Japanese buried Chinese civilians alive. Have you not heard of the Nanking massacre?

Have you not heard of Unit 731? Japan used Chinese civilians to test the efficacy of explosives, by detonating grenades at certain distances from them. They opened up pregnant women and operated without anaesthetic. Well I say "operated", but the objective wasn't the benefit of the mother. Yes, the Japanese were truly barbaric in their age of imperialism. They were worse than the Belgians in the Congo. Worse than the Germans in Namibia. Worse than the British in Kenya. Worse than the French in Algeria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending