The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hello :smile:

Firstly well done on your offers! I too applied to KCL and ICL (though only made the waiting list for ICL) and liked them both so hopefully I can give you my opinion. It's true, they are both excellent med schools so in the end whatever choice you make will be a good one. I really liked both when I went to visit for my interviews but a few of the opinions I have formed on each of them are:

-Even though KCL is an amazing med school and world renowned, I think that ICL has now overtaken KCL reputation wise.
-ICL is in a nicer area than KCL and has better accomodation (my cousin who studied medicine at KCL said that the accomodation was pants).
-KCL students supposedly have a better social life whereas ICL are seen as rather geeky (though plenty of med students from ICL tried to persuade me that they do hardly any work at all :tongue: ).
-A bad point about ICL is that a friend of the family (a doctor) is always moaning about how the imp med students he comes across are quite arrogant and inconsiderate (like always showing up late to teaching sessions) compared to the UCL students he teaches.

Tbh both the atmosphere and course at both med schools is great but I would personally put ICL as a firm and KCL as an insurance (just because of reputation - the doctors at my work experience placed ICL higher than KCL too).
Reply 2
lepoissonfou
I've got offers from Kings and Imperial to do Medicine.
But... I don't know which one to go for :confused: ! I have a slight leaning towards Kings, but they are both such good Unis :confused: . i just dont know which to put as my first choice. My offer is ABB for both!
Can anyoune give me some IMPARTIAL, UNBIASED advice?

I would go for Kings. Its medicine schools have a better reputation than those of Imperial. The social life is better as well. It also has a world renowned nursing school. :wink:
Reply 3
I have very little to do with this thread since I'm studying law at ucl and have virtually no knowledge of the respective quality of ICL and Kings' med schools. However, I can dispense some advice as to their location. Kings' med school is, as you probably know already, located on the South Bank, next to Waterloo - nothing particularly wrong with that but it cannot plausibly stand the challange against Imperial - located in one of the most charming neighbourhoods in london - south kensington - some of the accommodation are literally across the road from the new main entrance and the various departments are pleasently set amidst charming squares, leafy parks and elegant houses. The main london meseums are at your doorstep: Natural History; V&A; Science Museum and so on. In addition, Fulham and Kings road, probably the two most popular streets in south london, are both within easy reach. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't hesitate - the choice would seem ominously evident to me. And, irrespective of the quality of the specific departments, Imperial's overall reputation is considerably stronger than Kings.

Hope this was of any help.

Latest

Trending

Trending