The Student Room Group

Would you think twice before befriending a rich uni student?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Thanks everyone for their responses! :smile:

Well I'm relieved to hear that. In fact that's what I thought before coming to the UK, but to the majority of my friends here having more than one property does seem like a big deal. In my country it's not unheard of at all, many middle class families have two houses, one for summer holidays and the other for the rest of the year.

I don’t know what country you're from but it is emphatically not the norm for even middle-class families to own about six houses in the UK...

Upper middle class may rent out a place or two but that's as much as it ever is
Reply 21
Original post by Nottie
WHen I was in Malta I befriended a girl from my country. Only when we were about to leave I found out she's top 50 richest person in our family. It hasnt changed a thing between us. Shes a cool person, so is her bro who i was friends with as well and I dont care if shes rich or not. She doesnt feel superior to me or anything and I like her the way she is (although I do get jealous sometimes)

I don't believe that. When people that rich are on holiday you know about it.
While at boarding school and uni generally preferred to know people who were from wealthier backgrounds. Mostly preferred to get close to them and hopefully get to know their parents or grandparents. Never know what kind of influence and benefits it could net you in future.

Did it net me any benefits? Absolutely.
No because if you had a rubbish personality, I still wouldn't like you.

And tbh I'm quite well off too (not bragging) so I wouldn't really care if you're well off as well..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think I'd think anything different of anyone who owned a few more properties and a few more cars. If their personality is bad, then what's the point of being friends with them. Just because they have more money doesn't make them a better friend. It shouldn't change anything whether your friend is poor or rich :')

Also I don't think I'd just disclose information about the status of my family's wealth intentionally like that, it'd probably come out as an accident or whilst explaining something so I'm sure that people who hear it won't think anything of you :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by samba
I don't believe that. When people that rich are on holiday you know about it.

It's true. I knew her 3 weeks and only in the last one they told me how rich they are. They just don't show it off.
The rich element wouldn't come into it for me. One of my best mates at Uni was very well off, but he was very down to earth and just like anyone else really!
I think it's great that your parents taught you to be down to earth, because most of the times, it's not the really rich people who show off, but rather the middle classes. Back when I went to uni in Paris,I knew a lot of people who were like middle-class or upper-middle class and they honestly acted like they were in an episode of gossip girl, but they didn't have that much money. And of course, because I'm arab, these people assumed I was living in the bad suburbs of paris in social housing and that my parents were probably poor and jobless. LOL. In reality I come from a town 5 h away from Paris, in a nice neighbourhood, we have a nice house here, and in my parent's country we have a vacation house which is more like a mansion, so I'd say we're not poor lol we're ok, anyways,this was just to explain why I wouldn't befriend people who are/or think that they are rich and throw their money around etc , not my type of people at all. Even the ones who are quiet and don't show off I wouldn't be friends with them, because most of the time, they don't understand that they're lucky that their parents are well off, so they just assume everyone else is like them, and when you explain that no, you didn't travel the world or you are not willing to pay for designers bags/shoes, they are like what ??
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks again to everyone! I'm so glad people would rather focus on my responsibility than the amount of money my parents make.

Original post by scrotgrot
I don’t know what country you're from but it is emphatically not the norm for even middle-class families to own about six houses in the UK...

I avoid revealing my country because someone who knows me in real life may identify me. I can't say it's the norm to own six houses in my country, we're like the upper segment of the middle class, but my father rented out all but two of those houses to pay off my tuition fees. With that said, it is the norm to have a vacation house along the seaside in addition to a normal house/flat if you live in the major cities.
Oops I meant to say personality, not responsibility. Typed rather fast :biggrin:
I'm posting anonymously to avoid accusations of bragging - I would NEVER disclose this info about myself in real life or even under my internet persona.

Bluntly said, my parents are quite well off. I come from another country where my family owns 4 flats and 2 houses, 2 cars, several acres of land (inherited from my grandparents) and latest models of phones. However both my mom and dad come from lower income families and had to work their arses of to achieve that wealth. They were able to afford international fees without compromising their life quality, and now they are decreasing their workload to ease their way into retirement.

Even though I'm an only child, my parents (especially my dad) tried to teach me the values of modesty and compassion. For example, I don't have my own car, no do I want to, I use public transport whenever I can, I always try to get lowest offers on things I buy, I give away stuff I don't need anymore to charity rather than throwing them away, I pack my own lunches and try not to eat out or spend too much on booze, etc.

But still, my mom buys me stuff from designer brands which I don't particularly oppose, and even though I try my best to not disclose the fact that I'm rich to my friends, I sometimes unintentionally reveal some things that could hint that I am. For example, while talking about properties I said that my family had a summer house in my home country, to which my friend reacted as follows: "Wow you must be really rich to have more than one property." I told her that we sold it eventually (which is not a lie, the only thing I didn't mention was we sold it to buy something even more expensive and that we have more than 2 properties already). Most, if not all, of my friends come from lower income families. Usually I don't enjoy the company of rich people because they come across as spoilt and superficial to me.

Long story short, if you come from an underprivileged family (or just not as well of as mine is), would you think twice before befriending me?

To be honest you are not rich, but upper-middle class. Befriend with people you like and do not talk much about parents business or travel-holidays or your/their status (unless you get really close to them because you like to stay with them).

Most of us befriend classmates because we need them during our studies. Hence, I never disclose my status nor my family business. In the end, I share these information only if I want to befriend with them longer than university's period. :rolleyes:

It will happen to find richer people in university, who disclose or don't their status. I met a classmate who after university went to help her father. When I asked her what sort of work experience she was getting, she said she started managing her father business (chain of pharmacies in south UK). Well, now that I consider our talks back then, she went quite a lot travelling around the world, but did not really know her budget was that much.

She was behaving normally like any student, but in the end, even if I knew her status, she is just a friend/acquaintance, I would still not be more than that as her personality piss me off sometimes and I did not like how clingy she was with me during the studies <.< (even though she was cute :wink: ) ...
I'm posting anonymously to avoid accusations of bragging - I would NEVER disclose this info about myself in real life or even under my internet persona.

Bluntly said, my parents are quite well off. I come from another country where my family owns 4 flats and 2 houses, 2 cars, several acres of land (inherited from my grandparents) and latest models of phones. However both my mom and dad come from lower income families and had to work their arses of to achieve that wealth. They were able to afford international fees without compromising their life quality, and now they are decreasing their workload to ease their way into retirement.

Even though I'm an only child, my parents (especially my dad) tried to teach me the values of modesty and compassion. For example, I don't have my own car, no do I want to, I use public transport whenever I can, I always try to get lowest offers on things I buy, I give away stuff I don't need anymore to charity rather than throwing them away, I pack my own lunches and try not to eat out or spend too much on booze, etc.

But still, my mom buys me stuff from designer brands which I don't particularly oppose, and even though I try my best to not disclose the fact that I'm rich to my friends, I sometimes unintentionally reveal some things that could hint that I am. For example, while talking about properties I said that my family had a summer house in my home country, to which my friend reacted as follows: "Wow you must be really rich to have more than one property." I told her that we sold it eventually (which is not a lie, the only thing I didn't mention was we sold it to buy something even more expensive and that we have more than 2 properties already). Most, if not all, of my friends come from lower income families. Usually I don't enjoy the company of rich people because they come across as spoilt and superficial to me.

Long story short, if you come from an underprivileged family (or just not as well of as mine is), would you think twice before befriending me?

Tbh I don't care how much money a person has, if you have a great personality and you are yourself, etc then yeah I'd be your friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't mind as long as they weren't obnoxious
I have only met one person who seemed somewhat wealthy (maybe not rich) and while they did not fit the usual caviar-eating stereotype, they were insufferable and very openly snobby going as far as to insult those in the group who lived in certain poor areas. I would not judge all rich folk on that one experience though and would keep an open mind but, as with any human encounter, I'd be extremely cautious until I'd had sufficient time to get to know the person. There are good and bad people everywhere, rich, poor and in-between.
I try not to judge people on appearances (but let's be honest it is unavoidable). I personally like quality but don't like in your face labels. Real quality you can spot a mile off, in your face labels are too try hard.

Youre not going to not have friends, because you're "rich" Just dont brag about it, to uni friends, because quite a lot will have came from poor backgrounds

Unless you're like the people my friends met at another campus (ie: they sorta almost said in front them, "Why are you talking to poor people" ) - thing is, this uni isn't even a "snobby" uni either....

Just dont mention how rich you are :smile:

Also, surprisingly, there's quite a few "well off" people at the uni. ie: I had a friend who told me how much he had saved up, when we were discussing interest rates (As you do)

Dont "make out" that you're rich. Fair enough, spend x money on a car. Your parents might also own another house (or two) but most people's families dont own 6 :biggrin: (Not unless youre my grand dad who bought loads when they were cheap - he's not rich though)

I think people definitely expect some people to be more "well off" than others tho!

BTW, you come across as a really nice person, so you should be fine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mick.w
yes.

i have found that rich people have befriended me because they think i can act as some sort of streetwise consultant. a sort of ghillie for the urban environment.

then i've found after they no longer need to be in that environment they detach from any communication.

it does become apparent to me that many rich people do not make friends with poor people unless its for necessity at the time.

even if they genuinely like me i can tell they see me as a sort of "fun character" and a "fond memory" to look back on.

this was a stereotype of rich people that i new and was aware of but hadn't experienced it first hand. but now i have and i will forever second guess intentions from a rich person.

Equally there are going to be people who befriend rich people, because they're rich ie: use them
Reply 37
Not at all, as long as you're not a dick and didn't look down on me. :cute:
Original post by scrotgrot

This depends on where in the country you bought those houses, and the amount of money you're likely to get out of them

For instance, a 90K house "up norf" might only pay the mortgae and maybe £100 more. A 90K house in the midlands, can net you a lot more

SO it's feasible for someone to be "middle class" and own several houses. OP however is probably rich :biggrin:
Thanks again to everyone! I'm so glad people would rather focus on my responsibility than the amount of money my parents make.

I avoid revealing my country because someone who knows me in real life may identify me. I can't say it's the norm to own six houses in my country, we're like the upper segment of the middle class, but my father rented out all but two of those houses to pay off my tuition fees. With that said, it is the norm to have a vacation house along the seaside in addition to a normal house/flat if you live in the major cities.

Agreed with you there ie: in South Asia, it can be perfectly "normal" to own several properties for rental purposes. (Provided you werent born there) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending