The Student Room Group

Geography interview at manchester

Has anyone ever had an interview at Manchester uni for geography? What questions can I expect? What should I wear? My interview is on Wednesday! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by anna.c.
Has anyone ever had an interview at Manchester uni for geography? What questions can I expect? What should I wear? My interview is on Wednesday! :smile:

I have not been but heard that you are to dress casual/formal; the the interview is fairly relaxed; and that they have introduced a new thing- they give you a seemingly random object and ask you to "explain how it connects to your course"; many things were shown- IPod, Obsidian rock, doll- so brace yourself. You might not get it, but I've heard that three other Man Interview students had to complete the task. Hope I have helped.
Reply 2
Thank you for the help! Was this for geography or all courses?
Reply 3
Original post by anna.c.
Thank you for the help! Was this for geography or all courses?

I believe it was for Environmental Sciences, History and Geology. But I can be mistaken.
Reply 4
Original post by anna.c.

I have one for geography is Jan! how was it and what kinda questions did they ask? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Depends on who you get, they do presentations at the start about the uni and sell it to you, then you have your interview, depending on what you want to do they can ask you anything!!! I had a picture of a glacier and the prof said where's North!!!!????
But it's really relaxed, and I wore jeans and shirt and tie

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by U REEK
I have one for geography is Jan! how was it and what kinda questions did they ask? :biggrin:

I had one in November and it was really good (I got an offer days after). I had lots of practice interviews with my school and they asked really hard questions etc, but the real interview was so calm and relaxed! It was honestly a conversation that went by so quickly. The lady that interviewed me was so nice and really encouraging and welcoming.

She asked me about what projects I have done (I mentioned the ones on my PS and expanded)
2. Then because I was talking about cultural diversity, we began to speak about cultural diversity int the UK and superpowers
3. Then she asked about my specific interests - I said energy - and then we started talking about energy
4. Then she asked me why do i want to study at Manchester

Hope this helped! Just stay calm and read over your personal statement and try to have some practice interviews!
Reply 7
Hey, what GCSEs and as levels did you guys who are applying for geo get? Don't mean to be intrusive but just comparing my results as I may apply to manchester next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by staky
Hey, what GCSEs and as levels did you guys who are applying for geo get? Don't mean to be intrusive but just comparing my results as I may apply to manchester next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 2 A*'s 2 A's 4 B's and 1 C for GCSE's but I didn't take Geog for GCSE. And I got AABC for AS - one of the A's in Geog
Reply 9
Original post by staky

Posted from TSR Mobile

AABC on AS. With one hard science and A in Geo. Only one A* GCSE, but rest A/B's.
Reply 10
Original post by drewsalexia
I had one in November and it was really good (I got an offer days after). I had lots of practice interviews with my school and they asked really hard questions etc, but the real interview was so calm and relaxed! It was honestly a conversation that went by so quickly. The lady that interviewed me was so nice and really encouraging and welcoming.

She asked me about what projects I have done (I mentioned the ones on my PS and expanded)
2. Then because I was talking about cultural diversity, we began to speak about cultural diversity int the UK and superpowers
3. Then she asked about my specific interests - I said energy - and then we started talking about energy
4. Then she asked me why do i want to study at Manchester

Hope this helped! Just stay calm and read over your personal statement and try to have some practice interviews!

Had interview last wednesday and they gave me offer the next day via email, how long did it take for urs to come up on UCAS?
Reply 11
Had my interview today (Geosciences), casual, fairly easy- I cannot state without seeing the results.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending