The Student Room Group

Classroom experience tomorrow for a PGCE... help!!!!

Hello! So I want to apply for a PGCE and I have 2 days experience tomorrow and the day after in a secondary school (I have absolutely no other experience, the last time I was in a secondary school, I was a pupil)
So... what will I be doing? What should I do? Should I take notes? Talk to pupils/teachers? I have literally no idea!!

And just to clarify, 2 days is nowhere near enough to apply with, is it? I contacted every secondary school within 10 miles, this one replied, another replied but they said I need a DBS check, and I applied for an experience programme at my old secondary school, I went for an interview then completed an application form but that was nearly 2 weeks ago I've heard nothing back :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by ohaiemmy
Hello! So I want to apply for a PGCE and I have 2 days experience tomorrow and the day after in a secondary school (I have absolutely no other experience, the last time I was in a secondary school, I was a pupil)
So... what will I be doing? What should I do? Should I take notes? Talk to pupils/teachers? I have literally no idea!!

And just to clarify, 2 days is nowhere near enough to apply with, is it? I contacted every secondary school within 10 miles, this one replied, another replied but they said I need a DBS check, and I applied for an experience programme at my old secondary school, I went for an interview then completed an application form but that was nearly 2 weeks ago I've heard nothing back :frown:

When do you want to apply for PGCE? What you can do is get the 2 days experience, at your own expense get a DBS check done, so that many other schools will open for you.
DBS can take around 6 weeks, if you apply before that, just write in your PGCE statement that you have 2 days experience so far, DBS is on its way, thereafter you will spend much more time in schools observing.

As for the 2 days, go into the school, tell them you are wanting to see as much teaching as possible, make notes, observe and at the end of each lesson have a quick chat with each teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending