The Student Room Group

Drinking alchohol makes me feel ill

I'm a 22 year old male.

For the last year or so whenever I've tried to drink a lot (to get drunk) I start to feel very nauseous and stop drinking. Though I say drink a lot after a pint/two I know that another drink would make me throw up. I'm by no means an alcoholic, I never drink on my own/with meals - I pretty much only drink to get drunk (with friends) maybe a few times a month/year.

I appreciate that I have a very low tolerance but I'm not even drunk when I start to feel ill, and I'm not stupid enough to keep drinking when I feel ill.

For the first two years of Uni I could easily drink/get drunk without feeling bad - though I used to get horrific handovers. Now its at the point where I have a drink or two, feel sick for the next few hours and have a horrific night.

I saw a doctor last year (or even two years ago) for something unrelated and my ALT/AST levels were elevated, plus I saw another GP lasts year and my levels were still elevated. But neither of them seemed that concerned about it.

I do have a under-active thyroid and I'm on 100mcg of Levythyroxine. I've always assumed its something to do with this and hypo people quite often mention (on the internet) that alcohol doesn't interact with them that well.

I'm tempted to see a GP about it as it could be caused by something underlying but I really don't want to just go to one to be like "I feel sick when I drink".
You could have an alcohol intolerance, which may have been exasperated by the medication you're taking. Go and see your GP, they're there to help you.
Reply 2
Edit/Update

I know the title looks very stupid, but its something that is abnormal (I know noone else like this). It's not the title that I feel is important, its more that only a few drinks will make me feel ill for a few hours.
Reply 3
I know people who outright can't have more than two drinks before breaking out in cold sweats and sometimes getting all patchy. Just talk to your doctor about it and they'll be able to help... or at least tell you what's going wrong
There are always alternatives... :bong:
Original post by SP0TIFY
I know people who outright can't have more than two drinks before breaking out in cold sweats and sometimes getting all patchy.

Like me. Even before I was on medication, I was unable to drink that much. Now, I only need half a pint of cider (or maybe less) and then I start to feel ill.

Quick Reply

Latest