The Student Room Group

Can't get a part-time job

Anyone else struggling to get a part time job? I heard that it was easier to get one before or around Christmas because lots of places hire for the season but I still can't get one! I must have applied for about 50, and sent my CV in to loads of shops and restaurants, and most of them didn't even reply back to me. I didn't even get an interview from any of them. I've applied for a few volunteer positions too and none of them have gotten back to me either.
It's really stressing me out because I don't even understand why? My GCSE results were good and I've done extracurricular activities and stuff. I have to write my UCAS application in less than a year, and even though I'm doing things at sixth form, I won't have enough to be considered as good enough by any uni i want to go to without a job or volunteer position. I was even assured that employers prefer to hire girls from my sixth form because of the good reputation of the school, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Can anyone give some advice on how to make me 'employable', because I just don't seem to be at the minute.
Original post by templarleonardo
Anyone else struggling to get a part time job? I heard that it was easier to get one before or around Christmas because lots of places hire for the season but I still can't get one! I must have applied for about 50, and sent my CV in to loads of shops and restaurants, and most of them didn't even reply back to me. I didn't even get an interview from any of them. I've applied for a few volunteer positions too and none of them have gotten back to me either.
It's really stressing me out because I don't even understand why? My GCSE results were good and I've done extracurricular activities and stuff. I have to write my UCAS application in less than a year, and even though I'm doing things at sixth form, I won't have enough to be considered as good enough by any uni i want to go to without a job or volunteer position. I was even assured that employers prefer to hire girls from my sixth form because of the good reputation of the school, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Can anyone give some advice on how to make me 'employable', because I just don't seem to be at the minute.

Try harder to look for jobs and always remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
When did you start applying for jobs? Most places fill their Christmas vacancies in September/October, so they're not gonna have any vacancies available now. Do you have any sort of retail/waiting experience? A lot of places won't hire people without experience.

Quick Reply