The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's your interpretation of my posts based on the same forum. I'm not trying to prove anything other than to give the OP the correct information!
Bismarck
Never said it wasn't a highly ranked program. It's likely because of its reputation and a quality American Politics department, however. What kind of a serious program has 5-6 professors?

It is ranked #2 in International Politics.

Also, to explain the number of profs: IR/IPS are interdiscplinary degrees. It is its own department. The degrees are co-taught between political science, IR/IPS, economics, and history. So I took many history classes that related to IR, and Stanford has quite a strong base in international history. Also economics classes such as Development Economics, International Economics, Economics of the Middle East, and others are part of the program. There are also area study programs. I did a minor in African Studies, for example. There is Middle East, East Asia, and Latin America as well. If you put those all together--and Stanford has top 5 departments in economics, history, and poli sci--you will find there are significantly more than 6 professors who are leaders in their academic fields.
Reply 22
shady lane
It is ranked #2 in International Politics.

Also, to explain the number of profs: IR/IPS are interdiscplinary degrees. It is its own department. The degrees are co-taught between political science, IR/IPS, economics, and history. So I took many history classes that related to IR, and Stanford has quite a strong base in international history. Also economics classes such as Development Economics, International Economics, Economics of the Middle East, and others are part of the program. There are also area study programs. I did a minor in African Studies, for example. There is Middle East, East Asia, and Latin America as well. If you put those all together--and Stanford has top 5 departments in economics, history, and poli sci--you will find there are significantly more than 6 professors who are leaders in their academic fields.

Tha'ts still not relevant. Other programs, which have well over a dozen IR professors, also have separate Economics, History, and Area Studies departments.
Reply 23
shady lane
But Bismarck is misleading people into thinking it's a bad department. It's kind of hard to rank #2 if the department is bad. Also Stanford has a very high student life ranking and many people enjoy their time there, so I suggested it, but he was making me feel as though I'm giving people bad advice. I'm not aggressive, but to be honest I think Bismarck has some issues about where he did his undergrad versus where I did mine...

It's a bad department relative to how hard it is to get in it. It's not terrible. I'd probably put it in the top 20. But it's easier to get into better programs, so it makes little sense to apply to Stanford. Ditto for UCLA and Berkeley.

And drop your attitude. I didn't say anything personal about you. I know full well that my undergraduate college is significantly worse than Stanford. I don't see how that's relevant.

Latest