The Student Room Group

I'm unfit because it's all so unclear.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rexzx
I don't see why eating more will help tbh

Because you're not very big in any direction.
Reply 21
Original post by SmashConcept
Because you're not very big in any direction.

but like will I not just look even odder
Original post by rexzx
I don't see why eating more will help tbh

It will help you look less like a DYEL meme.
Reply 23
Original post by rexzx

:confused: What do you think it's going to make you look like? You'll look less skinny, you implied that's what you want
Eat more. Lift weights. It's simple. If you're not happy with your body then you have to put the effort in or you're never going to change. There are no easy routes.
Baby steps, skinny man. Focus on lifting heavy and eating lots and lots and lots of real food. First short term goal, 130lb.
Original post by rexzx

When I started working out and eating more I was basically the exact same size and age as you. With the extra food I gained weight and grew to about 5'10 in a short space of time. Maybe I would have had that growth spurt anyway, but I wouldn't like to chance it. Restricting your nutrition when you are growing is a bad idea. Poorer people have always been shorter than rich people, and I think they still are.
Reply 27
When I started working out and eating more I was basically the exact same size and age as you. With the extra food I gained weight and grew to about 5'10 in a short space of time. Maybe I would have had that growth spurt anyway, but I wouldn't like to chance it. Restricting your nutrition when you are growing is a bad idea. Poorer people have always been shorter than rich people, and I think they still are.

I don't think I'm restricting my nutrition
Jump on the cross trainer with some good music. You will be an athlete before you know it.
Original post by rexzx
X

My best advice to you would be to find something you enjoy doing. There's no point me telling you to go on a big bulk when you might not be interested or motivated enough to maintain the regime.
If you find a sport or an activity you really like, stick with it and it'll become ingrained in your week's schedule. The only way you can transform is if you carry something on routinely.
Original post by rexzx
I don't think I'm restricting my nutrition

But you're 110 lbs so you must be.

It's a bit unfair to say he must be restricting his nutrition. There are other factors at play here.
Original post by Alimbo95
It's a bit unfair to say he must be restricting his nutrition. There are other factors at play here.

Other than possible depression, which leads to restricting intake of food

His problem is lack of food and exercise tbh!
Original post by Angry cucumber
Other than possible depression, which leads to restricting intake of food

His problem is lack of food and exercise tbh!

Not necessarily. When my brother started bulking his diet was good: complex carbs, on top of his macros etc. It took him ages to put any sort of real weight on.
Reply 34

there's not really anything missing from my diet imo, maybe I'm not eating a huge amount of calories so obvs that's why I'm not fatter but from my admittedly uneducated viewpoint it seems I'm getting enough to function properly.
I posted a very long winded answer but it got removed by the mods, no idea why. Probably because it had so many links in it :smile:

So I'm going to cut this short, go with a beginner workout routine like ICF 5x5. For muscle growth, calories in > calories out. If you can't gain muscle then you have gone wrong somewhere with counting calories. Use a TDEE calculator like iifym calculator to calculate your macros and TDEE, eat 250-500 calories above your TDEE.

There are loads of resources online, I suggest you look at the reddit fitness FAQ, simplesciencefitness and aworkoutroutine on google. Knowledge is power.

EDIT: I suggest using MyFitnessPal for tracking your calories in, if you claim that you eat enough to support muscle growth, think again. You're probably not eating as much as you claim, track the calories ! Make it a long term goal and tell us what happens. You have a good base for developing muscle growth (low body fat %). So start bulking and make sure to add weights to ensure progressive overload.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
Not necessarily. When my brother started bulking his diet was good: complex carbs, on top of his macros etc. It took him ages to put any sort of real weight on.

He didn't eat enough calories then.
Original post by OmarAlfredo
I posted a very long winded answer but it got removed by the mods, no idea why. Probably because it had so many links in it :smile:

So I'm going to cut this short, go with a beginner workout routine like ICF 5x5. For muscle growth, calories in > calories out. If you can't gain muscle then you have gone wrong somewhere with counting calories. Use a TDEE calculator like iifym calculator to calculate your macros and TDEE, eat 250-500 calories above your TDEE.

There are loads of resources online, I suggest you look at the reddit fitness FAQ, simplesciencefitness and aworkoutroutine on google. Knowledge is power.

EDIT: I suggest using MyFitnessPal for tracking your calories in, if you claim that you eat enough to support muscle growth, think again. You're probably not eating as much as you claim, track the calories ! Make it a long term goal and tell us what happens. You have a good base for developing muscle growth (low body fat %). So start bulking and make sure to add weights to ensure progressive overload.

I don't know why your post got removed tbh, I'll investigate for you and PM you an answer :smile:

AC
Original post by Fideo
He didn't eat enough calories then.

Oh ok then!
Reply 39
Oh ok then!

glad we agree

Quick Reply

Latest