Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writers Society!

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is crazy, Elements. Very much so. Then again, he is scottish. . .:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wish I had a writing group too... meh. I tried NaNoWriMo and personally didn't get on with it at all. I'm too pedantic - it just doesn't work for me if I can't edit as I go along, because plotlines change and I'm too fussy to be willing risk the inevitable crap I'd be churning out if I were always just striving to make the word count! :p: I don't write at all well at speed, it just demoralised me. But I can see why it would work for others.

I need chivvying, and yet time contraints kill it stone dead. It's so ironic.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start a Writers' Group off I was going to, but then this scottish teacher came along and got there before me. There could well be people in your situation. It just needs someone to do something to get you all together!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would if I had the time! :mad: I spend my life going to band rehearsals that I don't want to go to but have to because I have instrumental lessons. Bah. Besides, I doubt I'd be any good at leading that sort of thing, lol...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you dont know how much I wish that i could. but in my halls at uni i cant get tsr, god only knows why, but i cant. So I couldn't really make full use of it, so it would be a little pointless I'm currently writing a novel (its taking its time what with uni). It's a youth fantasy book, so kinda of the age group standard of the Garth Nix books. Its not too deep (yet). But in my experience, first drafts are only ever a skeleton, you flesh out the second time through, so you never know, it might rise up a bit.

Anyway, so thats me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be a member of a writers' society on here; count me in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    Well, it very much depends on who that person is, and how well you get on with that person. On the one hand, it's very good if it's a person you spend a lot of time with and know very well, because you'll be able to interrelate all your ideas, and you are probably less likely to want the book to go in different ways - you'll both be aiming for the same goal.
    On the other hand, it can be something that will break two people apart. If you are normally very good friends, then getting too close, and emotionally involved (you do, when writing something) isn't always good.

I'd say that for the series that we're working on now, it's a lot easier for my brother and me to generate ideas and progress the plot, develop the characters etc. because we can bounce it off each other.
    So how does that work? Do you write one chapter, he writes one chapter, or does someone do a draft and the other revises it, or do you just fight for control of the keyboard? I'm curious now! :p:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    We have done all of the above! :P: As well as dictation, general discussing it and typing at the same time, sharing ideas while they're being written down, one typing and the other spontaneously suggesting different ways for it to be put / the next thing to write etc. etc. Although the last is the slowest and least efficient way of doing it, in our experience, I'd say.

It's a lot more fun, writing it together. Plus you can motivate one another!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine it being really useful to be constantly bouncing ideas off each other... good for weeding out awkward phrasing and inadvertant cheesy bits, I'd have thought.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most certainly! I'm sure that both the book, and our own individual writing styles have benefitted as a result of having each other around.

This should hopefully be in the socs list very soon
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woohoo! Did you find that the end product was completely different to the initial outline? I did, lol... it got twisted and turned until it was unrecognisable. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    Most certainly! I'm sure that both the book, and our own individual writing styles have benefitted as a result of having each other around.

This should hopefully be in the socs list very soon
    :yy: That's good to know. I will definitely make room for it. Did you mention your writing in your Personal Statement, Sir Esh? Are you and your brother twins? Are you both applying to Oxford?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed this thread and not to take your attention away from this soc, but perhaps you might be interested in this site: www.youngwriterssociety.com
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woot, we're in the soc list!

So, what are everyone's favourite genres to write/read? Let's get some answers here. :p::cool:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Welcome, to all the members of our very own Writer's Society! The current list of members is as follows:

Sir Esh
    sdawood
    Jayk Bakner
    hyper-little-mushroom-men

I'll reply to posts later on; I'm a bit too busy at the moment.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel so happy right now!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyper-little-mushroom-men)
    Woohoo! Did you find that the end product was completely different to the initial outline? I did, lol... it got twisted and turned until it was unrecognisable. :p:
    Oh definitely. Completely changed. But that's a good thing. We were turned down by quite a few publishers before we got to where we are now, and thanks to that, our novel is now a lot better than what I would have been. We also had a chance to properly sort out how it would fit in with the entire series and everything

(Original post by Elements)
    :yy: That's good to know. I will definitely make room for it. Did you mention your writing in your Personal Statement, Sir Esh? Are you and your brother twins? Are you both applying to Oxford?
    Yes, I did. Yes, we are. No, he's not.

Talk about giving dead answers :P: Yeah, my application has been dusted off and sent away. Got to sit down and wait now. But my twin brother stopped schooling a few years ago, so that he could be a full-time writer, and fully concentrate on that. He didn't learn anything that he wanted to in school, so he did a few O-levels so that he had 'a qualification' then went full-time writing - and has probably learnt a lot more about things that he wants to as a result, and thoroughly enjoyed it! As for now, however, he is content to write away, so is not bothering with going to uni.

So, what are everyone's favourite genres to write/read? Let's get some answers here. :p::cool:
    Fav. Genre: Fantasy for both. Although I've started writing a diary (:confused: ?!?! I know..) which has allowed me to write with a completely different style. And I've began to like poetry again, since reading "Dulce et Decorum" by Wilfred Owen. I had lost hope in poetry till then, but reading that just sparked me up for it again. So I might start writing some poetry some time as well. Probably just a little play about, though, nothing serious.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Sir_Esh)
    Fav. Genre: Fantasy for both.
    Same here; and Sci-Fi comes a close second in both categories too. Their just so much fun to write in, because you're not grounded in reality and you can just run amock with your imagination, which is always fun

Oh yeah, and seeing as this soc is starting up good and proper now, I'd like to throw summat into the mix:

The Raider's Dream

I've been working on this for more or less five months now, and I've been trying to get feedback on it for ages (hence why it's posted on that site). So far I've only got it back from 5 (3 of which come from that site) people and that's not precisely a decent cross-section, y'know? So if you guys have time in your busy schedules, could you have a gander and tell me what you think? And I apologise in advance for spelling and grammar errors - lysdexic on the loose here, so my proof-reading isn't precisely 100%

EDIT: Oh yeah; navigation on the site is pretty easy...just use the drop-down box in the top right to look through the chapters!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, I want to join!
    I wrote a short novel when I was thirteen. My older sister (the English major) said that it was good enough to be published, but I didn't like it so it just sat in my computer. I'm currently writing a story about vampires, but so far that is all that it's about. No real plotline.:yo-less:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayk Bakner)
    Same here; and Sci-Fi comes a close second in both categories too. Their just so much fun to write in, because you're not grounded in reality and you can just run amock with your imagination, which is always fun

Oh yeah, and seeing as this soc is starting up good and proper now, I'd like to throw summat into the mix:

The Raider's Dream

I've been working on this for more or less five months now, and I've been trying to get feedback on it for ages (hence why it's posted on that site). So far I've only got it back from 5 (3 of which come from that site) people and that's not precisely a decent cross-section, y'know? So if you guys have time in your busy schedules, could you have a gander and tell me what you think? And I apologise in advance for spelling and grammar errors - lysdexic on the loose here, so my proof-reading isn't precisely 100%

EDIT: Oh yeah; navigation on the site is pretty easy...just use the drop-down box in the top right to look through the chapters!
    :five: My favourite genre to both read and write is fantasy too, followed by science fiction. I just love how imaginative, creative and original they are and can be. As an idealist also, I dislike reality/realism.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 22, 2014
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.