The Student Room Group

Badges are live.... beta rollout!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Baby Milo
No.

YES.
Original post by TeeEm
This sounds like merits we used to get in Year 7.

I do not wish to be labelled anything without my permission

Too late. The poll is closed.

ok
Original post by Maid Marian
SHIELDS. Please call them shields. Can we have swords and bows and arrows and crossbows and axes and staffs too? :gah:

Well, you'll have at least one supporter of that :mmm:

BurstingBubbles
x
Original post by shadowdweller
Well, you'll have at least one supporter of that :mmm:

:woo: :party:
Original post by Clip
Why do you bother?

This is just another in the long line of badly thought out developments trying to remedy a problem that didn't really exist.

No matter how badly this goes down it will be hailed as an unqualified success.

What do you mean? A problem does exist, this idea doesn't do much to fix it but it is better than doing nothing.
Why make TSR an achievement based forum board?

At the end of the day TSR is a network for students to come and converse, I'm not so sure that people need to be recognised in this way for helping out?

It was interesting to see that you'd be looking to see appropriate people to join Team TSR through this. It's not like you can't already see this at the moment as I was asked to become one out of the blue just from my helpful posts in my uni forum, and then it went on from there. I wouldn't like to introduce a wanna-be-mod (WBM) culture where users make it their aim to become a mod or CA through getting as many posts as they can.

I can see the theory behind the badges, but I'm not sure it'd be beneficial enough to spend so much dev time on? I imagine that the TSR modded version of vBulletin is a rabbit warren of workarounds and patch ups.

Food for thought, anyway. :smile:
Any idea linked to quantity rather than quality is going to end up in carnage. The moment this system is put in place you'll get people spamming in certain forums with what could be deemed helpful but really isn't anything other than an obvious attempt to gain badges.

Well, the report system should pick up on spam in sections like Study Help. And considering Study Help and Unanswered Threads both require the post(s) to be repped, people will gain very little from spamming unhelpful answers.

The only section particularly at risk from getting spammed is Chat, and spamming is allowed there to a degree anyway.
Well, the report system should pick up on spam in sections like Study Help. And considering Study Help and Unanswered Threads both require the post(s) to be repped, people will gain very little from spamming unhelpful answers.

The report system won't pick up on spam unless you change the definition of spam to include posts which are pre-scripted and factually incorrect. And even if you did extend spam to include these things, how will a moderator judge whether a post is wrong or not? Will they have to research the answer themselves?
Original post by Snufkin
The report system won't pick up on spam unless you change the definition of spam to include posts which are pre-scripted and factually incorrect. And even if you did extend spam to include these things, how will a moderator judge whether a post is wrong or not? Will they have to research the answer themselves?

Well, if people are posting pre-scripted answers, they presumably won't be relevant to the thread. But I maintain that the fact the higher level badges need the post to be repped will compensate for this - an unhelpful or incorrect answer is unlikely to be repped.
Well, if people are posting pre-scripted answers, they presumably won't be relevant to the thread. But I maintain that the fact the higher level badges need the post to be repped will compensate for this - an unhelpful or incorrect answer is unlikely to be repped.

Well that clearly isn't that case given that someone who has recently posted nothing but unhelpful advice still managed to place in the top 10 of the most repped competition. The person asking the question doesn't know the answer they've received is wrong so they have no reason not to rep it.

The problem in the uni/ucas forums is that it isn't obvious immediately that advice is unhelpful.

Eg on results day if someone replies to a thread about getting into clearing with "call ucas" the user concerned will likely spend 30min+ on hold and a bunch in phone bills before finding out that ucas can't help. They may well rep the person offering that advice before they realise.

The unanswered thread competition resulted in a lot of "help" advising users to ring ucas when in fact there are only a handful of situations that ucas are able to help.
Original post by Snufkin
Well that clearly isn't that case given that someone who has recently posted nothing but unhelpful advice still managed to place in the top 10 of the most repped competition. The person asking the question doesn't know the answer they've received is wrong so they have no reason not to rep it.

The most repped competition was sitewide, no? I mean in relation to just Study Help and unanswered threads. I'd assume a person would check answers they were given, but maybe I'm placing too much faith in them.

Original post by PQ
The problem in the uni/ucas forums is that it isn't obvious immediately that advice is unhelpful.

Eg on results day if someone replies to a thread about getting into clearing with "call ucas" the user concerned will likely spend 30min+ on hold and a bunch in phone bills before finding out that ucas can't help. They may well rep the person offering that advice before they realise.

The unanswered thread competition resulted in a lot of "help" advising users to ring ucas when in fact there are only a handful of situations that ucas are able to help.

Of course, it would be different for the UCAS & Uni forums, but I don't think the system is being implemented there yet? :smile:
I suggested a badge system in... January, I think, or perhaps last December. It's interesting to see something like it in the pipeline. I quite like it! :smile:

It's a shame that some badges cannot be awarded retrospectively, but that's not a long-term issue.

I've seen a badge system at work on another website, and it works well - the way it's done isn't childish. I know some members here may think a badge system is childish, but I don't think it is. I think it's a nice idea to not just recognise quantity but quality as well. That's been lacking a bit, really.

I like the proposed system. So far, so good anyway :smile:. It will be nice to see it rolled out!

Of course, it would be different for the UCAS & Uni forums, but I don't think the system is being implemented there yet? :smile:

I went with an example from my area of expertise but the same applies for SH threads.

For example in the A level forum every summer/autumn there are a tonne of threads from GCSE students asking for advice on which A levels to choose. In the main the people answering these threads are A level students - often offering insight on what they *think* admissions staff for various subjects prefer. The quality of this advice varies massively and there is a lot of classic TSR subject snobbery repeated without any evidence.

Students following this advice aren't likely to realise the quality of the advice until 18 months later when they apply/get offers/rejections. There's a good chance they'll rep whoever gave them the advice at the time though. And that that person will get a badge of some sort lending credibility to their answers in future.

I'm not anti the badge idea. I'm just a bit wary of the fact that it is using rep as a firm of quality control.

In term of future badges could this be used to get the PS advisers some sort of ID quickly?

Also maybe badges for people who report posts (that then get actioned by the mods)?

And the poor neglected wiki editors...
Honestly, not a fan. With no offence meant, this feels a bit gimicky and unnecessary. We've already got the rep system based on quantitative numbers, we don't need three new systems based on three new sets of arbitrary numbers.

I think there's a different opportunity here though. I think it might be helpful for users who consistently provide a lot of help in one area to be awarded a kind of badge that certifies that they probably know what they're talking about, to help members seeking help to filter through information. I don't think this kind of a badge could be automatically allocated, it would need to be allocated by a section moderator. For instance, in the study help forums, people who consistently post high quality and helpful responses (i.e. not 'the answer is 5x') could get some kind of a badge to let users seeking help know that you might be able to provide them with genuine help. Or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
I think there's a different opportunity here though. I think it might be helpful for users who consistently provide a lot of help in one area to be awarded a kind of badge that certifies that they probably know what they're talking about, to help members seeking help to filter through information. I don't think this kind of a badge could be automatically allocated, it would need to be allocated by a section moderator. For instance, in the study help forums, people who consistently post high quality and helpful responses (i.e. not 'the answer is 5x') could get some kind of a badge to let users seeking help know that you might be able to provide them with genuine help. Or something.

I really like this idea.
Reply 37
Original post by Chlorophile
Honestly, not a fan. With no offence meant, this feels a bit gimicky and unnecessary. We've already got the rep system based on quantitative numbers, we don't need three new systems based on three new sets of arbitrary numbers.

So with awarding badges manually, the only way you'd get it if once you're recognised as a credible source? I suppose that works because if you often post helpful stuff then your name gets recognised (I'm sure certain users come to mind when it comes to helpful answers).

I know having an automatic system makes it easier for the staff because they don't have to think about awarding badges on top of all their other duties, but there's always room for exploits. Currently it seems a bit like an achievement list, especially because you've got 'potential' badges faded on the profile, maybe if you don't show what's available it makes users less likely to 'unlock' them all (via exploits) and give themselves an ego complex?
I would like to see maybe a bigger range of badges (I know this takes time!) then users can choose and customise which badges they've received are shown at the top of their profile - this is what's used on DeviantART and works really, really well!
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
So with awarding badges manually, the only way you'd get it if once you're recognised as a credible source? I suppose that works because if you often post helpful stuff then your name gets recognised (I'm sure certain users come to mind when it comes to helpful answers).

I know having an automatic system makes it easier for the staff because they don't have to think about awarding badges on top of all their other duties, but there's always room for exploits. Currently it seems a bit like an achievement list, especially because you've got 'potential' badges faded on the profile, maybe if you don't show what's available it makes users less likely to 'unlock' them all (via exploits) and give themselves an ego complex?

Yes. It's not very hard to work out who the credible sources are if you hang around a certain forum for a while but it would help people who don't spend their entire lives on TSR quickly identify responses worth listening to. I think the two competitions that ran on TSR over the past month really proved that you can't reliably use numbers to quantify helpfulness. They can give a good indication, definitely, but there are too many flaws.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending