The Student Room Group

I've been taxed 20%, can anyone help?

My annual income is £3,484 and I've been taxed 20%. I just started this job 4 weeks ago and I got paid recently. My tax code is 0T and according to the government website, I should have given my employer my P45.

But they never asked for one and I didn't know I even had to give them one :/
I tried calling HMRC, but apparently, they're too busy and won't even take my call. The automatic person hung up on me.

I'm not sure exactly what to do. Call HMRC again and persist? Or do I need to give my employer my P45? I mean, since I've already been taxed, is it too late to give them my P45?

Thank you!
It's an emergency tax code and yeah you should have, if you had a previous job. (or is it the P46? I'm new to this tax stuff lol)
Just keep calling HMRC and say to the automatic person you'd like an advisor and they'll put you on hold...how long on hold can vary but you'll get through eventually.
Doesn't matter if you've be taxed already, you'll be payed back once they correct your code?
Only HMRC will be able to help you claim your tax back. Try calling them between 8am and 9am or 7pm and 8pm, these are the least busy times.
Have you NI number ready to hand and explain your situation. They'll correct your tax code with your employer and you should get the tax back on your next paycheck.
Reply 3
Thanks!

I have a P45 from the job centre as I was unemployed before for about 3 months. Will I still have to give that to my employer even if I call HMRC? I'm asking because I moved city and I'd need to get my mum to send me that P45 as I don't have it in my new house.
Reply 4
Original post by Emmak7
My annual income is £3,484 and I've been taxed 20%. I just started this job 4 weeks ago and I got paid recently. My tax code is 0T and according to the government website, I should have given my employer my P45.

I tried calling HMRC, but apparently, they're too busy and won't even take my call. The automatic person hung up on me.

I'm not sure exactly what to do. Call HMRC again and persist? Or do I need to give my employer my P45? I mean, since I've already been taxed, is it too late to give them my P45?

Thank you!

Same thing happened to me and I sorted it out by contacting them and re-sending my P46 because they had managed to lose the one I had sent before...
As the person above me said, it is an emergency tax code which is used when they do not know which code to put you on. You should get all of the money you were taxed back once they have sorted it out. Your income is less than £10k so you shouldn't be taxed at all :smile: Or, you will be taxed but you can claim it back at the end of the year.

So, speak to your employer and keep persisting with HMRC. Good luck!
You have to give your new emplyer your P45 or fill in a P46.
Don't HMRC use a chargeable phone number?
Original post by Emmak7

Thank you!

You have probably just been emergency taxed.
Phone the tax office again, you may be on hold for a while if the lines are busy, but you will get through eventually. Its the tax office who needs to sort it out. They can change your tax code to the right one so you dont get taxed.
Original post by balotelli12
Don't HMRC use a chargeable phone number?

They're all 0300 so local rate / inclusive minutes
You also get taxed on things you buy or house tax pension tax so it ain't twenty per cent we all getting ripped off you pay twenty per cent of what you earn why you pay eighty per cent tax on **** you have already paid your tax it's illegal or it would be fourth percent of sixty or eighty the whole tax should be done only once and I bet that not on there quotation it's illegal twenty per cent

Latest

Trending

Trending